Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 PM

Default Trim Rings for 15" Rally II Wheels

I posted this question in the ’74-’76 forum and I am cross-posting here to tap into some additional experts.

I have a ’74 Formula with 15” HM code Rally II wheels. I prefer the look of the squared-edge polished trim rings available on earlier year Firebirds, and I hope I can find some that don’t leave a 1/2” gap. I have searched on this forum and found the following:

P/N 9796696 – This the part number for the squared-edge, polished finish trim rings. But I believe that they leave a 1/2" gap between the trim ring edge and the wheel spokes.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the currently available reproductions available at Ames, Parts Place, or other sources? Do their reproductions leave a 1/2" gap?

Here are some pictures of the look that I am after. Squared-edge trim rings with no gap between the trim ring edge and the wheel. I would appreciate any input you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31202202-1974-pontiac-firebird-formula-std_edited-1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	591467   Click image for larger version

Name:	31202212-1974-pontiac-firebird-formula-std.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	591468  

The Following User Says Thank You to rbrtmchl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Subscribing

Old 06-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The trim rings that Olds used on their '75 - up Super Stock III heels have the sharp corner and polished not satin finish you like. Maybe check out 'ClassicOldsmobile.com' and look. Olds sold a lot of those wheels. They do fit the way you like.
As an alternative the satin finish Pontiac trim rings can be polished to a mirror finish by a plating shop. Looks pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to android 211 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2022, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Trim. Ring

I was told there are repops that look really close but not sure who sells them . I'm interested too

Old 06-05-2022, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
I was told there are repops that look really close but not sure who sells them . I'm interested too
I thought your car is a 14" wheel car. ??

Old 06-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My can has 14 inch cl but might get 15 inch rally 2 not sure yet. And since Juarez expensive later ones might work with correct trim ring, just leaving all options open

The Following User Says Thank You to Ramairnacho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by android 211 View Post
The trim rings that Olds used on their '75 - up Super Stock III heels have the sharp corner and polished not satin finish you like. Maybe check out 'ClassicOldsmobile.com' and look. Olds sold a lot of those wheels. They do fit the way you like.
As an alternative the satin finish Pontiac trim rings can be polished to a mirror finish by a plating shop. Looks pretty good.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Oldsmobile SSIII wheel trim rings. I will do some searching...

Last edited by rbrtmchl; 06-05-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

rbrtmchl,

Just in case you are not able to find the style trim ring you are looking for to fit your wheels, I do manufacture a reproduction of the original GM Trim Ring.

Best wishes for your search.

James Andrews
Wizard61
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060035.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	592585   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060036.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	592586   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060041.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	592587   Click image for larger version

Name:	MCACN 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	592588  

Old 06-11-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard61 View Post
rbrtmchl,

Just in case you are not able to find the style trim ring you are looking for to fit your wheels, I do manufacture a reproduction of the original GM Trim Ring.

Best wishes for your search.

James Andrews
Wizard61
James,

Thanks for posting. Your trim rings look great, and could be an alternate solution.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtmchl View Post
James,

Thanks for posting. Your trim rings look great, and could be an alternate solution.
those are the ones I was posting about earlier that James had tooled. They have maybe an 1/8" gap on an HM which is perfect to me as it still allows you to just see the bottom of the grey to silver line at the bottom of each cove. They measure just under 2.50" deep and 12.50" across at the smaller opening

Old 06-12-2022, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by android 211 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtmchl View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on the Oldsmobile SSIII wheel trim rings. I will do some searching...
The '73-77 Olds 15x7 trim ring is the same depth as the 2 other GM trim rings I prev mentioned, & has the same profile extending downward to the center area. For what you are trying to accomplish Robert, it will not work either (more on that later).

When one examines the "squared off" outer edge of original 15x7 Olds trim rings, the Olds version of this trim ring has a noticeable tapered outer edge & inboard step. That's the difference from the earlier two trim rings.

Typically, when Cutlass & 442 guys are trying to dress out these two versions of 15x7 Olds wheels, they buy the relatively cheap reproduction "69 Camaro" style 15x7 trim rings, a picture of which HFR posted on a '73 & up Pontiac Rally II, as perfect originals & NOS correct examples are too expensive.