WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Engine Tech

04-06 Engine Tech LS engine tech center. Get the most out of your car here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Default '05 GTO - added K&N filter without spending big bucks!

Thought some of you with the '04-'06 GTOs would like to know how you can do the swap for little or no money, other than the purchase of the K&N filter and some labor.
Purchased the filter from Advance Auto Parts for almost $10.00 less than the online suppliers. This is the RF-1048 filter used with the expensive retro-fit systems (Almost $400.00 to over $500.00, depending on choice). While my installation is not hi-tech and I have no Dyno figures to back up why you should do this swap, I believe it is close to what those expensive kits are supposed to do. I know, the hi-tech suppliers will probably say that my installation will not achieve the results that their's does and I would probably agree, but for my investment I'm not realy worried about that. If I only get a 75% increase (based on the hi-tech claims) I'll be money ahead already and it can only get better - more horsepower and better mileage. OK. Here's what I used (don't laugh!): The bottom of a large coffee can, a 3" pcv pipe coupling and two stainless steel clamps with some black paint to blend it in with the car. The finished product looks like it was meant to be there. I also made a special bracket to support the filter. With some judicious measuring and tin-snipping and pcv sawing and about 2 hours of labor (actually less than that) I had the filter installed (the labor was cheap since I work for nothing being retired).
The coffee can O.D. is a perfect fit for the I.D. of the filter and the PCV coupling is the perfect fit to install into the existing duct. It simply took the careful fitting of the PCV coupling to the coffee can to make the adaptor. Who says you can't work on the new cars yourself?
I won't post a picture here, but if anyone would like to see the finished installation, just email me and I'd be glad to send you a snapshot.
Frank Hummel, Jr.
Email: fghjr@bellsouth.net
'05, Torrid Red, 6M with just under 14,000 miles