Old 07-05-2022, 10:40 AM

Default Removing race car Decals

I'm considering a car for sale, the current owner is converting it from drag car back to street car. It was raced in the '80s and has been in long time storage, I think it was painted then and the name/decals added at the same time. My question is how to remove the lettering and will the outline still show? Think it can be buffed out or will new paint be needed? I haven't looked at it in person yet, just trying to get info to help figure out possible costs to finish making it a street car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65gto.1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	593755  

Old 07-05-2022, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

It's likely going to depend on how the paint was cared for and if it was left in the sun for periods of time prior to now. If the paint has faded a decent bit since the decals were applied, the paint under the decal will certainly show better.

If the paint is in good condition though, you can likely do a cut and buff that will remove a large percentage of the decal outlines, maybe even completely. If you're viewing the car in-person before the purchase, if possible I'd get the recommendation of a paint correction professional.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are they vinyl? If so they can be removed, but depending on how old and sun baked they are, they might put up a fight.

I removed a ton of lettering off one of my old trucks, and I found it worked best using a heat gun carefully, and slowly peeling letter by letter. WD40 can help soften them up. You can also use a 3M eraser wheel, which does work very good but sometimes struggle with larger sections of vinyl.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have removed tons of pin stripes/decals using a decal eraser wheel. Zip’s them right off with no damage to the paint. Once removed hit with some light compound and buff blend the background area. You will be surprised how well they work.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if its painted use oven cleaner, i've done it many times, if its vinyl use a heat gun im sure there will be a ghost on it

Old 07-06-2022, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a last resort get a bottle of what's called Solvo- set.
It's used when applying decals to models to soften them and make them conform to raised detains .

Old 07-07-2022, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hand-wave for the 3M eraser wheel, but they are not cheap. I think the last one I got was $55.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be