WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone own the G8 GT?

Hello friends, still looking for that decent priced low mile 05 -06 GTO. I also looked at the G8 GXP, but they are rare and expensive. So, I started looking up the information on the G8 GT. Hey, the car has 361 HP, so I was trying to see if anyone on here owns one, and how they like it? Most of what I'm trying to find out, is how it handles and deals with the turns? I have heard, that the G8 GXP, was so nice that some consider it to be the best car in it's class for the twisty roads. I also red some of the Magazine pieces on the GXP, but only a mention here and there of the GT.

Thanks, I'd like to own one of the late Pontiac Performance cars, before they are all gone.
I was also thinking about seeing if an car from AU in the GXP could pass my states lax emission tests. Besides, we are I believe the only state (Oregon) left without any sales tax. And, it always gets voted down by a huge percentage.

Good day. Mike
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 PM

Default G8GT

I own a GT,from what I read there is not a big diff,between the GT,and GXP.mostly all bolt on stuff will make the GT faster than the GXP.handle as good or better .both great cars .
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you, I have not heard very much on the car. However, since most the GXPs are spoken for I saw some of the GT's were left, or also some low miles used ones for sell. So, I wanted to hear from someone who owns one and get their opinions on the car. Thanks again.

Mike
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My boss has one.... driven it many times. Awesome car..... Handles better then GTO, roomy.....
400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its really the best car in class IMHO. Best pontiac ever is pretty much a fact. I haven't driven a GXP but I'd be shocked if I could tell the difference in handling between the GT.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had an 2009.5 G8 GT which I just sold (I'm downsizing some things). Anyways, honestly the BEST car I have ever owned. It was quality top to bottom, front to rear. As for handling, I'd recommend finding a GT with the sport package cause the tires (lower profile) have a little more grip in the turns. It was fun blowing buy those 50K plus BMW's now and then
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Default G8GT

yes,mine has the sport package,and it handles awesome for a big car tight and quiet.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello friends. Well, I have been looking around for a GT with sport package in a color I can live with. I can't deal with black car again. So, the ones I have seen seem to have high miles, and priced above book by a fair margin. I know supply and demand. But I also know a fast dime, is better then a slow quarter. So, I am looking real hard, and have talked with some of the more decent local dealers of new cars in case a trade comes in. Thanks so very much. I'll let you know when I find my car. And, I will fine it.. My best to you, and yours..
Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Same thing here, need another daily driver, looked at GTO's for obvious reasons, but with the little ones, looks like we are moving towards G8 GT.

What's the sport package on G8?, searching through autotrader, etc, didn't see that mentioned.

Anybody rebadged a G8 with GTO emblems? Post a pic if you did, I was thinking of that if a G8 ends up in my driveway.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO emblems on a G8? Uh...no...

The Sport Package gets you:

Sport metallic pedals, 19" machine-faced aluminum wheels, P245/40R19-94W summer-only performance blackwall tires and leather-wrapped Sport steering wheel.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Chief

Humbler, you are laughing with your driveway lineup. 70 Goat, New Goat, and G8 4 door.

I have 70 Judge, will probally have G8.......maybe the Avalanche will have to go, I love the red seats in the black 2006 Goats.

Thanks for the tip on Summer only tires.......Welcome to Canada, home of Blizzaks
Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I own both a 2008 G8 GT and a 2009.5 G8 GXP. Both are very impressive. The GT has the sport and the premium package. Both have sunroof and the GXP is an A6 - couldn't find an M6 in the Stryker Blue. There is a HUGE difference between the GT and the GXP. The GXP has a much higher flowing exhaust system with a much nicer exhaust note. The difference between 415 HP and the 361 HP is felt in the seat dyno. Both cars are close on torque - 415 for the GXP and 395 for the GT, but you just notice it so much more in the GXP.(See my thread above about the speeding ticket for proof!) My wife now drives the GT and she loves it. I still take it out and play every now and then, but she pretty much just babies it.

You will not be disappointed in the GT at all - if you can get one, get it. But if you can swing the GXP and can find one - go that route instead. There are three for sale on ebay right now.

BJ

Last edited by OVERULD; 10-28-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppergreen View Post
Humbler, you are laughing with your driveway lineup. 70 Goat, New Goat, and G8 4 door.

I have 70 Judge, will probally have G8.......maybe the Avalanche will have to go, I love the red seats in the black 2006 Goats.

Thanks for the tip on Summer only tires.......Welcome to Canada, home of Blizzaks
Hey Peppergreen,

Did you ever buy a G8? I live in Calgary and purchased a G8 in June/'09 but it's a fully loaded V6 car. Love it so far - it's in the garage for the winter. Hope to see you at one of the local car shows this year as I own a '69 GTO RAIII - Expresso Brown that I'm just finishing off the restoration on.

Take care
Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Inorczen,

Nope, went to Reno in Dec and got an 05 GTO M6 with 7300 miles. Love it. Cyclone Grey.

Look forward to seeing the Expresso Brown, way back a guy had a Expresso Judge with factory bench and column, I think it was sold into the States long ago. I am trying to coax my screwdriver to turn clockwise so I can get my Judge reassembled, but life is getting in the way. Should be ready for summer fun though.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppergreen View Post
Inorczen,

Nope, went to Reno in Dec and got an 05 GTO M6 with 7300 miles. Love it. Cyclone Grey.

Look forward to seeing the Expresso Brown, way back a guy had a Expresso Judge with factory bench and column, I think it was sold into the States long ago. I am trying to coax my screwdriver to turn clockwise so I can get my Judge reassembled, but life is getting in the way. Should be ready for summer fun though.
Nice car Peppergreen - the '05 GTO. Only a few around in this province. Did you have to do the usual mods (daytime running lights, etc.) to make it registerable? I'm pretty sure I know of the Expresso Judge you mention. A buddy of mine from our local GTO Club owned it but it was a 4 speed floor shift with bucket seats. It was an original Expresso Judge with Gold interior. It did sell down to the States in the mid 1990's if I recall correctly.

Hope to see you out this summer in one of your cars!!

Take care
Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, the GTO is easy to import, has running lights, and speedo is like G8, one set of numbers, click on mph/kmh and needle changes. Even comes with kid seat anchors and tethers, inspection was a breeze.

That Expresso Judge was owned by a Roger S(?) in 1992, I think a Mike M bought it eventually and sent it South.. Same car?

I tried to buy that thing for 7K in 92, he didn't sell it for much more than that!!

Send me some pics of the RA3 on the PM's would love to see it, we can let the G8 thread resume!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Wow - importing a 2005 and newer GTO sounds pretty easy. I'm sure we'll start seeing more of them. Yes, it was Mike M. who owned the Expresso Judge and sold it into the States - you have a good memory. I will send you some photo's of my RAIII shortly once I have a good day to pull it out of the garage and take better photo's.

Let the original thread resume!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 PM

I have a 08 GT.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT, IHRA Top ET, NHRA SuperPro
9.66 @ 143