Old 02-18-2024, 06:20 PM

Default Position of Inner Front Fender Seals

'64 Lemans. I have replaced the fender seals that are stapled in and go over the upper control arms and the wide rectangle seals that run forward of those. This is where the bottom of the inner fenders ride along the frame rails. They can be installed with the seals going out to the wheel, so not visible in the engine compartment and sticking kind of straight out from frame rail into the wheel area. Or, the can be installed so that they sit upon the frame rail and go inward towards the engine. There they cover the frame rail and are visible in the engine compartment. Which way should they go? I first had them going into the wheel area but they just didn't look right and I have now changed them to go into engine area. Either way, it appears that they will do more to capture and hold dirt and moisture than prevent it. Current picture of driver's side. Thanks for any assistance here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seal.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	628877  

Old 02-18-2024, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They belong IN the engine compartment laying on the frame rail. There is also one on the front side of the control arm opening on the rail. all your staples ends should be in the engine compartment.
The one you show looks to big and does not appear to be of the same material as the upper arm shield.

"Bill"!

Old 02-18-2024, 09:52 PM

Bill, thank you for your response. And I appreciate your knowledge about how it should be. My car is not even close to an accurate resto. I tried to do the correct hard staples in the correct position, but after a lot of cursing, I gave up and did the SS wire closed on the back side. The seal material is just what is out there on the after market. The control arm seals look to be authentic, the other ones are too big and look like they were cut from old inner tubes. All were bought from current vendors. I will will cut them down. Thanks again for your expertise and input.