Old 06-23-2022, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
If you use a proper thickness Holley spread bore gasket, there is rarely ever any need to
find/use reduced height nuts to go on the studs. The thin paper gaskets are basically worthless.
That slight increase in carb height rarely ever changes any hood clearance dimensions.
I guess I will have to do a Spreadbore Carb thread in the carb knowledge topic.

The carb coloring on the carb looks like a rebuild shop coloring or a poor Holley coloring.

Tom V.
Tom, do you own a '71 GTO with a ProComp intake, a 1970 Z28 Dual Snorkel air cleaner and a reproduction GlassTech hood?? Then you don't know what you're talking about in this specific case. I even had to go with the Z28 Air cleaner because the Pontiac one was too tall and didn't clear. The additional increase in carb height from the thicker gasket causes interference in this case but I'll check with first next time.

Secondly, sorry the carb coloring doesn't meet your standards. Next time I'll check with you first and make sure it's OK with you.
The carb was original coloring and only sonic cleaned. The remaining color was just fair and I airbrushed some carb tone on it. The flash really makes it look strongly colored. Perhaps you can provide some photography tips also, so that the color appears more close to natural and meets your approval.

I have no interest in your Holley tips but feel free to stroke your own ego if it makes you happy.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Boost Engineer

.................................................. .................................................. .....................
.................................................. .................................................. .....................

Basically that is what Post #21 said.

Have a good evening and I hope you get your Holley Carb issues resolved.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody fixid it, nice now.

Carbking Jon's 2-56 & Brass Hex stock make good sense to me for times-of-need!

Tom ; i seem to like the posted holley color variation. if my 1970 1050 had that i'd be okay with that.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
The problem is that a standard 1/2" wrench doesn't get in the spot very well. The gasket thickness is really irrelevant. The studs need to be the right length for the gasket used. The studs need to just pass through the nut when tightened down. The key is to start all of the nuts a couple of threads first. Then run them down evenly, with your fingers, until snug. Then tighten them down a LITTLE more with a wrench. I ground a wrench down and it fits in no problem. I think the worst one is the rear passenger side because of the accelerator pump arm. Not sure as it has probably been 15+ years since I had it on. Be careful not to overtighten the nuts. It's easy to put the rear throttle shaft in a bind. Then it will want to hang open very slightly and cause idle problems. I even wound the secondary spring a little tighter and re-bent the end of it. This is for double-pumper carbs obviously. Mine is an 800cfm marine model.
This was exactly the issue I spoke of. If you've ever mounted one of these in a 90 degree garage, you won't soon forget it.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Basically that is what Post #21 said.

Have a good evening and I hope you get your Holley Carb issues resolved.

Tom V.

I don't have a Holley Carb issue, I have a carburetor install challenge due to some engineer's oversight, probably a like-minded friend of yours.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
This was exactly the issue I spoke of. If you've ever mounted one of these in a 90 degree garage, you won't soon forget it.
I understand completely. My shop has been in the mid 90's lately. I have a couple of outstanding fans that make it tolerable.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I understand completely. My shop has been in the mid 90's lately. I have a couple of outstanding fans that make it tolerable.
Mid 90's! Chit Whatchya gonna do when it gets hot!

If one uses the correct length studs and correct nuts this is all a non-issue. However I understand the OP not having access to the above which would create a bit of a frustrating situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220623_104432.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	593218  

Old 06-24-2022, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I don't have a Holley Carb issue, I have a carburetor install challenge due to some engineer's oversight, probably a like-minded friend of yours.
The correct parts were designed to make this installation a breeze. You didn't have them. It's something that comes along with buying used/second hand parts or reading the directions after the fact (usually what I do) ..... I get your frustration though.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Mid 90's! Chit Whatchya gonna do when it gets hot!

If one uses the correct length studs and correct nuts this is all a non-issue. However I understand the OP not having access to the above which would create a bit of a frustrating situation.
I work in the heat a lot. Not a problem. Cold bothers me more.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I work in the heat a lot. Not a problem. Cold bothers me more.
I'm the same way.... Can't tolerate much below 60 degrees anymore.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Me too when I ran a similar combo.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
The correct parts were designed to make this installation a breeze. You didn't have them. It's something that comes along with buying used/second hand parts or reading the directions after the fact (usually what I do) ..... I get your frustration though.
Just an FYI. I also tried the short "jam nuts" Easier to initially thread on but impossible to get a wrench on to tighten. Not enough shoulder on the nut to grab at an angle like you have to with accelerator pump arms and plungers in the way.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:42 AM
Boost Engineer

Perfect. Have a great day.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a followup ... it was more than worth the effort rebuilding and installed this spreadbore Holley. Startup is less than a rotation of the starter, cold manners are great even with no choke. I had the idle so slow and couldn't believe it was still running and it just continued to run despite the wild looping idle quality at that RPM. I adjusted to a nice 650 RPM (choppy of course) idle in gear and it is happy as can be. Gone is the slight off idle hesitation I was unable to tune out of the Quickfuel Slayer. It just accelerates smoothly from off idle through part throttle and drives like a "normal" car, no jumpiness or steady light throttle surging. Drop the hammer and it accelerates instantaneously. I've always shied away from double pumpers but this spreadbore really worked out well.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Neighbors: Great to hear the carb worked out well! BTW, what primary and secondary jets did you go with for your engine combination?

Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Post #34, Happy that you got your Spreadbore carb running to your satisfaction.
Goodnight.

Tom V.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If i remember your old signature ��you have a 455 with a crane 284281 cam ? 6X heads 3.55 gear ?

I have that cam new on the shelf i might put in a 440 and 1971 #96 heads

glad to hear your carb swap was positive

Old 07-06-2022, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
If i remember your old signature ��you have a 455 with a crane 284281 cam ? 6X heads 3.55 gear ?

I have that cam new on the shelf i might put in a 440 and 1971 #96 heads

glad to hear your carb swap was positive
Thanks and yes to all 3. I like that cam. I've built this motor twice and used the same grind both times, the latest being the updated version. I could have reused the original old grind that had a touch higher lift, but I was stuck on using new internals on round 2.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:38 AM
Senior Chief

I'm curious whether you notice a difference in mileage with your new carb vs. the old?

It does sound like a nice upgrade though!

Old 07-08-2022, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had 4 of the 800 spreadbores over the years currently have one on my sons car works very well car is well into the 10’s with it. First one I bought new in the 80’s and put it on my r/a IV. Sold one to a buddy and it’s on a 74 GTO for the last 15 or so years. The interesting thing is the secondary side is actually smaller than a Q jet.