National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 08-09-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCronkGTO View Post
Tom,

I think the "central" folks have many more "opportunities" to show their cars other than the GTOAA National events. Also they are centrally located and may have had to choose between a POCI event and/or GTOAA event in the same year. I am also a member of both and can not afford to do both in the same year. Like you I attended the co-vention in 2013 but registered through POCI because I was showing my Grand Prix.

Now on the other hand the folks out west probably don't have the opportunity to attend many Nationals so when they do get one there is "pent up demand" therefore the higher percentage. Which begs the question. Do we really need to have a National every year? It has always been that way but if attendance is dwindling and costs escalating maybe we need to look at every other year? I bet attendance would go up. Maybe alternate with POCI? Just something to think about.

Bottom line is if no other club put in a bid then "more power to them".

MarkC
Mark:
Going way out west or way back east is just like not having a Convention every year in the Midwest. As previously stated, we could not do a GTOAA Convention without the help of our Chapters and if one wants to do it and has the manpower, organization and desite, let them do it no matter where it is. It gives those GTOAA members an opportunity to experience what many of the Midwestern members get to experience much more often. They pay their $35 and should get the same benefits.
Plus, it gives us midwestern members the opportunity to go to a part of the country we may never get to see. We are going to Seattle and will also be on "The Legend" for the GTOAA Cruise to Alaska. Something we have wanted to do for 20 years. Join us.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTOAA nationals from a vendors point of view. Have been to many: Bloomfield Hills, St. Louis, Wichita, Dayton and others. I always pull a small trailer, took a week to get there and hit every wrecking I could find on the way, always had a great time coming and going, putting a face to voices I've talked to on the phone etc.

The GTOAA conventions have always been great, maybe a little slow vending but it gave us enough time to look at the cars, attend events and just plain have fun.

The co-ventions were a different thing. They seemed a little more unorganized but the biggest difference is you could cut the tension with a knife. Not really knowing any of the people it charge, it didn't take long to find out. A lot of animosity was viewed both verbally and by innuendo.

That all said, I'm really looking forward to the Seattle event. Would really be a terrific place for many to vacation next summer, there is so much to see and do within a 50 mile radius of the convention site. Come on out and we can share some stories.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Definitely do the Alaskan inside passage! I did it 2 years ago on Norwegian Cruise lines. I have done other cruises including Hawaii but the Alaskan cruise was the best. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Unfortunately the cost and time to travel to the Seattle convention is not in my budget.

It is a shame that the clubs do not "play well" together. I personally think this hobby could be so much better if they did. Kind of a "turn off". I have been restoring/showing/racing Pontiacs for over 30 years and one thing I have no patience for is arrogance and closed minded people.

MarkC

Old 08-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead455 View Post
I asked that question yesterday via email and was told that there is no drag racing.
Very disappointing to say the least.
That really sucks!, was going to go , but the POCI is on the same week in Iowa

1968 Firebird Race Car,525 CU IAll looking for low 10 second passes!
1970 442, # Matching 455, 4 Speed W-25 hood
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 PM

Default 2016 GTOAA National Convention

IT'S ALIVE!!! Check out northwestlegends.com. Online registration for the 2016 GTOAA Convention in Bellevue/Seattle, Washington went live today! Hotel reservations are going at a record pace. National tells us that no National GTOAA Convention has received this much interest, this early in GTOAA's long history. Over one quarter of our room block for both Host and overflow Hotels have already been reserved. 18 families have already booked for the Alaska Cruise and it's barely September. Get your reservations made NOW!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Am I reading the registration info correctly? On top of $157 a night, we also have to pay $20/night to park?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
Am I reading the registration info correctly? On top of $157 a night, we also have to pay $20/night to park?
The GTOAA room rate at the Host Hotel (Hilton) is $157/night. Parking is free. The GTOAA rate at the overflow hotel is $129 (Red Lion). The Red Lion, an older hotel, is located immediately adjacent to the Hilton. I know these rates seem high to many in the Midwest, but these are screaming rates for the Seattle/Bellevue market. If you book the Hilton right now for a trip next July on your own, it would be $245/night. The Red Lion would be $178/night. As you get closer to the summer months, the Hilton rate will reach a $300 - $350/night.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Now that is the reason I see is a big reason the amount of people are not going to the nats. I use to go to the nats every year, from 1984 to 194 I was there. But I like some had some money problems because of a divorce which was ,, well some know. But it seems every year the hotels that are used have the highest prices around. When you add in up until just recently the price of gas at $ 4.00 a gal. plus the cost of the hotels & food & any extras that you might want to do plus if you need any parts why your there or just want to pick up some new stuff for your toys, you add all that in & for me it is just far to much. I thought about going to ST.Louis but when I figured in all the costs it would have cost me around $ 2000.00 to go. I am now on disability because of an injury that was out of my control there was no way I could do it. I know I'm probably in the minority here but I can't see going to a show & have to stay 3 night min. at any show. I usually go for 2 nights & 3 days but with being told I have to stay well that fro me will always be a deal breaker no matter were we go. Plus the host hotels are always the most expensive around. I know we need a big space & big hotel but we don't need the biggest price to go with it. Now to another big reason I don't belong any more. I can't see paying $ 85.00 for a membership , I think that price is so out of range that I can't & won't pay that amount to join. There should be a fee , & I say small fee if you just want to come to the nats. & that way Im sure you would get a lot more coming to the nats. I know a lot of guys who drive & love GTO's but won't pay the fee you charge but would love to be able to come & show their cars during the nats but refuse like me to pay the outragious amount for the membership. I think that needs to be addressed. As I said I use to belong & came to a lot of nats. but , & I was one of your Judges for the 85-86 nats. Again I know my concerns are mine & there aren't many in my spot now but with the amount of money that it takes just to come each year it has just got out of hand. I know that you see it because the ones that come to the central area nats. are usually the same ones & they seem to be the ones who now trailer in their cars & win their years & tell the same old stories , & it because you have made this a rich mans show & club. Thats why those same people come & can afford the high prices. I really think instead of trying to out do the last years club with the biggest hotel & the biggest meals I the biggest awards, it needs to go back to the way it started. A family event for everybody not just he who has the biggest wallet. Choose a nice hotel that will hold the 300-400 who will now show up because they can afford it & have a good meal thats not from a 5 star chef. The people who come & give the talks are going to come & you don't have to pay them 6 figures to speak. I'm sure if you take some of this into consideration you'll get your growth & make a lot more people happy & come to the nats, the way they use to. Because we really haven't grown at the nats because the same amount of people who came to the 85 nats. are still the same amount that came to the last nats. We/you may be growing the membership but your not growing the attendance at the Nats. This is just me

Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I see where the confusion is on the parking charge. It was brought to my attention that the Hotel's email confirmation states a $20/night charge for parking. This is Bellevue Hilton's "standard" response in their canned email. We negotiated free parking for the 2016 Convention and have confirmed it with the Hilton. We added a bold statement on the Hotel Registration site that parking is free. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

See you in Seattle/Bellevue next year!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Experience Music Project is in Seattle which features Jimi Hendrix items. Since Hendrix was an icon of the 1960s, it makes sense to include a stop at this place as part of the Convention.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM

It's been awhile since I have posted on this site regarding Northwest GTO Legends efforts on hosting the 2016 GTOAA National Convention. We are still early in the registration process, but activity has been amazing. We already have people registered from 15 States and 2 Canadian Providences. States as far away as New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Arizona, Illinois, Missouri, Texas and Alaska are all represented, as well as, our neighbors in Oregon, Idaho and California. The Host Hotel is already more than 75% booked. If you are coming and want to stay at the Host Hotel, I would get reservations made. There still is plenty of room in our "overflow" hotels. 38 cabins have been booked, to date, on the Alaska Cruise. We still have more room - please join us. Look forward to seeing all of you in July!!

Old 01-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Survivor - thanks for the update on the Convention. I'm planning to attend, as are a number of others from the Greater Pittsburgh GTO Club.

It seems like there's a trade off between giving out too much information on expected attendance and not providing enough. I can see where people are hesitant to sign up if they don't know that the Convention will be well-attended, and the host clubs or the GTOAA may be hesitant to publish low numbers if there isn't early momentum. A classic "Catch-22".

I'd rather see the stats updated regularly - how many people, how many cars, etc. Anyone who's getting on a plane or going on the cruise is committed either way.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:26 PM

Longs,

I would be happy to share numbers. The hotel booking is way beyond anything we expected at this early date and National tells us that it is unprecedented. We have close to 200 families registered so far which equates to over 400 people. As expected, most of the hotel activity is at the host Hotel - Bellevue Hilton. We are about 80% of our hotel block at the Hilton and once these are gone, the Hilton has no more rooms for those dates, but we have adequate capacity at overflow hotels. If you check online with the Hilton to book these dates in July, you will find that the few rooms they have left are going at $369/night. I know our Convention rate of $157/night seems high for many, but in Seattle/Bellevue for a hotel of this quality it is a screaming rate.

The Convention registration has gone much slower. We have about 55 families registered and 30 - 35 cars. National tells us this is normal as everyone knows the Convention will not sell out, but the hotel might. Plus the hotel takes your credit card number, but does not charge it. The Convention fees are collected once registration is made. The positive thing is that most of the Convention registration is from people very far away. We have 15 states and 2 Canadian Providences already represented. Even in our own Club, we only have a hand full registered. We have more people from PA, TX, IN and MO than we have from our neighboring State of Oregon. We are confident that the locals, at the end, will be here in big numbers.

Bottom line, we are confident that this will be a very well attended Convention and maybe one of the largest GTOAA's ever. Please join us. You will not regret it.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a hotel reservation, but I haven't signed up for anything w/r/t the convention. I will when my plans firm up.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

was reading beginners guide to the convention and it says all A body car must be a member of GTOAA if coming to the show. My car is a A Body but not going to be in councours, it's modified so would I still be required to be a member of GTOAA?? The Canadian dollar is bad so I need all my pennies to pay for fuel, LOL. Crap we don't have pennys anymore so I need my nickels.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM

If you have a non-GTO Pontiac and are not entering a Concours class, you do not need to be a member of GTOAA. You will pay the $69 registration fee vs. a $59 fee that GTOAA members pay. If you enter an "A" body, non-GTO Pontiac into a Concours class, you then must be a member of GTOAA. This the first year that non-GTO, A bodies can be Concours judged.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok room booked, well have confirmation anyhow, Red Lion appears to be sold out for that Price, so got stuck at Hilton.

See ya in July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10683746_10154571765740319_4959997288659342490_o.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	419325  

Old 01-27-2016, 10:51 PM

The Red Lion is not even close to sold out. Send me a PM and I will fix it.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was gonna post on Canadian Poncho site about close to sell out for Hotels but will wait till I here form you.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:02 AM

I sent you a PM. Here is the update on Convention Hotels. The host Hotel - Bellevue Hilton is over 80% booked already, but still has rooms available. The overflow Red Lion still has a lot of rooms available at the Convention rate of $129/night. Make sure you enter the promo code found on our Convention web site - northwestlegends.com. The Red Lion promo code is: GTOA0713