Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default steering column color

So, I need some guidance. A friend just picked up a '74 Formula, fairly original car. The steering column and formula wheel are same color as the Deluxe Cloth interior ( Saddle) . I got the impression that the 74's followed the same rules as the earlier years with respect to the Formula wheel, so they should be Black. This car has saddle column and Hub and wheel. Anyone clarify when the change over was? Was it '75? Thanks!
PS. I did see the Blue interior 32K Mile car in this forum with the black column and wheel.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the cowl tag code for the interior?

74 used the colored steering column with certain trim codes.
The wheels were color coded except for the Formula wheel though, which was still black. 1978 I think started using the colored Formula wheel with certain trim.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
What's the cowl tag code for the interior?

74 used the colored steering column with certain trim codes.
The wheels were color coded except for the Formula wheel though, which was still black. 1978 I think started using the colored Formula wheel with certain trim.

"SAD" is on the cowl tag and its the Deluxe Horse collar with Cloth. Does the Black wheel include the textured collar too?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, if it's the Formula wheel.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
So, I need some guidance.

A friend just picked up a '74 Formula, fairly original car. The steering column and formula wheel are same color as the Deluxe Cloth interior ( Saddle). I got the impression that the 74's followed the same rules as the earlier years with respect to the Formula wheel, so they should be Black. This car has saddle column and Hub and wheel. Anyone clarify when the change over was? Was it '75? Thanks!
PS. I did see the Blue interior 32K Mile car in this forum with the black column and wheel.
The first color keyed rpo usage Formula strg wheel was the camel rim/gold brushed steel spoke Formula wheel used when camel tan interior was originally ordered in a Y88 optioned '78 TransAm. Regular '78 TransAms ordered with camel tan interiors received a black Formula wheel. Ive owned both versions of '78 gold T/A's & have pulled original Formula wheels since the early '80's..

Any previous '70's Formula wheel equipped A, F, G, H, or X-body received a BLACK Formula steering wheel, the type correct for its model year. If we go back to early '72 model production & examine "Pearlie", the white pearl styling studio built T/A built for Bill Mitchell, that's the only pre '78 Y88 T/A with a color keyed column, hub, & horn cap (the Formula wheel itself was a thick rim Black formula wheel). The main reason colored keyed Formula wheels show up in pre Y88 T/A's is a later owner installed one.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you post a photo of the column? I think they also changed the turn signal area for the later model columns, so that may be a tell-tale as well.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 PM

I also just recently purchased a 1974 Formula as well. Have several questions on the Deluxe Vinyl Saddle interior. Can someone post some pics of the dash color, (the metal part in front of the actual dash pad)? Actually, several pics of the entire interior would be great, as I need pics of the saddle color of the front and rear seat belts, rear sail panels, lower rear seat panels. and lower door panels. Not sure if the previous owner changed the colors, as I know he changed the front seats from a newer model car......77 or 78, as the colors look more camel color to me. I have a 1970 Formula with the dark saddle interior and the difference in colors between the two cars is dramatic.

Thank you,

Tom

Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'oph nailed it.

'78 Y88 were some of the first to get color matched Formula wheels.
I believe that the Skybird was the other model to first receive a colour matched formula wheel - but I am unsure on when those first appeared colour matched.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith455 View Post
I also just recently purchased a 1974 Formula as well. Have several questions on the Deluxe Vinyl Saddle interior. Can someone post some pics of the dash color, (the metal part in front of the actual dash pad)? Actually, several pics of the entire interior would be great, as I need pics of the saddle color of the front and rear seat belts, rear sail panels, lower rear seat panels. and lower door panels. Not sure if the previous owner changed the colors, as I know he changed the front seats from a newer model car......77 or 78, as the colors look more camel color to me. I have a 1970 Formula with the dark saddle interior and the difference in colors between the two cars is dramatic.

Thank you,

Tom
My buddies car went right into storage, but Ill see about some pics. The metal part is same color as the column, Saddle. The seats have cloth inserts, and are deluxe. this car has deluxe belts though, which are different than std belts.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it could be that it was originally built with the (standard) for the Formula model "deluxe" wheel, and that was later replaced with a same colour "formula" wheel - I think this was a very common customization to this date.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 PM

My buddies car went right into storage, but Ill see about some pics. The metal part is same color as the column, Saddle. The seats have cloth inserts, and are deluxe. this car has deluxe belts though, which are different than std belts.

Thank you, Any pics would be helpful. So there is a difference in standard and deluxe belts......I think these were changed at some point to the standard belts, although the front buckle tongues don't match the rear. I just figured they were from a different year.