Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds to me like you have enough evidence to support doing the interior in blue/white, which would be very cool. I would restore it that way if you're confident it's correct. After all, Adriatic blue wasn't supposed to be available on a T/A, either.

Definitely wouldn't change it because of the way it might be classed at the TA Nats or POCI. Fine organizations, but not worthy of your altering the car from the way it was originally built-

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 AM

Go with the blue.
You've got the proof
plus it will make it so unique.

My two cents

Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sd455hota, Is there any indication on the build sheet that this car was special, other than the comments that you mentioned? This is not a car that would have been built for dealer stock. It was very likely made specifically for someone that had some clout with Pontiac. I could be way off here, maybe you could plop down $62 and run the plant through all those hoops but that seems improbable. Might have been a dealer with some influence or an influential GM retiree or for a relative of a GM exec. Was the original delivering dealer listed as a conventional dealer? Temple, TX does seem like an out-of-the-way place for anyone that would have been employed by GM or an ad agency at the time. Any info that you can provide might give some insight into the car's history.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles
sd455hota, Is there any indication on the build sheet that this car was special, other than the comments that you mentioned? This is not a car that would have been built for dealer stock. It was very likely made specifically for someone that had some clout with Pontiac. I could be way off here, maybe you could plop down $62 and run the plant through all those hoops but that seems improbable. Might have been a dealer with some influence or an influential GM retiree or for a relative of a GM exec. Was the original delivering dealer listed as a conventional dealer? Temple, TX does seem like an out-of-the-way place for anyone that would have been employed by GM or an ad agency at the time. Any info that you can provide might give some insight into the car's history.
No doubt in my mind that this car was built for someone special. Definitely a GM executive or similar deal. That's why I remarked earlier about the cowl tag date vs. the invoice date. My money's on a long lag time between the cowl tag and invoice dates. Meaning it was driven with an open MSO for some period of time.

Let's hear more about that invoice - dated significantly later than the cowl tag?

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
No doubt in my mind that this car was built for someone special. Definitely a GM executive or similar deal. That's why I remarked earlier about the cowl tag date vs. the invoice date. My money's on a long lag time between the cowl tag and invoice dates. Meaning it was driven with an open MSO for some period of time.

Let's hear more about that invoice - dated significantly later than the cowl tag?
Build date on cowl tag is 03D. Ship date on invoice is 04-03-72. Selling dealer was Friendly Pontiac GMC in Temple TX

Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with giles and Lloyd, this very interesting car probably wasn't something that just "anyone" could order. Most likely, someone on the inside or with connections to the inside ordered this car. If was that easy to purchase a special car like this, there would be a whole lot more one-off Trans Ams surfacing by now. This will definitely be a very sharp looking car when it's completed and I can't wait to see what that color combination looks like.

Jim

Old 10-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd455hota
Build date on cowl tag is 03D. Ship date on invoice is 04-03-72. Selling dealer was Friendly Pontiac GMC in Temple TX
Well, I was dead wrong.

Still had to be a VERY special order car. I wonder if there might have been a retired Pontiac or GM exec living in the area around that time?

Hmmmmm . . .

Old 08-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to Ransom, i just got directed to this thread.
Had no idea this was your car (sd455hota) when it was discussed in other posts - in other threads.

Dynamite unique Trans Am !!
Had to have been ordered with some heavy clout behind it.
I would have kept the interior blue accents intact too, which way did you restore the interior ?

Any chance you can post a copy of the PHS Invoice ?
Maybe even the partial Buildsheet ?

Or email me copies if its classified info ?

Thanks man

Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PHS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan.pdf (185.4 KB, 306 views)

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd455hota View Post
PHS
Thanks, Steve.
A relatively low option count considering how special the car is.

Sure would be interesting to find out who this T/A was ordered for!
What retired GM or Pontiac exec lived in the central TX area back then?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did the resto get completed on this car? How did it turn out?

Thanks,

Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
I believe "SCO" stands for "Special Color Option"
SCO means "Special Car Order" not the above.

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what color is adriatic blue???

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...ntiac-pg01.jpg

Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
what color is adriatic blue???
Close enough to Lucerne that in a photo of a car I think you'd be hard pressed to know the difference.

Wonder why if someone got through all the red tape to get a special color, they painted it one that was so close to an available color...?

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
thanks, i couldnt pull it up for some reason. i was thinking the same thing that keith posted. in my mind i was picturing a very light metallic blue, but that looks just like lucerne to me. hmmmmm

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, thank you for sharing with us.
I think this is my favorite 72 TA now.

Agree with trishieldchief on the SCO.
And the charge was likely for the interior appointments - and extra trouble of keeping up with the special instructions.

By this example and the Black 72, evidently there was no charge for certain other similar lineage colors on a 72 TA. You just had to be the right somebody, who knew the right somebody.

Download this DuPont chart, then explode it, and angle your monitor forwards some.
Its not night and day from Lucerne, but new in 72 side-by-side, it would contrast Lucy.
The color probably lent itself better to the Blue 72 interior color also.
I'm not so fond of 71 72 Lucy with Blue guts.
I'm crazy about 70.5 bright blue interiors tho.

Would really like to see this car as new inside and out, and striped up.
Some guy knew exactly what he wanted, and got it.

After some sun fade in Texas, it would have gotten silver-er.
Very well could be the car spoken of as Silver -
think it was mentioned to be in Texas too ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 DuPont GM chips 1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	294395  

Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with you guys that why go with adriatic over lucerne? All the colors to choose from and they went with that. And if I remember right when you went the extra to get a 'special order' color you could choose from any GM color. Maybe not the case in 72 though or maybe Pontiac already had all the available GM colors. Seems like Caddy usually had a couple unique colors though. I can tell you if the trim tag and PHS on my 72 had --- instead of the paint code, I would do a lot of thinking before I went with adriatic over something else. With the trim tag just showing white deluxe (which would have black appointments) I would have been good to go with about any exterior color. Picture a sundance orange TA with black and white stripes and interior. As for my car, it's still not done but I think it may get some progress this winter.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have a 72 TA that is an original code D adriatic blue car. Documented through PHS. Does anyone out there have or know of any other 70-72 TAs that were originaly a color other than white or lucerne blue. Any info would be appreciated. Reply through here or email me at grnsd73@inebraska.com thanks
wow, bet the white in the stripes really "pops"! love to see pics

Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I agree with you guys that why go with adriatic over lucerne? All the colors to choose from and they went with that. And if I remember right when you went the extra to get a 'special order' color you could choose from any GM color. Maybe not the case in 72 though or maybe Pontiac already had all the available GM colors. Seems like Caddy usually had a couple unique colors though. I can tell you if the trim tag and PHS on my 72 had --- instead of the paint code, I would do a lot of thinking before I went with adriatic over something else. With the trim tag just showing white deluxe (which would have black appointments) I would have been good to go with about any exterior color. Picture a sundance orange TA with black and white stripes and interior. As for my car, it's still not done but I think it may get some progress this winter.
Colors were F body choices ( Camaro and Bird) and many of those were corporate with different names. Starlight shows up all the way at end of the 2nd gen too.