Old 04-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default I need some advice on selling my GTO

I need some advice on something I didn’t think would happen to me…….

It is unfortunate that things in life change as they do but I am realizing that as I am getting older (nearly 60) it is changing rapidly. My health has changed so much in the last 9 months that I still cannot believe what I am going through. I have had 7 surgeries since last July and I am schedule to have another one this coming Friday and the doctors are saying I need more to save my eyesight. I have gone blind twice so far and with the aid of surgery I regain my vision. I won’t go into details because the details are too boring. I may be jumping to conclusions but until you are in my shoes you have no idea what it is like to wake up in the morning and just before you open your eyes you wonder if you will be able to see. I may never lose my sight again and it may happen again tonight, the doctors are not sure. All I know is that I am being told that I have an incurable problem and everything that they are doing is experimental.

Because of this I have decided that I am going to sell my car now while I am still functioning and able to do so.

What this thread is for is to ask for advice on where I should advertise it to get as much exposure as I can get without going broke doing so.
I have used Ebay in the past but is it wise to use places like the ones I have listed below.
Collector Car .com
Auto Trader
Craigslist
RacingJunk
A muscle car broker

Sure I will list it here on PY and on Ultimate GTO, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
You guys are the pros and I am not, your advice is welcomed......

Even though I know my car is not a true Judge I needed to ask the guys in this forum because some of you may not go to the 69 GTO forum and I need all the suggestions I can get.

thanks, Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69_1 SCAN 011.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	129749  

Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off sorry to hear about what you're dealing with...I can't even imagine....

I would try ebay first...thats just me....set a reserve on what you would take for the car and if it surpasses that be happy that you're getting more for it than what you wanted. I'm assuming there's alot of medical bills with what you're going through so what ever extra money you can make the better. just my $0.02

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Chief

Why not decide the price you want and offer it here? No commission, good guys, and they will take care of the car. My only warning is that I would be cautious about "shopping a price" for too long. For instance, there are cars that have been on eBay so long that I think people have come to think something must be wrong with them. 1969 green Judge comes to mind. Its like a house. Too long on the market and people begin to perceive that a problem exists. I think that can happen even with just one eBay run.

Again, determine a fair price, maybe a little higher than fair in expectation of negotiation, then run it right here. If no one is interested, PY is a small enough market that you won't get "market burn" and you always have eBay or a broker to fall back on.

Lastly, be realistic. For the most part, RAIII cars are rarely, rarely 100K cars. Finally, finally consider the tax implications. I am not a tax attorney, but you have a basis in the car and you will sell it for more than the basis. Its likely a taxable, capital gain will result. Get all of your costs in place to raise the basis, consider the IRS hobby exemptions, speak with a tax consultant.

T.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG
you have a basis in the car and you will sell it for more than the basis. Its likely a taxable, capital gain will result. Get all of your costs in place to raise the basis, consider the IRS hobby exemptions, speak with a tax consultant.
There is a different long-term capital gain maximum rate for collectibles (28%) which is higher than the normal long-term capital gain rate of 20%. (Your actual rate may be less if your taxable income falls into a lower bracket.) The IRS commonly refers to coins and art for this collectibles category, and they may not apply this to a car. They rarely question anything if the numbers work. (Just an observation, not tax advice. )

If you don't need the cash and really want to keep the car, you could prepare the car for sale and have someone close by that would agree to show it if you were unable--just an idea.

I hope things go well for you!

Michael

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO's that nice are hard to let go of. Very sorry to hear of all the battles you're fighting. We all wish you better days and soon ahead. You're a real Trooper.

I think you would find your best overall buyer through this and/or some of the other Pontiac specific forums. I remember when you were hunting and found this one a couple years back. Its really nice looking in pics and has to be at least close to that condition.

The flippers aren't in a feeding frenzy right now, so you should get some serious contacts instead of mostly used car salesmen.

PHS RamIII 4spd Bench A/C Hideaways ExpressoParchment etc,,,

Best Wishes Nick

BVZ

Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation - wish you only the best and hope for a cure.

Hemmings, and some of the online muscle car trade sites are the best places to advertise your car.

As for posting it here - sorry to say we are the biggest bunch of cheapskates out there! If it isn't a screaming deal - you won't sell it here.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss
I'm very sorry to hear of your situation - wish you only the best and hope for a cure.

Hemmings, and some of the online muscle car trade sites are the best places to advertise your car.

As for posting it here - sorry to say we are the biggest bunch of cheapskates out there! If it isn't a screaming deal - you won't sell it here.
I would have to agree with The Boss here. Though I love the PY forums, I don't think they are the best place to sell a car - seems like a lot of tire-kickers, but maybe that's just me. Hemmings or eBay are where I'd go. As has been said, once a car is on the market too long, people don't want it anymore, even if it IS a great car & the price is right; over-exposure is never a good thing IMO.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Suspended

Craigslist is free and easy. The auto portion moves fast, so you're exposure is only a week at most before it drops so far down the list nobody looks there anymore.

I sure hope that they figure out what is wrong with your vision brother man.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Chief

Well I had surgery once again this morning and this time the side affects of the Chemo injections into the back of my right eye was less painfull so I can at least see with my right eye enough to type this message.
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question and I decided yesterday to write a classified up and I just listed the car here on PY tonight.
Will it sell, maybe, maybe not, I can only pray that it will.
Anyways, thanks again, Nick

Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Chief

Sure it will sell soon. Advertising locally then maybe the car will not be far and you could keep in touch with the new owner.
Best wishes too.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 PM

It's a beautiful, highly optioned car at an extremely fair price. I can't imagine it will be for sale for very long.

I hope everything turns out alright with your vision.

Kurt

Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 PM

good luck nick, i will definately spread the word locally, call if you need anything, jaime.