Old 03-18-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ATC and factory gauges on 67 full size....

I was looking at my 1967 Pontiac accessories catalog recently and it states that gauges were not available with ATC. I never knew this and does anyone know why they couldn't be ordered together?

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:57 PM

Default ATC + gauges

Great question. Mine had ATC from the factory and I added gauges (all working now). I still don't have the A/C totally hooked up yes to test. I'd be interested to know if mods are needed.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 67 GP that I parted out had ATC plus gauges with Speedminder. The car was born with ATC

Old 03-21-2022, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There has to be something that interferes with one or the other I guess? Seems strange though incommunicado. Maybe some more folks will chime in.

Steve, your car had ATC from the factory and gauges with speedminder? According to the option book that was not available very interesting.

My car has the speedminder/low fuel light combination with ATC as per the option guide but no gauges.

I dont like idiot lights and like gauges. I have a set I picked up a while back. The perfect combo would be gauges, speedminder and the low fuel ight.

Steve, didnt you tell me some years ago your friend (maybe a pilot?) who had the real nice 67 Bonneville four speed car that was found in a chicken coop had a combination like I described above done as good as factory by someone?

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele View Post
There has to be something that interferes with one or the other I guess? Seems strange though incommunicado. Maybe some more folks will chime in.

Steve, your car had ATC from the factory and gauges with speedminder? According to the option book that was not available very interesting.

My car has the speedminder/low fuel light combination with ATC as per the option guide but no gauges.

I dont like idiot lights and like gauges. I have a set I picked up a while back. The perfect combo would be gauges, speedminder and the low fuel ight.

Steve, didnt you tell me some years ago your friend (maybe a pilot?) who had the real nice 67 Bonneville four speed car that was found in a chicken coop had a combination like I described above done as good as factory by someone?
I think that the gauges/speedminder in my parts car was added as were MANY other things.
My friend Ed was an avionics genius and he made a lot of things look factory

Old 03-30-2022, 09:40 AM

Default 67 gauges

I believe the dash harness for 67 w/ gauges was a one year only? I ended up buying a spare gauge cluster a few years ago, and although the gauges looked the same, the harness had a printed circuit board/ strip with it. I believe it must have come from a 68 model instead?

I would not attempt to swap for gauges without the correct harness and even then, its a wiring challenge.

I found a guy in WV to rebuild, calibrate and repaint my gauge set, he wasn't cheap. He claimed to have never done that set before and had to make stencils to repaint the gauges. My set has the low fuel light but no speedminder.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:41 PM

Great question guys and one that i investigated thoroughly due to my craziness of wanting to install a gauge cluster and ATC into one of my 1967's. The reason both options could not be ordered together is due to the temperature unit located on the manifold. Regular clusters with temp light use a temp switch and so does the ATC unit. The single Temp switch can operate both temp light and ATC. The gauge cluster with a temp gauge requires a temperature sending unit. I looked high and low for a unit that could do both, switch and send but nothing could be found. If you want to go this route, your best option is to drill and thread a second hole into right front of the manifold, or you could use elbows teeing out of the original tem unit location to accommodate both a switch and sender. Your best and cleanest option is to drill the second hole....and best to take off the manifold when doing so. Later years... 69 ?? or later then came with dual holes already available in the manifold. Btw my added cluster now works perfectly and so does the ATC.

1967 Executive Wagon (Plum Mist), Org. paint, Org 35K miles
1981 Bonneville Brougham Coupe (Black) Moonroof, Org. 11K miles
Old 06-23-2022, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of these illogical restrictions back then. For example in 69 you couldn't get both power flow ventilation and reverb rear speaker. The only possible reason I can see is that they both used the right accessory switch position (there are three positions). Of course you could just put one or the other in either of the other two positions but I guess this would have made for complex install instructions on the assembly line in case such a car also had other accessory switches. In 69 it was power antenna in left position, power top or power tailgate window in center or rear defog in center position (no conflicts here since one was convertible only, one was coupe and sedan only and one was wagon only) and power flow or reverb in right position.

The GP only used two positions since a power antenna wasn't offered and the Firebird used a vertical stack instead or horizontal.

Some Examples that cover 5 of the possible six switches in 69 (the GP used a lighted rear defroster switch rather than the regular rear defogger),
a LeMans 4 door with antenna, defog and reverb
a Catalina ragtop with antenna and top
a Firebird ragtop with antenna and power flow
a Bonnie wagon with antenna and tailgate window
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-05 009.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	593191   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-31 003.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	593192   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-27 005.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	593193   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-22 050.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	593194  

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 07-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is very interesting information compsur regarding the manifold being pre drilled already for the sender and, how you have both working gauges and ATC. I may have to find one of those later manifolds to have just in case I decide to go that route. The later manifold would be a good subject for a new post.

Any pics of your sender set up?

Old 07-16-2023, 10:31 AM

Hey Mark, sorry for not getting to you back sooner. In 67 they originally published 2 temp switches and 1 sensor as far back as the 69 parts book. 1st, no Rally/no ATC , 2nd ATC/no Rally and 3rd no ATC/Rally gauges. Eventually or by 71, the 2 switches (1 and 2) were superseded into a single part number. Studying the wire diagrams which included motor harness for ATC or non ATC, the ATC harness itself and the Interior Rally/non Rally harnesses, the key wire differentiator for both the idiot light and temp gauge is the dark green wire. The dark green wire can be found leading from the temp gauge to the temp switch. For ATC cars the motor harness has to be changed to an ATC harness which has a light green/black stripped and dark green wired connected to the temp switch. The light green/black striped wire is specifically for ATC, won't be found on non ATC cars. I pulled the manifold and had a second hole drilled for the temp sensor on right front water crossover on the manifold, in 67 you can see a flat riser...seems they may have anticipated another switch or sensor in this area. I took the dark green wire out of the 2 wire connecter that connects to the current switch and connected it to the newly installed sensor. I just tested it and it my rally gauge is working perfectly. As I mentioned i studied the many wire diagrams and couldn't find any correlation with the dark green wire and ATC system. I could be wrong but both my ATC system and now my temp rally gauge are working perfectly. Let me know what you come up with. here are some pics.

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	616144

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	616145

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	616146

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	616147

Last edited by compsur; 07-16-2023 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammer errors
Old 07-16-2023, 10:40 AM

As this was the final test and now that both the ATC and Temp Gauge are working, i will be updating the current brown wire you see in the pics and change that to the right dark green wire to match the engine bay and no one will know the difference....the purist in me!! LOL.