Old 04-20-2022, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 55-AMP alternator in original 37-AMP car

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is there any risk in running a 55 amp alternator in a car that was originally equipped with a 37 amp alternator? Can the factory harness take it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-20-2022, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a 105 amp alternator out of my '85 Olds 98 Regency Brougham into my '67 Cutlass (which originally had a 37a externally regulated alternator). No issues in the 20 years or so it's been in there...

Old 04-21-2022, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-21-2022, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a Powermaster alternator in my 61 when I added Vintage Air. I added an additional wire to the regulator and on to the junction block on the inner fender. Didn't need the regulator but I like the look of originality so I Left the regulator but disabled the internals and added a jumper from Bat to Gen terminals. That was just in case on a low battery charge it demanded more amperage to charge than the old wire would handle. Probably not necessary but a precaution. I also added a voltmeter. All load to power the car is no different and limited by the fuses anyway. Ammeter just site there as it is no longer in the circuit but still fills the spot in the dash.