Old 06-29-2022, 12:06 PM

Default Gas Pedal Clearance

Any of you guys have problems with the gas pedal bottoming on the carpet with car at idle? Just installed new carpet and floor mat and my pedal bottom edge is already touching the carpet. With no carpet, I had full travel, but now feels restricted. Thought about putting a spacer on the throttle cable to bring the pedal up. Wanted to see if you guys had same issue.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

I think 70 has a different style so I will assume you are talking about 71-73. Yes, I found the my gas pedal was low on mine and I simply unscrewed the two bolts holding it to the firewall, unclipped the throttle cable and then gave the metal rod more of a bend. I remember it did not take much of an angle change to make a large change, so go slow. A vise and big adjustable wrench was all I needed to tweak it. I figured it was a little out of shape from the decades of slamming the go pedal to the floor.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the idea. Car is a 70, but doesn't mean I could have a pedal out of a different year. Which could explain the issue.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Easy to make minor adjustment by adding an extra throttle cable bush or spacer at the pedal hole, just depends what version you have, and all mods can be undone or adjusted further easily.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:10 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking of trying first. Thanks.