67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Default 1969 firebird trunk light question

I have a 1969 Firebird with the factory trunk light, code 652. The light has the mercury switch and functions properly, however never really noticed only when the headlight switch is on. Is this normal for this model? I have other cars and the light works when you open the trunk, no matter what. The wiring feed comes from the wiring harness location for the gas tank sender and license plate light, then has a short pigtail wire with a plug for the trunk light wire, which appears to be original. Thoughts? Thank you, Tom

Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I recall seeing, I'm pretty sure it should feed from the dome lamp connector junction on top of the LH wheel housings.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:50 PM

You are correct on the coupes, apparently on some convertibles however, which is what my car is and according to M an H Wiring, the feed is from the taillight harness to the license plate lamp, then has a trunk lamp extension harness from there, which feeds the trunk light. On some convertibles, there is not a connection block, above the wheel well. On coupes, this is where the dome light wiring plugs in and the extension harness if they are equiped with a trunk light, and provides a live feed for the car. On some convertibles, in order to use the trunk light, and not just on this car, however several other GM models, the headlight switch needs to be on for the trunk light to work. Something I've never noticed before. Just though my light was burned out. Guess not. Seems crazy to me.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 PM

Just finished installing the trunk light on my 67 convertible, and I'm guessing the 67 and 69 are basically the same. On the convertibles only the 12V feed is from the taillight harness so the trunk light only works when the lights are on. There is no "always on" 12V in the rear of a convertible to connect to. Of course you could always run a wire if you wanted to, but the accounting department apparently thought the extra cost was not worth it for the factory option.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM

Yep, I'm thinking they turned an intern loose for the engineering of this and a Sr. engineer didn't check his work for a live feed.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anyone has a trunk light for a 69 Bird I would be interested in it. Please PM me if you do. Thank You.

Tim john---