WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 AM

I,m hearing from internet sites that the zeta platform for 07-08 camaro and GTO has been canned due to lack of funds, and that G.M. will only have the corvette and a RWD Caddy as it's only RWD cars.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 AM

I,m hearing from internet sites that the zeta platform for 07-08 camaro and GTO has been canned due to lack of funds, and that G.M. will only have the corvette and a RWD Caddy as it's only RWD cars.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Too bad if it's true. Seems like GM is really screwed up right now...

They don't seem to know if they are coming or going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve kepecs:
".... the zeta platform for 07-08 camaro and GTO has been canned due to lack of funds..." QUOTE]

aka : lack of styling, lack of retro cues, lack of marketing, lack of appeal. Look for the GTO to be an option on the G6 in 07....can't have a GTO or Camaro that might cut into GMs execs bloated pensions. lack of funds my ass.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:06 AM

Yet ANOTHER positive responce from red 70.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:19 AM

I hope it doesn't get cancelled. This needs some competition.
http://www.svtownersassociation.com/...ead.php?t=9482
Old 03-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lutz is still comitted to RWD cars. GTO isn't cancelled. Where did it say that? It said it cancelled the RWD ZETA platform for North America. GTO was slated to go on it but since Zeta will continue down under, chances are the GTO will also continue to do so.

And don't be surprised if you see more RWD cars comint to NA from Australia.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 70455RA:
I hope it doesn't get cancelled. This needs some competition.
http://www.svtownersassociation.com/...ead.php?t=9482 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they ( GM ) does offer some competition to the Ford GT500 it won't be the GTO, but perhaps the Camaro. It makes more sense since both are considered and remembered as competing Pony Cars. I never understood why the GTO was always pitted against the Mustang. ...not even in the same class.... The elimination of the Zeta platform is GMs first step towards eliminating this blunder from down under (as a GTO). The GTO isn't even mentioned as a part of GMs Performance Lineup. Pontiac will either be eliminated or the GTO will be an option on the G6. Like it or not, for the GTO to survive it has to have some strong and instantly distinguishable retro cues. In terms of consumer appeal, a 400 hp jellybean is just another car.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Chief

Zeta is still moving forward, and it's only been cancelled here. Whether they import it as a Camaro or GTO or something entirely different, it will probably show up on US soil in some form. Personally I could care less if they name it GTO or not, and I can't wait to see what will happen if they call it a Camaro. The GTO-bickering of the last two years will be nothing when all those die-hard Chevy guys find out their icon is made in Australia.

Thread Hijack!

As for the jellybean comment, this car is an eyeball-magnet. It draws more attention than my classic Pontiac. People of all ages crane their necks when I drive by, and some even turn around and follow just to get a better look. Every time I park it in a public place, there's at least one person ogling my car when I come back. Everyone who's seen it up-close and personal raves that it's one of the nicest, coolest cars they've ever seen. Jellybeanesque, yes. But this is not just another car.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R.:
"... Jellybeanesque, yes. But this is not just another car. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My reference to that was on a general consumer level. It's overall consumer appeal is rather genric depsite it's performance which was my point to it being " just another car." To those looking for a pure modern day musclecar it seems fits quite nicely.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

I know what you mean, Jeff. I went through a drive-thru with mine the other night and the guy at the window leaned halfway out so he could watch me drive away. Before I pulled away, both he and a fellow worker of his had to comment on how "awesome" they thought the car looked.

Jellybeanesque? NO. My definition of that would be: "Looks like everything else on the road." That is exactly what "whatza" keeps saying. I don't see anybody leaning out drive-thru windows to check out a Cavalier, GP or even a G6. No "generic" consumer appeal in the GTO: Just genuine excitement everywhere I go.

Finally, I think you will agree with me based on your comments about your new one, I am personally quite happy with the GTO being continued in Australia for the time being. Holden has built one rockin' car!

Whatza: Stick that in your pipe (or under my tires) and smoke it!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:27 PM

MMMMM!...Black jelly beans are my favorite....
Does Whatzared70, even own a car?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rabon:

"...Holden has built one rockin' car!..."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Therein lies the demise of the GTO as Americas musclecar.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 PM

Muscle is muscle. Even an American built Camaro or Mustang has parts in it from Mexico, Tiawan, Japan,Spain,ect. Even a red 1970 GTO is at least half Canadian. If you truely want an all American car go visit a museum. I'm just happy we still have GREAT MUSCLE like the GTO still for sale here in the states. Any one who says the GTO is anything but a muscle car should update his eyewear.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve kepecs:
Any one who says the GTO is anything but a muscle car should update his eyewear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt it's a fine musclecar...just a lousy GTO. Even the GT0s made in Canada had a distinctive look as a GTO and a Pontiac powerplant. The GM Monaro could have very well survived as a musclecar under another name. Don't look for it to be around in 07. Be glad you got yours now. There will probably be a big run on 05s at the end of the year when GM announces its demise for 07.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve kepecs:
Any one who says the GTO is anything but a muscle car should update his eyewear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt it's a fine musclecar...just a lousy GTO. Even the GT0s made in Canada had a distinctive look as a GTO and a Pontiac powerplant. The GM Monaro could have very well survived as a musclecar under another name. Don't look for it to be around in 07. Be glad you got yours now. There will probably be a big run on 05s at the end of the year when GM announces its demise for 07. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Whatza. You're (again) wrong on all points.

1) As every owner and almost everyone who as ever even sat in one knows, the new GTO is distinctive in styling, both interior and exterior. You just don't like it and that's fine by us owners/enthusiasts. It also has retro styling cues as I previously demonstrated VERY CLEARLY in my original "Stylin' Smilin'" thread. There is simply nothing wrong with the styling as can be witnessed by just cruising in one to any public place. It is instantly recognized as "stand out" and always gets looks and thumbs-up signs as well as "cool", "awesome car", etc. comments. To say anything else is just bashing the car by people who don't know and or don't like it themselves. It is a cool, stylish, well-liked, well-built car.

2) No car will ever again have a "Pontiac" powerplant as most Pontiac enthusiast define such. Nevertheless, what the new GTO has is BETTER!

3) The new GTO is surviving just fine under that name. Check out the sales figures. There will most likely be no run on GTOs toward the end of the year for two reasons: a) there will probably be very few '05s left; and, b) there will be an '07 GTO.

Better than just saying "There will be a GTO in '07", let me go out on a limb. Holden has been working extensively with a 7 liter powerplant in their racing versions of the Monaro and I predict that later this year a factory "Judge" edition of the GTO may become available. Then, in '07, a 7 liter, aluminum block, behemoth would become the Humbler of all Humblers. Anyone want a factory muscle car that could do 0-100 in 7 seconds?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rabon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve kepecs:

No doubt it's a fine musclecar...just a lousy GTO. Even the GT0s made in Canada had a distinctive look as a GTO and a Pontiac powerplant. The GM Monaro could have very well survived as a musclecar under another name. Don't look for it to be around in 07. Be glad you got yours now. There will probably be a big run on 05s at the end of the year when GM announces its demise for 07. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Whatza. You're (again) wrong on all points.

Actually I've been right on all points. I was right when I said the 05 would be offered with an optional higher spoiler and larger facias to appeal to the tuner/ricer crowd. I also said don't count on the 07 being on a Zeta platform but rather as a "GTO" option on the G6. Time will tell on the latter.

It is a... well-liked, well-built car.

No argument there. It just makes a lousy GTO

Nevertheless, what the new GTO has is BETTER!

I have said numerous times the LS1 is a superior motor to anything Pontiac has produced. Other than the VIN, what makes this car a Pontiac? Nothing. Therefor it's demise as a Pontiac GTO in 07.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:15 PM

I think you just like to argue.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

So, do you have more detail on the demise of the GTO by the '07 model year ?
You must work at GM product planning or in a similar group to have such advanced information !
Old 03-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

I also said don't count on the 07 being on a Zeta platform but rather as a "GTO" option on the G6.

It just makes a lousy GTO

Therefor it's demise as a Pontiac GTO in 07. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong: still continued on Zeta platform, just not in US.

Wrong: Excluding the original Ferrari GTO, this car makes the best GTO ever in every category that is not subjective (and many would even give it the subjective categories).

As for the last comment: Yes, we'll see.