Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-14-2024, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Did he say that ? I missed that part.
Yep and was adamant that it was ok. According to him he's done that a couple times even after a bunch of us told him that was not a great idea

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-14-2024, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh boy, live and learn I guess

Old 02-14-2024, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
In another amusing, now closed post this "wive's tale" was brought up. I'm in my '70's and can attest to how this wive's tale grew legs ... because it happened, a lot.
An important issue that wasn't addressed: Debris put inside the engine due to the top-end service work.

I'm specifically talking about cleaning gasket surfaces with "surface conditioning discs" which--where I worked--were called "cookies". Basically a scotch-brite pad on a mandrel, spun by a die-grinder. GM service manuals have warned against using surface conditioning discs for decades.

Man, they leave a beautiful, polished surface where the gasket and sealer used to be.

'Course, they also abrade the metal in the process--aluminum worse than iron, but even iron isn't immune. Load those parts into a surface-grinder, and you'll have visual evidence of the valleys they abrade into the gasket surfaces.

The invisible damage is all the microscopic silicon dioxide particles that enter the internal (oil-wetted) surfaces of the block and heads. Worse still--all those microscopic particles entering your lungs, and entering the shop stall next to whoever is using the "cookie", so that all the work in the shop gets contaminated to greater or lesser degrees.

Approximately the same can be said for hardened carbon deposits dislodged but not fully cleaned-up. All that "charcoal" dropped or washed into the oil pan, then run through the bearings and hydraulic lifters.

Yet another facet is a failing engine makes half or less of it's supposed horsepower rating. The worn-out, clogged, restricted radiator can handle the heat inherent in occasional half-power. Engine gets repaired, now makes full power. Operator is so happy, he spends more time whacking the throttle open and feeling the newfound surge. Faulty radiator can't deal with the additional heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I've had a number of Subarus. I've had the head gaskets done on 3, as new as a 2016. On EVERY one, they used oil after a top end rebuild.
Subarus should ship from the factory with a spare head gasket set in the trunk.

Last edited by Schurkey; 02-14-2024 at 09:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: