Old 06-13-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rick's Radio Conversions

I'm thinking about sending my '64 AM radio to Rick's. Anyone have experience with them?

https://www.ricksradioconversions.com/home.html

Old 06-13-2022, 11:26 AM

I had my 63 Catalina AM radio converted by www.garytayman.com to Am/FM Bluetooth and added preamp outputs. He uses the same Aurora FMR units that Rick seems to use. I am very pleased at the results of my conversion, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Gary Tayman. It takes a little getting used to flicking the tone dial to adjust balance and fade, but once set they really aren't adjusted. The sound quality is quite good with my dash speaker and a pair of 6x9's in the rear shelf. My unit was about 10 days from shipped to received back, and came back polished up very nicely as well.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my 64 AM converted. I only have one complaint with it. The volume knob has a lot of static. Radio shack used to sell a cleaner lubricant. I'm sure it would cear it right up but Its been sold out for a few years.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:43 AM

My AM worked prior to sending it to conversion albeit with a bad static spot in the volume right at normal listening levels. It came back functioning perfectly, so whether parts were replaced or contacts repaired and cleaned I can't say but the results speak for themselves.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's really neat, I got nearly half way through the video (linked on Ricks site), and am thinking that it's actually fairly complicated.

The bluetooth is nice, as is the aux in, but the usb seems rather pointless unless you want to listen to the same play list over, and over again;
In my opinion, you need a screen, and a way to change tracks to really optimize a usb player.

if you do this conversion, aren't you also not able to go back to the original radio, since it appears as though the original radio more or less gets gutted?
Maybe I am misunderstanding the conversion??

INcase a decision has not been made, here is another simpler option made by a member of this community;
Redirad

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-13-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really just want good sounding FM. I had an old Supertuner in there. It's sounds like crap. I want the factory radio back in there. Thanks for all of the input so far.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you go the simple route and do something like a redi-rad, then you can connect any FM device to it - and it's one hundred percent reversible.
The only remaining variable will be the condition of the radio as-is;
if it doesn't currently play with clean sound, it may need some servicing.

One of the first things I bought myself when getting on eBay (back in '99) was a correct AM/FM radio... I then brought it to a gent in my state who serviced old radio;
He popped it open, and had it fine tuned in a matter of minutes.

so I understand wanting a stock radio, that is useable.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-13-2022, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
if you go the simple route and do something like a redi-rad, then you can connect any FM device to it - and it's one hundred percent reversible.
The only remaining variable will be the condition of the radio as-is;
if it doesn't currently play with clean sound, it may need some servicing.

One of the first things I bought myself when getting on eBay (back in '99) was a correct AM/FM radio... I then brought it to a gent in my state who serviced old radio;
He popped it open, and had it fine tuned in a matter of minutes.

so I understand wanting a stock radio, that is useable.
This radio doesn't work. I have two 6x9's in back and two about 3" (not sure) in the dash to power. I'm going to retrofit the stock radio. Just a matter of who and how much.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember the old FM converters. Funny.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
This radio doesn't work. I have two 6x9's in back and two about 3" (not sure) in the dash to power. I'm going to retrofit the stock radio. Just a matter of who and how much.
ok, gotcha - sorry for the side track.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
ok, gotcha - sorry for the side track.
No problem at all. I appreciate you presenting another option. I had seen those before and had forgotten (Like a lot of things these days).

Old 06-13-2022, 11:02 PM

Default Radio conversion

I had the Aurora conversion done to the factory AM radio in my 67 Suburban daily driver. It was done by Gary Tayman and has worked great for over 34k miles. I use the USB player almost exclusively ( I have over 800 tracks on a USB) I never hear a commercial or a DJ or a song I don't like.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:11 PM

There was a recent discussion where Muscle Car Radio in Minnesota was recommended, it appears they do the same type of conversion. See post #18 in this thread: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com....php?p=6343610

Old 06-13-2022, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get how great the USB is, I use the USB in my Cobalt probably just as much as I do my XM;
but I also have it organized by band/album/track, and can scroll to find anything I want on a whim, plus that radio has a display that shows me what I need to know.

What I was trying to say was that without the ability to seek a specific track or even an album, convenience aspect of playing off a USB would be more or less negated by just using bluetooth or an aux input, and playing music off your phone or device.

The video for the 'Ricks radio conversions' made it appear that the USB controls were to simply play it and move a track ahead or back, with no visual display/feedback.

Last edited by unruhjonny; 06-13-2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
There was a recent discussion where Muscle Car Radio in Minnesota was recommended, it appears they do the same type of conversion. See post #18 in this thread: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com....php?p=6343610
That looks good. A little cheaper also. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2022, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What are you using for a head unit in yer bird unjohnny...I'm in the market but I usually pair me phone with BT audio.

If I could get android audio in the t/a that would be better.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my firebird is currently dismantled.

I was using the OE AM/FM radio with a trunk mounted 10 disc changer;
It was a Sony CDX-555RF.

It played through the radio on an FM signal, and the controller was wired, and sitting in my tray under the radio.
It's pretty "old school" these days, but I loved it - when I bought it, it was pretty cutting edge.

I am intending to run a radirad in my car when it gets back together - there is much less wiring, and allows me to play music on my iphone - I have over 18gb of music on my phone.
To me, a wired connection to my phone is a non-issue.
Granted newer phones seem to be eliminating audio jacks in favour of bluetooth, but I don't plan on buying a new phone any time soon - I don't care how obsolete Apple tries to make my phone (6S) - it is nearly perfect as far as I am concerned;
It functions as a phone, I can send and receive texts, it has a great camera, and it is a great music player.

Last edited by unruhjonny; 06-14-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh that's pretty cool. Mine doesn't have the original radio - wish it did - so at least it leaves my options completely open...lol

I can't even hear my phone if it rings not that I would answer it anyways haha.

What are you going to do if they change the connector on the next ipone?

Old 06-14-2022, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if I end up at some point with a phone/media player that has no audio jack, then I suppose the redirad would still be useable with a bluetooth adapter;
The key is a device which can play through the radio on a frequency.

I am incline to not mess with a functioning period radio, and the less invasive the setup, the easier to change it;
Also, some people don't realize how serviceable old radios really are - even if you have a non-functioning unit, it may be easily repairable.

Technology is in a constant state of flux - right when you think you're cutting edge, you realize something new came out, and you're behind the ball again.
Look at how many people cut their dash boards to accommodate CD players in the 1990's!

Old 06-14-2022, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

true that...the previous owner certainly did

I may try to track down a stock radio again someday and the new head unit can fit where the eight track is supposed to be anyways.

Its nice there are so many options these days.