Wow!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 04-27-2022, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto!

BJ

Old 04-28-2022, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Been chipping away on little projects that remain.

One challenge has been to figure out where to mount things that are not original to the car. External oil filter, clutch master cylinder, ignition box, EFI ECU, coil, Vaporworx controller, etc., as well as all the associated wiring and lines, all take up a lot of real estate. Can't hide everything, and need to consider relatively easy access for maintenance/repair, so the engine bay/firewall won't look nearly as nice and clean as I had hoped.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3971.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	589620  

Old 04-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It takes a lot of effort, planning, & time to hide it all, not what I would call an 'easy' task.

Keep in mind too that you need to be concerned with RFI/EMI too, you can pick up noise and it will drive you crazy after the fact. If you need pointers, more than what's in the docs, use the EFI forum for FAST.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-10-2022, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Making progress with wiring, but took a short break over the weekend. My son finished with the mini tubs on his Y84 so we got started on the body. We stripped the car with some friends on Saturday. It's absolutely rust free and no collision damage, so should be in paint very soon. Overall plan is similar in spirit to my '70, but on a tighter budget. Will be LQ4 powered, TKX, Ridetech coilover suspension, Gear FX 9" & Wildwood Superlite.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4065.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	590538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4078.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	590539  

Old 05-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow...the body looks pristine.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-13-2022, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I got the car home I thought I was 95% done...well, after 10 weeks still chipping away at that last 5%. So many little details to address.

Just a few more wires to connect and tidy-up, things like plug wires & battery, and the engine bay will be complete. It's didn't turn out as tidy as I had hoped, but looks functional. Actually, looks like a very clean day 2 car rather than a show car, which is what I was going for.

I'm going to order a driveshaft today and install the fuel tank and II Much vent. Will try to get the fuel lines installed later this week so once the dash goes in, we'll be able to start her up for the first time.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4265D.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	592728  

Last edited by Gator67; 06-13-2022 at 01:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gator67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that thing is beautiful!

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 06-13-2022, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good!!

Old 06-13-2022, 03:52 PM

Really looks great! Should be a great driver too with the modern suspension goodies!

Old 06-19-2022, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent a good part of yesterday messing with driveline angles so I could tighten and torque everything. The the adjustable upper links and Tremec app made things pretty easy. I think I have things dialed in. I'm just under 4" ride hight to the low point (headers).

Installed the fuel tank and will run lines this week. I'm starting to run out of parts to install!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4333.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	593032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4297D (1).jpg
Views:	420
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	593033  

Old 06-29-2022, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Installed dash and happy to report that wiring is 99% done. All that remains is the starter, battery cables, some grounds, gauge bezel and misc under dash wires. I suspect there will be a few things to address/move around, so I'll wait to tidy everything up until after she's fully operational.

Making progress on the fuel system. Once I decide where I'm going to mount the ECM fuel pressure sensor, I'll start on the main fuel line. Tank plumbing and wiring is done. There's a second fuel pressure sensor for the VaporWorx controller that I mounted on the tank's plumbing.

Installed II Much fuel vent system. Pretty complicated for a simple vent, takes up some real estate in the trunk, and all those fittings got expensive, but is supposed to eliminate fuel smell.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4395D.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	593420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4389D.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	593421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396D.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	593422  

Old 06-29-2022, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good!

Did you load the dash with the harness before you installed the dash?

On the transducer, don't mount it close to the coil, dizzy cap, or other 'dirty' sources, you will get RFI.

I mounted my coil too close to the dual-sync dizzy, and it got RFI problems from being too close.

EDIT: No sensors or sensor wires should be close to dirty sources.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Looks good!

Did you load the dash with the harness before you installed the dash?

On the transducer, don't mount it close to the coil, dizzy cap, or other 'dirty' sources, you will get RFI.

I mounted my coil too close to the dual-sync dizzy, and it got RFI problems from being too close.

EDIT: No sensors or sensor wires should be close to dirty sources.

Loaded the dash with the dash harness wiring before we installed it. Used the factory clips to keep the wires in the channels. Can't imagine doing it with the dash in the car.

In fact, laying it out in the dash led me to discover that the 70-73 dash harness from the AAW classic update kit won't work--wires are too short by several inches. A friend here in town who has wired several second gen birds with AAW kits confirmed this to be true. AAW is aware of the problem...they switched out my dash harness with the 74-78 and sent hand written instructions about how to make it work...had to re-pin a couple circuits but nothing major.

As a starting point, we mounted the coil, ECU, and ignition box on the firewall in locations where other folks here in town with similar set-ups have had good luck. Wiring is still loose/nothing coiled up or bundled, so it will be easy to move things around if I need to, though not much real estate to work with. The coil is located about a foot away from the dizzy...I made the coil wire a little long in case I need to move it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3967.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	593433  

Old 06-29-2022, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, can't imagine doing one while dash is in the car, have heard others do it, but complained what a PITA it was. Was curious so asked.

Hm, a few inches too short? For the gauge cluster? I will be doing mine here shortly and curious, but will be using aftermarket gauges, will mod the harness.

Good move on the ECU & all, sounds like you have it covered.

Dash clips, yes! I had to source extras, the core used for my dash had a couple spots which chipped due to someone hastily yanking the clips. Will have to move to other locations, but not too bad.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Hm, a few inches too short? For the gauge cluster? I will be doing mine here shortly and curious, but will be using aftermarket gauges, will mod the harness.
It was all too short. Difficult to describe, but there's no way the wires would reach to where they needed to be, including the main junction box, which one might not even notice until the dash is in the car. I suspect I could have made it work by stretching wires across the shortest distance rather than laying them where they're supposed to be (and re-making other wires which couldn't be stretched far enough) but that would have resulted in a huge mess. I would have gone this route had my friend not told me that this has been an ongoing problem with the 70-73 harnesses. The 74-78 harness is definitely longer and fit perfectly in the channels. AAW is aware but why they haven't addressed it is a mystery to me.

I'm using Digital Dakota RTX gauges and bim module to the Fast ECU so this cut down on the connections to gauges and number of sensors. It's really slick...just hope it all works!

As somewhat of an aside, when I went to install the Vintage Air ducts onto the dash I noticed that the one in the center was made without nubs that holds the 2.5" hose in place...the nubs weren't broken off, the part was just molded wrong. Also, the 2.5" hose is a bit larger than it needs to be so I ended up having to use zip ties to secure them to the vent pieces. In the past, the opposite was true (it was difficult to get the hose over the vent pieces).

Old 06-29-2022, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hm, I haven't finished moving, so everything is in boxes, can't pull out the harness (or dash) to check lengths. But I did hold it up to the OE harness for comparison, didn't see anything glaring.

I worked off the bend about 1.5 foot from the fuse box, where it routes thru the retainer then the dash, and that all looked good. But I will check it all again. Thanks for the heads up.

That's right, I remember now, Dakota Digital, nice.

On the VA stuff, I did some zip ties too on the other cars, the nubs were there, but knew it would be a pain to try to attach it if they were to come off, so made sure. I did end up buying extra adapters, I did some different routing, etc.

I found this helpful, a guide to plastic repair, and have referenced it multiple times:

https://conservativebrief.com/pelosi...utm_medium=DJD

Figure I'd post it for anyone interested.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Such a cool build!

I want to replace my original harness as it has been cut on quite a bit. Good to know that the kit you tried to use won’t work. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t just fix the issue? Thanks for sharing the info

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 06-30-2022, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Such a cool build!

I want to replace my original harness as it has been cut on quite a bit. Good to know that the kit you tried to use won’t work. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t just fix the issue? Thanks for sharing the info
If you just want to replace an original harness I'd go with a restoration/OEM deal. They're more plug and play and look more original. I used M&H on my 70 TA (and 67 GTO), and was really happy. AAW makes them as well, but not sure if you'd run into he same problem I had with the classic update.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fuel lines were more work than I expected, and they did not turn out as neat and professional as I would have liked, but at least they're finished. I used 1/2" nicopp lines and -8 Earls Speed Flex Hose and fittings from the tank to the throttle body. -6 for the vent system.

Next project is the break lines. Though, before I tackle that, I'm going to give the old girl some fluids. This way, once I QC my work, I'll be able to start her up.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4439D.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	593997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4426D.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	593998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4428D.jpg
Views:	374