Old 02-12-2024, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

incase it bears repeating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Please , please, Verify the Shape (cross section) is the exact same, and same size. There are a ton of not so good repops, including late 80's GM stuff.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I've learned that. Also I have my original '70 & '72 to compare the W/S with. The 9825829 GM part I bought eons ago is latex covered and is nice and soft, but is taller than the original item. The Ames part is close to correct dimensions but is a simple extrusion, no bottom end stiffener or latex coating. Most importantly it is not as soft (compressible). Keep those helpful comments coming in. I'll make a final decision one of these days (soon).

I've learned of Fairchild Industries brand, so I ordered one to compare with these others I have.

The search goes on!! Maybe Tfor5 can help me out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 06:58 AM

The GM seal changed over they years, possibly supplier rather than improvements, but even while it was rubber, latex coated, hollow in different areas, solid sponge or rope core, it still had the same part number, often a couple depending on length of seal. As in, it still didn't tell you what version you were getting, or what was used during production line use.

Hollow seals have benefits but haven't seen anyone actually give feedback on a comparison to the regular rubber seal they are still slamming to try and close.

The Following User Says Thank You to Red80TA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure where this fits in?

Old 02-13-2024, 11:32 AM

3060942 is the shorter version of the 9825829 seal, 13' vs 25'.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red80TA View Post
3060942 is the shorter version of the 9825829 seal, 13' vs 25'.
Shorter version, no string, plastic lower stiffener and much taller than the original assembly line part. Still better though than some of the repros.
IIRC, that number was made in Canada.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watch the 1A auto video I mentioned / linked above..
Cross section and exact height is crucial.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:38 AM

Precision trunk seal is what 1A use in video. It is the same seal supplied to Classic, OER and similar places. The bags are labelled everywhere about being registered in the US, it is made in Taiwan.....or TW, as it says in tiny letters.

This is the type used, it is not F-body type/size being sold by others, they all seem to fit the same 1/2" channel so swapping around works.

https://catalog.prp.com/images/Websi...1_SA_LGE-2.jpg

This is the listing for Precision 70-81 F body seal.

https://catalog.prp.com/images/Websi...0_SA_LGE-2.jpg

And then many others list either and to suit all models GM. I have the Precision K3020 here, same that is labelled for Classic or OER etc, and is the standard 1" tall type, taller than both of the other versions. So rather than selecting a brand or shop that says it fits your model, you may need to request a particular part number. How tall was stock GM, production era? How easily did it compress, or seal? These seals are probably all fine, in their own application, but if hard to close the lid on these vehicles you generally need a softer version of same, or shorter version in height, or combination of both.

Just to remain confusing, here's another cross-section that claims to be the same thing. 1" tall which is fairly standard and generic. But 3/8" base. What's the channel size on a Firebird? I don't have access to one here. Is it meant to be a snug fit or are the larger sizes perhaps compressed slightly to fit? The K3020 bag I have here is halfway between the 3/8 and 1/2" wide at base, but also tapered as it goes up.

https://www.steelerubber.com/trunk-w...rip-82-0028-84

Last edited by Red80TA; 02-14-2024 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Requesting a specific part number? Thats a crap shoot as many numbers are homogolated into a " one size fits all"
To avoid all this confusion, and others " trying" out misc seals, which I did do, the OER we tested was Not the same. I know, personally I am done trimming the bottom, because the seal is to tall, or trying to cram a seal thats not correct shape into the gutter.
The 1A auto seal is cheap. And fits. You can watch it installed in a vintage Pontiac.
This really need to be "blueprinted" ??

Old 02-14-2024, 12:48 PM

If you actually read my reply you'd see I was clarifying the details that were in the video, the brand and the part number used. Or just guess since part numbers don't matter. The crucial height, wasn't even crucial enough to mention, so I did.
That's where it is pointed out that the seal used was not even one for F bodies. So again, a part number is handy or you won't find it. That is assuming you only want it based on the height.
So I added their other 2 common sizes as well, the last of which is used by everyone. Or just rely on vague suggestions of limited detail but still expect an exact and calculated result.

Last edited by Red80TA; 02-14-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once I get the Fairchild W/S in few days, I'll take a cross-section pic showing the differences between all the brands I've assembled. You guys can then take advantage of my research and make your own decisions.

BTW, my understanding is that, if any vender has 3020 as a part of the part number, that's manufactured by Metro, regardless of the name on the packaging.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 09:32 PM

Is Fairchild the one with 2 hollow sections? I nearly bought a pack in my last order but it bumped up shipping to double, had to remove again, not urgent.

I couldn't find any link to Metro US rubber and a bag from Taiwan. I wouldn't be surprised if they also shared or repackaged some products, or used the same supplier in US or elsewhere with their own packaging. Happens with other brands. The comment was in regards to many resto shops that don't list a brand name, or list their shop as the brand, but also some common names likes OER and Classic (one and the same anyway) are usually the same stock with different labels. And that being the standard 1" and hard to close solid rubber seal. The one guys want to avoid.

Last edited by Red80TA; 02-14-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red80TA View Post
If you actually read my reply you'd see I was clarifying the details that were in the video, the brand and the part number used. Or just guess since part numbers don't matter. The crucial height, wasn't even crucial enough to mention, so I did.
That's where it is pointed out that the seal used was not even one for F bodies. So again, a part number is handy or you won't find it. That is assuming you only want it based on the height.
So I added their other 2 common sizes as well, the last of which is used by everyone. Or just rely on vague suggestions of limited detail but still expect an exact and calculated result.
No offense was meant. I tested and found what they sell fits well.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:11 AM

None taken, was just trying to clear up the fact that if that's the seal you found worked then others can track it down and know that it isn't one normally specified for F body. As we know, those ones usually comes with dramas.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciated seeing the cross sections;
The one used in the video was 101, the one they sell for the F-body is 100;
I had assumed that the 101 was the same as the 100 but a different length.

Still following...

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Weatherstrip Comparison Pics

I finally got the last weatherstrip brand in, to compare the 6 different styles I now have. I only am showing the 4 main "competitors" that were my top choices.

From the left; my original (Van Nuys installed) W/S from the TA. #2 is the Ames item. #3 is the Precision Industries offering and 4th is the GM Service Replacement part #9825829 I bought in the '80's.

Softest one is the old original in spite of it being 53 years old. The GM SR molding is next softest,. but is 1 1/4" tall. The correct 1970 - 72 dimension is 1". some info I read says that 1973 started the factory installation of the 1 1/4" W/S.
There is no #3 in softness (compressibility) since all the others are quite firm, basically identical. Those would be the "non-holed" Metro, the Precision (appears the same as the newer Metro with 2 holes) and the Ames. Didn't include a pic of the older design Metro since there was no visible difference.

BTW, only the 2 GM items were latex coated. I found no aftermarket stripping that is coated. All are extrusions.

I'm leaning towards using the Ames part since it matches the original appearance the best (IMO). But am concerned about the low compressibility. GM SR part though tall, compresses better than any of the others.
(Can you believe anyone could be so obsessive that they'd sweat this detail??)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W-S compare #2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	628978   Click image for larger version

Name:	W-S compare #3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	628979  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To use the GM version you must slice some ( evenly) off the bottom, been there.
Your original has a Flat bottom, the size of the gutter. That one, and the 3rd one are the ONLY ones that will sit FLUSH to the Bottom, yeah been There.
Too firm, they will pull out of the gutter, and cause issues closing.
# 3 passes the dollar bill test. gets a grip, but can pull out without ripping.
#3 has a perfect SHELF to fit under the gutter lip.
1A auto FTW.... next?>
Let You and the garden hose be the judge...

Old 02-20-2024, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it's really interesting to see the differences here;
the Ames part looks to have the closest cross section to the original.

I wonder if there was intentionality on the Ames part not having the same bottom so that it might sit nicely/unmodified in a factory gutter...??

I would guess, after looking at these, that the SR GM part was a profile made for another application, which could be made to work - ergo, it became the replacement part so that there would be no justification to continue making the original style (for a car model that was presumably out of production for many years).

I like that the 'precision industries' has added hollows to aid in compressibility;
I wonder why they deviated so greatly from the original cross section - was this done because this "new" type would work for multiple applications (versus the original stuff only working for 70-81 F-bodies).

Old 02-20-2024, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
it's really interesting to see the differences here;
the Ames part looks to have the closest cross section to the original.

I like that the 'precision industries' has added hollows to aid in compressibility;.
That would seem to be good reasoning based on simply looking at my pics. However the denseness of the foam even with the two holes (tunnels?) ends up with it being no more compressible than the Ames part without holes.

Interesting to note as I was setting up these pieces to take a pic in the vise and rag, that the two stiffest ones kept wanting to "roll over" sideways while the two GM parts stayed put and compressed easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Then I could always splurge on this one!! No doubt it's correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176220573076

That one looks like it has begun to crack. I used Soft Seal first, then removed it and put one from Metro in place.

Ken C.