Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAquaBonney View Post
This is a beautiful thing that you have told me. Typically, I end up buying 2 or 3 or 4 of whatever before I get it right. I appreciate your help with this, A LOT.
Big Aqua....I'm waiting with baited breath to hear horw it goes with your waterpump. I know...It's not a big project to change, but I'm definitely interested in hearing how things go insofar as your enine temps when you get back on the road. Really glad you posted since it's started a small avalanche of useful info! Hope everything goes smoothly!

I'll be getting a water pump for my car soon also. I'm hopeful that your thread will end up being one of THE go-to threads for the 4 bolt water pumps down the road for everyone else! Please let us know how things go!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am also interested in what style pump impeller is currently in the car, with pictures would be good. It appears that the older pumps have the cast impeller with the vanes that look like paddles & the newer style pumps are spiral shaped.

POCI.org
Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anyone has either had first-hand experience rebuilding his 4-bolt pump, or if you have had one rebuilt for you, please post your results / parts suppliers / part numbers and/or shops that do it for ya!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont know about anyone else, but like I said earlier, I buy the stamped impeller pump & press it apart & reassemble with the correct impeller for my Tempest 4 cyl cars. Have had no issues with any I have done!

POCI.org
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is the seller from EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251069947599...84.m1423.l2649

Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAquaBonney View Post
Any idea if that is a NOS pump or a freshly rebuilt?? Add just says,,, "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging"

POCI.org
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith,

I'd think it's rebuilt. The description says he can rebuild just about anyrthing:

"I can rebuild any fuel pump, water pump, carburetor, genarator, starter, for any make and model at discount and wholesale prices ( with Core exchange), large orders welcome. Contact me at 609-462-7412 for pricing."

Sounds like that's his business. Looks great too.

Last edited by mviker; 09-10-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Dont know about anyone else, but like I said earlier, I buy the stamped impeller pump & press it apart & reassemble with the correct impeller for my Tempest 4 cyl cars. Have had no issues with any I have done!
Keith can you post a couple of tutorial pics on what it takes to swap impellers? I know I for one would benefit, and I dare say the udders reading this would, too.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey guys,

I got the pump I ordered yesterday and by gummies, I have yet another twist to the saga that is the 4 bolt water pump. Have any of you seen a pump with a plastic impellor? Well, thanks to my p*ss poor vision, I ordered one on Ebay. At the time, I could have sworn it had a cast impellor, but I'll be darned if it's not plastic. I pulled it out of the box and when I realized it, went to the auction and sure enough, the one in the pics was plastic too. Sometimes these details fly right on by. I'm not kicking myself though. The impellor IS the right shape and depth. I'm also trying to convince myself that maybe there's a sliver of weight savings too. LOL

BigAqua...I also saved the link you gave for your auction. The guy has a few of your style pumps for sale, so I decided to go forth and grab one from him too just for grins (and to have onhand as a spare). Nice deal too. Free shipping at $59 bucks. Niiiice.

Ok, Not sure when the time will come to install, but I'll also post if that's ok when that time arrives to let you all know if the temps improve or not. Might have to wait until next year too as fall's approach is cooling things down some around here in Virginia. I'll be installing it in the next week or two, but if the weather continues to cool, then it's next summer for the real test.

Here are pics of the plastic impellor pump. I guess the plastic is some bakelite type of material? It IS strong and doesn't flex, but I do have some concern about it once it's in the car. Dunno if it's warranted or not though. Let me know if any of you have run into one of these things!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	297171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	297172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	297173   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	297174  

Last edited by mviker; 09-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

mviker, do you have the listing number from EBay?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep and I can do ya one better. #251069947599.

Here's the link also...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251069947599...84.m1439.l2649

Oops! Were you talking about YOUR auction? Just in case, here's the one I bought (Plastic impellor) also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221083503311...84.m1439.l2648

Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Keith can you post a couple of tutorial pics on what it takes to swap impellers? I know I for one would benefit, and I dare say the udders reading this would, too.
I dont have any pics of a water pump tear down & rebuild. I do remember that I had to start from the front where the fan bolts on to pull it apart. First I measured exactly how deep the front hub was on the shaft & how far the impeller was from the housing. I used the impeller & shaft assembly in the new pump. Didnt want to risk it trying to get the Tempest impeller off of the shaft without breaking it.

POCI.org
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interesting about the plastic impeller!!

POCI.org
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen one myself. I guess there's a;ways a first eh? My biggest concern is that it might crack or break under stress and leave little plastic bits in the cooling system. Other than that, who knows? It might not be a bad thing. It's got the right design and is the deep vane version, so I'm inclined to at least throw 'er in there and see what happens.

So Keith, I take it you remove the fan side end and push the whole shaft with the impellor through, then install it in your new pump when you make the swaps? Sounds like you have a press handy. Just disassmble the old and new, then swap the shafts with the impellor on and reinstall the fan end? Is there anything going on with the shaft within the pump that needs to be done also?

I Appreciate you sharing your wisdom!

Kevin

Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
So Keith, I take it you remove the fan side end and push the whole shaft with the impellor through, then install it in your new pump when you make the swaps? Sounds like you have a press handy. Just disassmble the old and new, then swap the shafts with the impellor on and reinstall the fan end? Is there anything going on with the shaft within the pump that needs to be done also?

I Appreciate you sharing your wisdom!

Kevin
There are 2 bearings, inner & outer. Between the bearings & the impeller is a seal that keeps the coolant in the motor. There is also a seal infront of the front bearing to keep dust & dirt out. These all have to go back in in the correct order & orientation. I did have access to a press while I was working, but have not worked since nov 2010 dut to an injury at work. Still not resolved & still not working!

POCI.org
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
There are 2 bearings, inner & outer. Between the bearings & the impeller is a seal that keeps the coolant in the motor. There is also a seal infront of the front bearing to keep dust & dirt out. These all have to go back in in the correct order & orientation. I did have access to a press while I was working, but have not worked since nov 2010 dut to an injury at work. Still not resolved & still not working!
Where do you get the new parts?
Thanks, Les

Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said, For my Tempest 4 cylinder cars, that use a different impeller than the V8 cars, I buy a rebuilt V8 pump, press it apart & use the impeller from my old pump on the new pump. I dont buy a kit or anything.

POCI.org
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back to the top with this thread.

Has anyone with running hot/overheat issues with a 4 bolt pump pulled their pump out yet to see if they have the correct one in there???

POCI.org
Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't gotten there yet, but hope to pull my old pump sometime this week.

Relative to that...I also ordered one of the pumps that BigAqua picked up off Ebay. It came in yesterday and I took some time to play with it and get it ready to go into the car. One thing that stirred my curiosity was the rough surface on the cast impellor. It occured to me that smoothing the surface might help the coolant to flow better, so I filed the rough parts on the push side of the vanes so they are now much smoother. I have no idea if this will actually help or not, but will find out soon. It started as just cleaning up the surface rust, but morphed into smoothing the vanes. I tried not to get too carried away. Just knocked off the roughest edges. Turned out good I think.

Assuming the weather cooperates, I'm going to get started this week putting it in. Will pass on the results when I'm done.

Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	297527   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	297528   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	297529  

Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW,Fabcraft sold a alu 4 bolt water pump.Not sure if he still have them.I ran one for a long time.Have to see if I still have it.Tom