Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default How do I remove front/back windows?

In my sons 1976 Trans?

How do I get the chrome trim off them? Once that is off how do I get the windows out, just nicely hit on them from the inside till the seal breaks?

1966 Bonneville - 389/Auto
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Woody Wagon
1996 Thunderbird LX - V8 (new to the drive)
1976 Trans Am - 400 4sp
1981 Honda Express - Scooter - Orig Owner

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are several commercially available tools (inexpensive) for removing the mouldings WITHOUT damaging them.

A fibre stick is a good idea for gently lifting & holding the molding up to release the clips.

You CAN use a small hook tool,as well.

It's real easy once you figure it out. Take your time.

A draw knife is the fastest/simplest way to remove the back glass(without breaking it).

They are also reasonably priced & a handy thing to have in your tool box.

I prefer to use a wire & cut/saw through the sealer on windshield removal,if the goal is to re-install it.

If it is already broken/cracked,you can use a utility knife with a long blade to cut it out from the inside. BE CAREFUL!

DO NOT put excessive pressure on the glass as you will break it FOR SURE!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

The glass is in good shape I do want to keep it. Maybe I should pay someone to come and take them out.

1976 Trans Am - 400 4sp

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've heard guys use piano wire, or guitar strings.
I used the same wire used to hang large pictures with connected or wound around 2 peices of dowl or wood.
Find a spot to poke the wire through(use a stiff peice of wire to start a hole, wrap both ends around the wood or dowl peices, then with someone on the other side of the window slowly saw back and forth trying not to put pressure on the window. Use a knife to cut through the seal (silicone) on the outside after getting the trim off to help you out before you start sawing.
It really isn't that bad of a job just intimidating.
If me and my wife can do it I am sure you can tackle it with your son and save yourself $100-$150. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceta
I've heard guys use piano wire, or guitar strings.
I used the same wire used to hang large pictures with connected or wound around 2 peices of dowl or wood.
Find a spot to poke the wire through(use a stiff peice of wire to start a hole, wrap both ends around the wood or dowl peices, then with someone on the other side of the window slowly saw back and forth trying not to put pressure on the window. Use a knife to cut through the seal (silicone) on the outside after getting the trim off to help you out before you start sawing.
It really isn't that bad of a job just intimidating.
If me and my wife can do it I am sure you can tackle it with your son and save yourself $100-$150. Good luck.
The KEY words here are "take your TIME" & DON'T put ANY pressure/stress on the glass,because you will break it. (windshied especially)
It should pretty much just lift out. Go around TWICE if you think you need to.
Don't forget to unplug the windshield antenna! (& remove stops/rest on cowl)

Old 02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

so once I pull the chrome trim there is nothing holding them in but the black seal I see around them?

1976 Trans Am - 400 4sp

Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's right!
The glass is just bonded with butyl or urethane to the pinchweld.

Butyl is SOFT & should be cut twice. Likely your winshield has a butyl seal.

If your back window has NOT been out before,it should be urethane & they are TOUGH to cut.

If you see excessive amounts of sealer under the trim,Mr. Fix-it was likely there with his GOO,fixing water leaks.
The actual seal is between the glass & pinchweld,NOT beside the glass.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Chief

Mine looks to be all orig, never been out.

1976 Trans Am - 400 4sp