Old 07-03-2022, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Trans Dipstick tube leaking

Th400 76 ta O have the o ring design and it seeps fluid.Is their a better set up that uses the long bushing type seal for the f body.Not intersted in the lokar **** with a tiny fill hole.Stock syle only please.thanks joe

Old 07-03-2022, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes455 View Post
Th400 76 ta O have the o ring design and it seeps fluid.Is their a better set up that uses the long bushing type seal for the f body.Not intersted in the lokar **** with a tiny fill hole.Stock syle only please.thanks joe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27395355790...8AAOSw66JcS2mR

Old 07-03-2022, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This gets brazed on ?to maintain stock tube length to allow bolting to upper bell housing?

Old 07-03-2022, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
This gets brazed on ?to maintain stock tube length to allow bolting to upper bell housing?
Yes. You cut off the bottom end of the tube to the length you need when you have the adapter on. You can braze it if it fits fairly tight. The one I used was a pretty loose so I epoxied it on with JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy to fill in the gap. Maybe it was that Marine Tex or whatever it’s called. In any case, it’s been working for a couple of years. I dry fitted it to get the length right so, the bracket lined up with the bell housing bolt before I epoxied it.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If you choose to re-install an OE style o-ring coat it in Dow Corning o-ring lube( can’t recall the number of it). The compound causes the o-ring to swell slightly. Been using it on oil filter and o-rings for decades; never had a leak after using it.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-04-2022, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m thinking just a new O ring and some sealer that setup has worked for 50+ years. I just had a car in the shop guy said dip stick is leaking please fix it. Found that on his turbo 350 the stick was one of the only things not leaking.

The Following User Says Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Clean it up good and put two O-rings, doubled up, back on it.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the stock dipstick with a Hughes locking dipstick with the newer style seal on my '68. Works well.

I think this is the part I have? Reviews seem dicey for a BOP trans, but the one I have fits perfect.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-hp2235/

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 07-04-2022, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
If you choose to re-install an OE style o-ring coat it in Dow Corning o-ring lube( can’t recall the number of it). The compound causes the o-ring to swell slightly. Been using it on oil filter and o-rings for decades; never had a leak after using it.
Got out to my tool box today. You need Dow Corning DC-4 Electrical Compound. One tube will last you forever.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-04-2022, 11:24 PM

I love my Lokar. It’s double sealed and nutted from the bottom. Never leaks. Locking stick never pops out, throwing fluid, on hard runs. I don’t have to bend over to fill it. It’s bolted right to the passenger inner fender well. I stand straight up to fill, like a dignified old man. It has a tube quick disconnect at the pan and hole plug, for trans service. I don’t break my back being all stooped over just to check the fluid. I don’t hit my head. Im not leaning on or scratching my car just to check the fluid. . And, I fill my TH350 through the “tiny hole” using the exact same funnel I have always used and, at about the same speed. It may take an extra 10-15 seconds on total fill time. But, that’s OK. I’m standing up. No valve body clogging sealers required. No leaks. No problems. Wish I had one 40 years ago. And I know my folks would agree. I destroyed their drive with trans and power steering leaks. We don’t do that anymore. No leaks allowed.

PS At least some dipstick tube leaks are actually the modulator O-ring leaking and running forward making it look like the dipstick is leaking. Found that out right after I installed the Lokar to stop my “dipstick leak”. It was never the dipstick. Derp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-05-2022, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before giving up on your tube check the area where the o-ring goes. I've seen them crack in that area.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got this at a swap for the trans tube, now I’m thinking it’s not going to work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	593805  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 07-06-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Before giving up on your tube check the area where the o-ring goes. I've seen them crack in that area.
X2, I've welded them back up where they've cracked before, if a suitable replacement can't be easily obtained.

I've used oxy acetylene torch to weld them due to the thin material. Or they could be TIG welded.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated