Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Idle Stop Solenoid 1969-1971 Ram Air cars?

Just curious if this ebay price makes any sense? Are these that hard to come by overall, or is the NOS factor that much of a kicker?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...spagenameZWD1V

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These can be hard to find, even in a clean, used condition.
They have been bringing some hefty money of late.

A good friend in the hobby made a good point:

He said often the parts stores would take back defective parts and lazy/forgetful store counter clerk might place it back on shelf, or in special area to send back later that never happened. One day, store closing and sold in a NOS parts treasure trove deal.

Many have the package open in these online auctions, maybe for pics but it makes you wonder.
Eelctrical related parts are hard to see any "defect".

Not implying anything is wrong with this one though.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

fishing....... ive seen in good used condition $45 & up some nos up to $250 that kind of money it should come with a happy ending!!!!

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Parts store things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper
These can be hard to find, even in a clean, used condition.
They have been bringing some hefty money of late.

A good friend in the hobby made a good point:

He said often the parts stores would take back defective parts and lazy/forgetful store counter clerk might place it back on shelf, or in special area to send back later that never happened. One day, store closing and sold in a NOS parts treasure trove deal.

Many have the package open in these online auctions, maybe for pics but it makes you wonder.
Eelctrical related parts are hard to see any "defect".

Not implying anything is wrong with this one though.
As an AC Delco parts store manager it is possible that could happen but more then likely a good customer ordered the item, plugged it in unmounted to test the system and found the new replacement item had the same results as the one on the car. It has only been the last 10-15 years techs have stopped using the parts try method (for the most part) of fixing cars for the most part as parts outlets have a tough time selling "tested" parts. The other very possible thing that happens very regularly is that a customer needs an item..........no real application so the parts guys open boxes trying to find a look-alike item. This was quite common in the points/carb era too.
For most electrical items a basic ohm test can verify the (burnt) tried problem, the problem with that is knowing what readings are acceptable for most items since the buyer usually has a broken one as a reference.
Just a parts guys opinion!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another good point. I can see that happening.

Are you in this line of work now?
Can you help with a question?
I am trying to find a complete set of AC/DELCO catalogs listing parts for 70 year +/-
Do you know how many section catalogs make up the entire set? Like tuneup, electrical etc?
Or....did they make a complete catalog?
Thanks.....Jeff

Old 05-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper
Another good point. I can see that happening.

Are you in this line of work now?
Can you help with a question?
I am trying to find a complete set of AC/DELCO catalogs listing parts for 70 year +/-
Do you know how many section catalogs make up the entire set? Like tuneup, electrical etc?
Or....did they make a complete catalog?
Thanks.....Jeff
Yes I manage an AC Delco distributorship here in Ontario Canada. A complete set of cats could be assembled over time if you looked hard enough at swap meets and e bay. Each area of delco was assigned a line code i.e. say ignition 1 & 1a. there are parts replacement books for normal service items and a complete set of line manuals (rare) Most of us tossed old cats as we took delivery of new ones as tons of storage space would be required to keep everything. shelf space in a parts stores has forced most owners/managers to maybe compile a set of history cats and line manuals for reference.
Is there something in particular you are wanting?
I have listings for most Delco parts back to the thirties & forties and could photo copy specific stuff and send it for costs if you would like? I also have offered a few times on e bay to send sheets with specific carbs part numbers and specs from the line 9-9X carb manuals but have had few inquires.
If your interested in anything specific please pm me.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I will.

A while back, I found a old collection of parts and needed for that purpose.
I still run up on NOS parts as well.

I have been acquiring/buying the segments of the catalog as I find them just for reference/collecting.

I appreciate the offer for help.