Old 06-21-2022, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pulley Issues

Its been years since I've been on here and I'm glad to see this site is still active.

I have a 1971 LeMans Sport vert that has a 1968 400 modified engine. When we first put it together I used the 8 bolt water pump. It was dyoned at 440hp. I have now converted the water pump off the 71 350 so I could use the 11 bolt pattern. It is more popular then the 1 year only 8 bolt pattern.

I now have an issue with the everything lining up. Is there something I'm missing? I am using the crank pulley from the 68 400 but the brackets for the 71. Is that the issue or is there a better system out there that I can use to get everything lined up?

The car has been in hibernation for over a decade and being older I can't remember what bracket goes where. It sucks getting old LOL.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I really want this car on the road this summer and it is very close. This is the biggest hangup we have right now.

thanks for your input.
Matt

Old 06-21-2022, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pulleys change in 71
You need 71 up pulleys if your useing 71 power steering
I have the pulleys if neede d

Crank n water pump

Scott
2o6-465-91six5

Old 06-21-2022, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. I'm going to the shop that is doing the final assembly tomorrow and I'll let you know if I need them.

With a couple of house moves and other car parts, my dumb butt might have mixed things up for them.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What cyl heads are on your '68 400? '71 & later heads would make it a no brainer to run '71 & later style brackets & pulleys which are fairly common.

With '67-70 model heads trying to fit '71+ Alt bracket/PS will present a problem as no alt mtg bolt hole at top of the head. Many many years ago I first solved the late '60's heads & 71 Alt/ps mounting issue by flipping around a slightly shortened long alt bolt, then tightening on the front of the '71 alt bract with a nylon insert nut. Only problem is that configuation is fairly cumbersome to assemble in the car with radiator & fan shroud. Typically running '67-70 heads, a '69-70 PS/Alt setup with matching '70 wp pulley is what I put together.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
What cyl heads are on your '68 400? '71 & later heads would make it a no brainer to run '71 & later style brackets & pulleys which are fairly common.

With '67-70 model heads trying to fit '71+ Alt bracket/PS will present a problem as no alt mtg bolt hole at top of the head. Many many years ago I first solved the late '60's heads & 71 Alt/ps mounting issue by flipping around a slightly shortened long alt bolt, then tightening on the front of the '71 alt bract with a nylon insert nut. Only problem is that configuation is fairly cumbersome to assemble in the car with radiator & fan shroud. Typically running '67-70 heads, a '69-70 PS/Alt setup with matching '70 wp pulley is what I put together.
Edelbrock aluminum heads, I'm not sure of the part number is of them. Right now there is no front end on it so it will be easy to work on.

I like the quote in your sig. One of his best movies.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
Edelbrock aluminum heads, I'm not sure of the part number is of them. Right now there is no front end on it so it will be easy to work on.

I like the quote in your sig. One of his best movies.
You'll be fine with Edelbrock heads with 71 & later Alt/PS set-up.

Nice thing about '71 & later pulleys is the PS pulley stays the same diameter whether AC car or non AC car. About the only thing that makes it "fun" for '71 & up bracket setups are the 80 amp 27SI alt setups with idler pulley, fortunately began scouring parts for the 80 amp setups in the late 80's.

Thanks for thumbs up on my quote from Outlaw Josey Wales. Has long been my favorite movie. Close second is Tombstone.