1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 AM
Suspended

Default T-5 ??

Can some one tell me if or if not this can be done. I have a junk yard close to me that has a t-5 out of a Firebird that I can buy for little of nothing. I have in my 73 GTO right now an M-22 rock crusher & like it a lot , but with 3:73 rear gears I get low low gas mileage. I would like to know ahead of time if & happen to get it will it be a direct fit. Can I just pull my 4 spd. out & just slide the T-5 in it's place? I know the 11" clutch disc is an 11" piece with fine spline, but does the T-5 have the same & will it bolt right up to my std. Pontiac bell housing. Or do I have to change a bunch of things. Also will I be able to use my std. linkage. DO I have to change it to a hyd. clutch & through bearing. ???

Old 03-27-2016, 11:30 PM

Rex, the T5 is marginal for the TPI 305 and will not do well with the torque of your Pontiac....if the other issues can be overcome.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

It can be done but I don't think its easy or cheap? As said, the T-5 was made for milage, not strength. It could last if driven with kid gloves buuuut what fun is that?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:28 PM

Healthy Ford 302s launching relatively light Fox chassis cars with sticky tires can twist the input shaft. That and they're just not as available as they used to be, move along.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a Gear Vendors OD for that Muncie.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Suspended

That has been my thought for the gear vendors box, but was wondering about the possible ease of the trans swap with the power I'm running it sounds like I'd need as one put it wing nuts to be able to swap them out daily. Thanks for the help guys.