National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what attendance to those national Pontiac events are dropping? By number of people going with cars or people coming to see cars? If both then it is unsustainable and is an outdated model.

What event is increasing in both? Norwalk doing good still?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Made my reservations at the Clarion today. It took over 20 minutes and two clerks to get it done however. Seems the code we need is 'IndyGTO'S'. The odd thing is when I got my confirmation via email it's simply a confirmation as to the dates. When I click to get the details I get a message that tells me I'm a member of a group and must contact the hotel directly. I'll check closer to the date, but I sure hope they've got it right. We went over it three times, it should be right.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-13-2014, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No! No! No! The "Indy GTO" block is for the Indy GTO club, one if the host clubs. There are three blocks... Indy GTO, Batesville, and the GTOAA Convention Block. Must be a weekend help issue. I know many others that have not had an issue. I will take care of this first thing Monday! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Jerry!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
No! No! No! The "Indy GTO" block is for the Indy GTO club, one if the host clubs. There are three blocks... Indy GTO, Batesville, and the GTOAA Convention Block. Must be a weekend help issue. I know many others that have not had an issue. I will take care of this first thing Monday! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Jerry!
Sorry! But I told him 'GTOAA' first. I had to go through it like G-George, T-Tom, O-Ocean, etc. and he put me on hold and came back with the 'Indy GTO Club and I thought that was it. He was of middle eastern descent, so who knows! He finally had to turn it over to someone else to finish the reservation. I also needed to get a handicap accessible room with 2 beds and that seemed to be a problem for a second but they said they got it solved. I sure hope so.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem Jerry. We'll take care of it. Hotel is American owned and I have been dealing with them for 3 years. Never seen or dealt with any non American there. I will make sue all is right with your reservation.

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM

Default room reservations/register

I don't see anything about 2015 GTOAA convention either on gtoaa website or Indy GTOs? I'd like to at least secure my room at the host hotel at this time. Please provide details with block code and on how to reserve room. When will convention registration be available?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Columbus 2015 Convention info should be up shortly on the GTOAA Site. The Host Hotel is the Clarion. Call them direct at 1(812)372-1541. State you need to make reservations for the GTOAA Convention next year. If they say they will connect you to reservations, tell them to keep your call in the hotel! We have had occasions where the front desk transferred the call to the national reservation center and those people will tell you they can't take a reservation that far out. We are working with the hotel to get past this little glitch. They are taking reservations, over 100 rooms are booked already. Close to half. Let me know if you have any issues. Thanks!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, Jerry... You are all set!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
BTW, Jerry... You are all set!
Thanks Paul. Good Lord willing and the scooter don't quit and I'll be there!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got my reservation July 4th. The wife was right on it!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Default Conventions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I believe we are all concerned about the future of our hobby--especially the two organizations that hold it all together. The low attendance at the 2014 POCI and GTOAA conventions is alarming. Maybe we need to have POCI/GTOAA Co-Ventions every year instead of trying to support two. Has anyone noticed that, for 2015, even though the POCI and GTOAA conventions are close to each other--Louisville, KY and Columbus, IN,--the dates are not conducive to going to both in one trip? GTOAA is July 7-11 and POCI is July 21-25.

We were excited to see the two 2015 conventions in close proximity to each other, but after seeing the dates, most of us have already ruled out going to both--at least those of us who would travel a substantial distance to Louisville, KY or Columbus, IN.

I certainly don't have answers for our concerns, but maybe this forum is an appropriate place to voice our opinions about how to improve participation in our yearly get-togethers. For most of us, the conventions are the only time we see each other for a full year. That makes these events important, not just for the car show/swap meet, but a chance to re-connect with old friends that have a common interest--PONTIACS! This PY forum is great in that it allows us to stay in contact, but it's not like seeing each other face-to-face once in awhile!

My 2 cents:

I like all the Pontiac cars, and currently own a 70 GTO Convert, and a 67 GP Convert.

I say it is time to combine POCI and GTOAA, or at least begin the conversation(s). In my opinion, one of the best car shows to attend is one that has variety.

Have 3 conventions a year, one on the east coast, one west, both with floating locations, and a third at Norwalk each year (combine with the Tri-Power Nats). If it determined that 3 are to many, make it 2 but keep Norwalk on the same date every year for planning purposes.

We need to consolidate the hobby and encourage all Pontiac fans to work together. This would make it easier for the vendors and fans to plan.

Now let the backlash begin...

Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
My 2 cents:

I like all the Pontiac cars, and currently own a 70 GTO Convert, and a 67 GP Convert.

I say it is time to combine POCI and GTOAA, or at least begin the conversation(s). In my opinion, one of the best car shows to attend is one that has variety.

Have 3 conventions a year, one on the east coast, one west, both with floating locations, and a third at Norwalk each year (combine with the Tri-Power Nats). If it determined that 3 are to many, make it 2 but keep Norwalk on the same date every year for planning purposes.

We need to consolidate the hobby and encourage all Pontiac fans to work together. This would make it easier for the vendors and fans to plan.

I think you are definitely on the right track. Although I have not been closely involved with the inner working of either club in many, many years, I once was and at one time both clubs were very political. If they they aren't today it might be hard to get both boards to agree to a merger.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
My 2 cents: ... We need to consolidate the hobby and encourage all Pontiac fans to work together. This would make it easier for the vendors and fans to plan.

There is wisdom in this. Strength in numbers, if you will.

Only time will tell...

Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both clubs are doing fine financially... That's probably enough of a reason that a merge is far off at this point. I strongly agree that would strengthen the hobby. The POCI Convention situation is not a good sign in my opinion. It is a strong indication of an aging club when you can't get volunteers from within your membership. Both clubs need to embrace the assistance being offered to them. But what do I know? Lol

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe the people that hated the GTOs and their owners and refused to acknowledge their existence are gone. Back in the early 80s the POCI did not want us around and that's why the GTOAA was formed. I think having an occasional GTOAA/POCI national event is alright but no way a permanent joining of the clubs. I like them all just think there's a place for both but putting the clubs together is not the answer.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

I'll be at Louisville in 2015! Haven't been to a convention since West Virginia. Louisville is only 2 hours from me. I'll be taking the "Wagon of Doom". Time for some fresh Kentucky air!!!

Did you know there was a Colonel Sanders Museum in Louisville? I will definitely have to get a t-shirt

Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Head Judge for the POCI had referred to GTO's as "the other cars" in my presence more than once. Pretty telling. It is not everyone there, just some of the old timers still have that attitude.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Booked my room, no issues.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
There is wisdom in this. Strength in numbers, if you will.

Only time will tell...
Per the PY July nmewsletter. Pretty much nails it on the head.
Quote:
The GTOAA (and other 60's clubs) are at a crossroads where the status quo will not do much longer. It's time for all of us to start thinking outside the box and start planning for change.

Attendance at the GTOAA Nationals celebrating 50 years of GTO's MUST draw more than 200 GTO's! I personally counted every car on show day and the total was 197. That included 21 2004-2006 GTO's and another 22 'other' Pontiacs. That's outdoor and indoor. That's both rooms. GTO owners are still out there. I estimate that there should be 100,000 counting clones, Tempest and Lemans. They have cars that I'm sure they are proud of but there are reasons why they choose not to bring their car to a convention.

One reason for poor attendance or manpower is that there are too many small local clubs! Notice in 2008 how smart business's pooled resources to counter lagging sales because of poor economy. This practice continues with most successful businesses. Mergers and acquisitions are allowing otherwise ailing businesses to not only survive but thrive. Look closely around the muscle car hobby itself. There are a bunch of business's being bought, sold and merged to remain profitable. The same thing should happen with our clubs. If you merge clubs, you have more manpower to put on a National show. There is power in numbers!

Then when you have a National event......YOU MEAN IT! It's big and it's something that you DON'T want to miss! And both the local Chapter and the National Chapter must do a better job of promoting the event and giving more reasons why it shouldn't be missed. Look no further than the Co-vention. The size of both of those shows was greater than the average GTOAA and POCI convention put together. That shows you that there is power in numbers and strength in merging (combining resources). People want to see and be a part of something BIG!
Promotion, promotion, promotion. How do yo think The Indian Uprising grows each year? We promote the living hell out of it. And people know the quality of the show, They know what to expect. This was our most successful year in 24 years. Thats the reason why the PY show keeps growing.

Im a firm believer in the promotional aspect. It was when we hosted the biggest POCI show here in 2012. Both of these clubs rely on their membership to come to the show. A big problem we saw was that when building the St Charles show, there wasn't much word sent to anyone outside the club. We decided to do to it differently. Having a big social media presence and online viability is a HUGE start. As a non member of both of these clubs (just renewed my lapsed POCI membership a couple of weeks ago), If it weren't for the PY board, I would never know the show dates or even know there was a convention on either side..

late to the conversation here but I just saw this thread.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to kylek350

I recently joined GTOAA and was surprised to find that there's a separate local (Chicago) club for it (I'm already a member of POCI and the Cruisin' Tigers). I'm mostly an A-body guy, but I appreciate all Pontiacs, so my draw will generally be stronger to POCI. Between work and family life, I already find it difficult to participate in one club as much as I'd like.

But I totally agree with the sentiments that people have to focus on how we're all alike, not different. When I attend car shows, I love learning about why someone formed a particular love affair with his/her car. For me it was very early memories of my dad's car. As I've gotten older, I've definitely come to realize that this is more about the people than the cars. The cars just happen to be the vehicles (pun partially intended ) that glue us together. When it rained at Norwalk on Saturday this year, I honestly didn't mind the damper it put on the show. It was great sitting in a tent and sharing brews and stories with people I don't get to see all the time.