WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Transmission Tech

04-06 Transmission Tech Automatic or Manual trans issues

Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM

I have about 600 miles on my 04" GTO and I have missgeared twice due to inexperience with the 6speed layout. Each time I did it I was getting on her pretty hard and missed the gear sending my tach into the red for a split second (even chirped the tires)OUCHHH. I have done this twice and waould like to know if there is a chance I could have damaged my trans or motor all seems just fine but need to know if I should be looking out for something falling apart in the next 1000 miles. I am told the LS1 and the 6 speed trans are very tough and the chancves on me doing any damage form a common user error are doubtful but all of your input is appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM

I have about 600 miles on my 04" GTO and I have missgeared twice due to inexperience with the 6speed layout. Each time I did it I was getting on her pretty hard and missed the gear sending my tach into the red for a split second (even chirped the tires)OUCHHH. I have done this twice and waould like to know if there is a chance I could have damaged my trans or motor all seems just fine but need to know if I should be looking out for something falling apart in the next 1000 miles. I am told the LS1 and the 6 speed trans are very tough and the chancves on me doing any damage form a common user error are doubtful but all of your input is appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:21 PM

If you want a real answer go over to ls1gto.com. Here you will get nothing but grief for owning a new GTO.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or you could get a stupid answer like sals.
I wouldn't worry about the car. The engine and the trans should be able to take it. I would think there is a rev limiter of some kind that cuts in before you could ham fist it to bad. With less than 600 miles on it, I don't think its real good for it's longevity to be running it to hard however. Then there is always the warranty........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 PM

David, thanks for the response. I have not been all that hard on it. I didnt start getting on it until my 500 mile break in and still havent been to rough on her. Just taking off mildly fast and some second and third gear chirps. While on the subject how long would you break the motor in before you lay in to it?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LS1's don't need a break in period. Just start beating on it.

As far as the tranny, the most common problem is the driver going from 5th or 6th to 1st when they were trying to go to 3rd.

If that happens and you over rev it(and no the rev limiter won't help) you will bend pushrods which is better than breaking valves. You will notice the clacking if that happens.

Advice: Don't try to be a race car driver. Get used to the tranny, replace the stock shifter with a nice aftermarket one and have fun with your new GTO.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my roomie had a 98 SS 6 speed. he downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and blew it up. but he was haulin a** in 3rd. the push rods looked more like curved rods. where the pushrod goes thru the head was elongated (looked oval insted of round). and it was brand new. maybe 5,000 miles on it. he then got a 97 T/A and we tried to do everything possible to blow the motor (still under warranty) and couldnt do it. i feel sorry for whoever has that car now.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:24 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sal:
If you want a real answer go over to ls1gto.com. Here you will get nothing but grief for owning a new GTO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...Sal, I thought you were really on the verge of getting one? Now you make a post like this & all I can tell you is I've had manual cars for 33yrs & this is by far the best one I've owned! A lot of people just never achieve proficiency with a stick & these are the ones that bitch about them all the time on forums like these. Sure, there's going to be a bad tranny from time to time, but that'll be the exception, not the rule. It certainly isn't anything intrinsic to this gearbox. Some folks just don't ever seem to get a feel for shifting, especially with a 6spd. If you go right out jamming gears before the cars had a bit of a break-in & you've "learned" the tranny, then you're likely to screw up a few times & want to blame the trans for your own incompetence.