Old 09-05-2002, 09:14 PM

I just bought new rotors and calipers, the passenger side caliper though has the brake hose in front of the bleeder and takes the hose angled up and forward putting it in a bind with the upper control arm. My old caliper has the hose angled toward the passenger compartment before going up into the wheel well. NAPA part 242-2014 worked great for drivers side, but 242-2015 isn't matching my passenger side. Help is appreciated..

Old 09-05-2002, 09:14 PM

I just bought new rotors and calipers, the passenger side caliper though has the brake hose in front of the bleeder and takes the hose angled up and forward putting it in a bind with the upper control arm. My old caliper has the hose angled toward the passenger compartment before going up into the wheel well. NAPA part 242-2014 worked great for drivers side, but 242-2015 isn't matching my passenger side. Help is appreciated..

Old 09-05-2002, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

Sounds like you got two of the same calipers in two different boxes? I got mine from the local PAPA store here in Maryland and the went on without a hitch! Try exchanging the one that is wrong for another one and see if it comes in right!

Old 09-06-2002, 12:16 AM

I am going first thing in the morning to hopefully exchange it, but was hoping to have options if there codes don't provide quick relief.
Would like to have brakes done by noon and finish ripping out the interior in the afternoon.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:39 PM

Ok, everything is now fine. It was a case of the wrong caliper in the right box....Now of course will have to replace the line as well.

Old 09-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Senior Chief

Glad all is working out! Sounded like that was the case but, you never know for sure!!!! It is even harder looking at this screen and trying to figure out these problems! You gotta love parts stores(lol) they can really screw up your weekend! I used to work the counter so I am really weary of them now!!!! Hope it all works out, let me know if you need any help I will do my best to steer you in the right direction! You know us "Red Headed Stepchildren" gotta stick together! It isn't only hard finding parts for a Pontiac we had to pick the un-popular year!

Old 09-07-2002, 01:02 AM

Goatee, I know the feeling...second class to those that have a Tempest body GTO or a Lemans body GTO, Put GTO option on a lighter Ventura and the GOAT family was embarrased..Bet they would have accepted us with a hood tach and 400 and 455 options. I still don't understand why Pontiac did not make those motors available as options on our year, they were right there going in the Trans-Am. Though not extremely popular, we have 3 of them in our Gateway GTOA club. May actually get to drive mine to a meeting someday!!!
Well not out of the woods, Now not getting fluid into the passenger caliper, hope it is the soft line and not the main hard line. Sure they have that line at the counter!!!

[ September 07, 2002, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: 74redGTO ]

Old 09-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many times have you heard, "Nice Nova" or "where did you get those GTO stickers?"

Old 09-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

A 400 or 455 would have been sweet and given a little more respect to the name and us! There could of even been a Super Duty option!!!!! As for the being lighter part? I think the only one we are lighter than is the 73 and I am not even sure of that(lol) Don't be fooled into thinking these cars are light! My car is no where near stock and I have lightened it a good bit and it weighed in at 3870 with me in the driver seat?!?!? I know I am no little person but I only make up @ 270lbs of that! That puts my car at 3600 and that is by no means a light weight. I am going to put both the car and I on a diet this winter and see if I can get down to @ 3600 with me in the car(lol), ought to be fun! My two favorite things are eating and racing in no particular order! As for the "nice Nova idiots" I got one thing to say,"No Nova, Pure Pontiac"! The car may of been on the same format but the are miles apart on styling and performance when done right! As a side note we were talking about a 400 in a Ventura, I purchased my first car a 74 Ventura "Sprint" when I was 14. I fixed it up in Vo-tech and then started driving at 16. I never could understand why that car ran so good until I realized after pulling the motor to rebuild it that it had a "service replacment" 400 under the hood! Was a shock and pleasure all in the same! Keep the chin up, at least we have someone else to take some of the heat now with the 2004 release of the "new" GTO! There are alot of people in this world that don't adapt well to change!!!!!

Old 09-09-2002, 12:51 AM

The people who rebuilt my transmission I don't think ever did believe that it wasn't a customized NOVA. I can't believe how many parts suppliers I have called that when I say 74 GTO don't get it. Mention that it is a Ventura optioned GTO and they ask "Which is it? A Ventura or a GTO? Are you sure?...The Rodney Dangerfield of automobiles. But I have to say, thank goodness for NOVA's. They have provided my sail panels, rear interior quarter panel, my Dash Pad and soon maybe a new heater control.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys, I,ve got the ultimate 74 story for you!!! back in 1988 I get a phone call from a guy that says he got my number from someone else who said I had a 74 Nova with a pontiac motor LOL!!! Anyways, this guy procedes to tell me that he has a Ventura someone put a Trans-am scoop on, would I be interested in buying it. I asked him what was the 5th character of the vin. He said a "B"' I said I'd be right over. Low and behold, what did I find? 74 GTO, Bucaneer red with a red interior, guage package (working tack) air conditioning, front disks, 3;08 posi rear NUMBERS MATCHING CAR WITH THE RED< WHITE AND BLUE STRIPE DOWN THE SIDE!!!!! Yea, she was rusty, but I drove her home for $450.00 dollars. Ironicly, the brake on the front right disk is tore apart right now because the right front caliper locked up!!!! Need to restore her one day as the cancer is spreading!!!

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 09-09-2002, 11:02 PM

great story....I feel guilty at times not restoring mine to as close to original as possible. But I keep thinking I went from the original 3 speed to 4 speed to th-400w/gear vendors and 350 to 400 to soon a 462 for some reason? Though it doesn't seem as good an idea as it use too. Good luck on your restoration...