Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Firewall Markings

Yes I know this topic has been discussed here before.

After closer viewing of the two "Best Untouched Factory Original 65 Engine Bays" (just my opinion) on this forum I see faint markings on the firewalls.

First pic of Option 382's 65 (BAL Built) seems to show a "12" beneath the underhood lamp.

Second pic shows RAII 4-speed's 65 (BF Built) with the letter "A" next to the voltage regulator.

Cool Stuff when viewing "Original Cars"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 GTO BAL Built.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	372743   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Voltage Regulator.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	372744  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

And I did not know I even had that on my car. You know my car better than I do!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
I've found sometimes things pop out in the photos that you don't notice in real life.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-09-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Yes I know this topic has been discussed here before.

After closer viewing of the two "Best Untouched Factory Original 65 Engine Bays" (just my opinion) on this forum I see faint markings on the firewalls.

First pic of Option 382's 65 (BAL Built) seems to show a "12" beneath the underhood lamp.

Second pic shows RAII 4-speed's 65 (BF Built) with the letter "A" next to the voltage regulator.

Cool Stuff when viewing "Original Cars"!
Not sure how I feel about being left out of the discussion... Am I number 3? (I can live with that).

I will remind you that the cylinder heads/valvecovers and tripower currently installed on my car are not original but everything else (anything related to paint or appearance) is original.

Having said that the only markings I see are what appears to be an "OK" under the voltage regulator (I've never removed it to find out for sure) and a large "A" in the middle, which I'm sure denotes Starlight Black.

There is also a small rubber stamped "Line Test ok" on the cowl side, way down behind the fender well.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO Voltage regulator.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	372748   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Firewall 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	372749   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Firewall 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	372750   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7118.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	372751  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Not sure how I feel about being left out of the discussion...
Good Morning K,

I have praised you and your Awesome 65 Survivor in the past but as you are the first one to admit in other threads your GTO is not completely factory original under the hood.

I was careful to mention untouched "Engine Bays" which those two above mentioned 65's have.

In addition I don't have much of a selection of your engine bay pics like I do of others. I wish to have more clear detail photos of your car to help promote what these cars came like off the line 49 years ago.

Regards, Chris :-)

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I have praised you and your Awesome 65 Survivor in the past but as you are the first one to admit in other threads your GTO is not completely factory original under the hood.
Agreed; by my own admission. Pics added above.

On a related note, I consider the Ed Lis car to be the lowest mileage most unmolested '65 GTO in existance. You seem to have some concerns with Ed's car and don't seem to share that perspective. I am interested to know why that is, so that you and I can be on the same page.

Feel free to send me a PM if you do not think it is appropriate to respond here.

Thanks in advance -

K

Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My respects to the late Ed Lis.

We all have our opinions and mine is how could a car such as the 65 you seem to put above all others have a "full chrome dash bezel" (not painted black) and a "Tempest" tail panel bezel that a blind man can detect the ribs are noticeably different??

The guys on the line with that car must have had a really bad day. Plus no one else noticed those two large glaring issues at any quality control check?

Keith, you understand better that any of us how the system seems to work but you have to admit those two areas of the Ed Lis 65 are "questionable".

For this reason I will always put a handful of 65's including yours above that car when it comes to OEM correctness!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965 GTO Auction (16).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	372752   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Black GTO (4).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	372753  

Last edited by 60sstuff; 08-09-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

This thread shows some of the questionable items on his car. The last post just makes me wonder about the car.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ight=4200+mile

Note: The late Ed Lis' user name is 1969z280.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
I am with you as well I DID NOT know of that A on there.... WOW 60s Stuff you have good eyes!
I also have a red X on the firewall that is very easy to see , I will try to attach a picture.....

Old 08-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My respects to the late Ed Lis.

We all have our opinions and mine is how could a car such as the 65 you seem to put above all others have a "full chrome dash bezel" (not painted black) and a "Tempest" tail panel bezel that a blind man can detect the ribs are noticeably different??

The guys on the line with that car must have had a really bad day. Plus no one else noticed those two large glaring issues at any quality control check?

Keith, you understand better that any of us how the system seems to work but you have to admit those two areas of the Ed Lis 65 are "questionable".

For this reason I will always put a handful of 65's including yours above that car when it comes to OEM correctness!
Re: "Full chrome" bezel: so there is a concern beyond the missing woodgrain applique? I did not realize that. I am willing to concede that's mighty odd.

Re: Tempest tailpanel - you are right about my factory experience and in view of that I'd be willing to chalk that up as a factory build error.

It has been statistically shown that 100% inspection is not 100% effective. It's mighty hard to be perfect when you are building one car per minute, over a long period of time, especially in a zombie like state.

Admittedly it should have been caught but could have been missed if the inspector was new, not that well versed yet, or was moonlighting as a baseball umpire.

I used to think we were perfect but have been humbled by the number of factory mistakes pointed out to me now, especially big no-no's like VIN errors.

K

Old 08-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=the only markings I see are what appears to be an "OK" under the voltage regulator (I've never removed it to find out for sure) and a large "A" in the middle, which I'm sure denotes Starlight Black.

K[/QUOTE]

Keith Both your car and my car have the same A in the same area.
I disagree that it stands for starlight black as my car is Blue charcoal ext and blue interior.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed View Post
I am with you as well I DID NOT know of that A on there.... WOW 60s Stuff you have good eyes!
I also have a red X on the firewall that is very easy to see , I will try to attach a picture.....

RAII 4-speed

I would wager that if you removed the regulator, you will find a second digit representing the upper body code. On the photos below, the A was faintly visible under the black firewall paint, and the second A (hardtop) was only visible when the regulator was removed, again under the black firewall paint.

In the first photo, the A is barely visible to the right (passenger) side of the three regulator retaining bolts. In the second photo, the A is barely visible inside and below the three regulator retaining bolts.

I have only noted the use of the "X" (also have noted the "O") on cars made in Fremont. Unlike most of the notations/markings/stamps used at the other three * plants, the X's or O's have been provided above the black firewall paint. I have only noted the X and O in white on the '64's, never in red (perhaps red oxide primer coming through). Yours is the first use of the X on a '65 that I have seen, although I'm not prone to study '65's to any great extent. There was some discussion on the use of the X and O last year, as well as should these markings be above or below the black firewall/panel paint.

* The Pontiac Plant used three rubber stampings on the firewall that was above the black firewall paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 Firewall Markings 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	372825   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Firewall Markings 002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	372826  

Last edited by JAKE 64; 08-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE 64 View Post
RAII 4-speed

I would wager that if you removed the regulator, you will find a second digit representing the upper body code. On the photos below, the A was faintly visible under the black firewall paint, and the second A (hardtop) was only visible when the regulator was removed, again under the black firewall paint.

In the first photo, the A is barely visible to the right (passenger) side of the three regulator retaining bolts. In the second photo, the A is barely visible inside and below the three regulator retaining bolts.

I have only noted the use of the "X" (also have noted the "O") on cars made in Fremont. Unlike most of the notations/markings/stamps used at the other three * plants, the X's or O's have been provided above the black firewall paint. I have only noted the X and O in white on the '64's, never in red (perhaps red oxide primer coming through). Yours is the first use of the X on a '65 that I have seen, although I'm not prone to study '65's to any great extent. There was some discussion on the use of the X and O last year, as well as should these markings be above or below the black firewall/panel paint.

* The Pontiac Plant used three rubber stampings on the firewall that was above the black firewall paint.
Jake, what do you think the A on my car represents?
BTW, my car is Blue exterior with blue interior and it has a white Convertible top.
And my car was built in Freemont first week of December 1964
And the red X If I wanted to, I could wipe it off as it is above the paint on the firewall and no there is no red primer showing thru.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Keith Both your car and my car have the same A in the same area.
I disagree that it stands for starlight black as my car is Blue charcoal ext and blue interior.
I don't think there's much room for debate on this; we know through anecdotal evidence (interviews with plant employees) and study of actual vehicles that the paint code was added as a "heads up" to the downstream workers what color was coming.

Here's one from '64: "W" in this context = Nocturne Blue.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img132.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	372932  

Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I don't think there's much room for debate on this; we know through anecdotal evidence (interviews with plant employees) and study of actual vehicles that the paint code was added as a "heads up" to the downstream workers what color was coming.

Here's one from '64: "W" in this context = Nocturne Blue.

K
Keith, I think there is a lot of room for debate here as no one including you have answered the question "What do you think the A on my car represents?"
A does not = Starlight black on a blue car......

Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 AM

not too much to see on my cars firewall as it has been touched up at some point
but there is some under hood markings you guys may be interested in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	372935   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	372936   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	372937  

original ca car
Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Keith, I think there is a lot of room for debate here as no one including you have answered the question "What do you think the A on my car represents?"
A does not = Starlight black on a blue car......
I'm not convinced that's an "A". There is a thick horizontal stroke above the top of the letter.

I think you would need to remove the condensor to be sure.

K

Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'm not convinced that's an "A". There is a thick horizontal stroke above the top of the letter.

I think you would need to remove the condensor to be sure.

K
Looks like an A to me....

Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As of now it sure looks like the letter "A".

But maybe something else is hiding under a portion of the voltage regulator?

John's 65 GTO is a Blue Charcoal as indicated by his documentation and codes with the letter "B" on data plate.

That firewall mark does not look like any kind of a "B" to me.

Note - The poor masking off of the data plate before painting the firewall at Fremont. Good Factory Stuff!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	372943