Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile 62 build sheet info

CCGP, you didn't indicate what options you've already figured out.

Do any of them show an asterisk ahead of the code, suggesting perhaps that the item is standard content?

Where was the car final assembled? If the Pontiac Plant, are the options coded by numeric Sales Codes in Boxes 38 thru 78 on the PHS doument? If yes, what is coded in the Box labeled GRPS?

These codes are obviously the old Accessory Code format, at least thru '58, the Accessorizer listed the options according to these 1 & 2 character codes. I'm sure some of them were coded the same in '62 as they had been in '58. Not sure if these codes will appear in a '62 Accessorizer, by then, I think the options were identified by the 3 digit numeric Sales Code, so it may be that the Build Sheet was coded with an old format system while the Manifest record was coded with the numeric Sales Codes.

I suspect your GP was ordered with 1 or more Accessory Group options. That may be indicated on the PHS doc in the GRPS box.

It would be helpful to know if any of these codes are also found on the Body Data Plate.

I'm gonna post what I think some of these things decode to, even though I may be way off base so you can critique what I have uncovered and see what if any of it matches to the car and/or the PHS.

716=Does this match to the Body No. on the Data Plate perhaps?
1962-2947='62 Grand Prix Style Code
AA=Lower Body Color Starlight Black/Upper Body Color Starlight Black
289=Black Imitation Leather (vinyl) Interior Trim, specific to bucket seat GP
TOP-1=Ivory Cordova Top
ES=
K=
KK=
G=Windshield Washer Option
JX=Instrument Panel Pad (may have been standard content in the GP)
FC=HD Air Cleaner & Silencer
J=Parking Brake Lamp. J is listed twice, perhaps one of these is actually coded:
J1=possibly Cordova Top Option
JJ=Inside Non-Glare Tilting Mirror
G2=Two Speed Windshield Wipers
H=Custom Steering Wheel
DM=
F=Back-up Lamps
GY=Luggage & Utility (reel out) Lamp
FX=Glove Compartment Lamp
FR=possibly for the Dome Reading Lamp or the Remote Control Outside Mirror
HH=Courtesy Lamps
HX=Ash Tray Lamps
J=Parking Brake Lamp. J is listed twice, perhaps one of these is actually coded:
J1=possibly Cordova Top Option
CL=possibly a combination to indicate Power Steering (C) and Power Brakes (L)
LL=Dual Exhausts
I=Soft Ray Glass, All Windows
QX=Power Windows
SZ=
QC=Deluxe Floor Carpet
N=Air Conditioning
M=Electric Clock
AB=possibly to indicate Auto Trans
SY=

If the 8 lugs were a factory option, I'm guessing one of the codes points to that. Also, I'm guessing it has a factory radio option and possibly a rear speaker option, codes probably listed for them as well. Any codes on the Data Plate will probably help establish the codes that affected the Body Assembly vs. those that did not.

Last edited by John V.; 01-26-2009 at 05:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Default codes

John V. Thanks for info. Lot's of data to search for. Didn't go out in the garage to check out the data plate but did look up all the codes on the PHS. You hit almost all of them but some have changed from '58 to '62.
following is what I found different from what you posted.
ES -power antenea
K -2 speed wiper's
KK -foam cushion, rear( believe this is the arm rest)
J -listed twice for some odd reason but is the parking brake light
J1 -isn't listed in my previous post
G2 is GZ -remote mirror
DM -decor moulding(probably standard on GP)
FR -dome/reading/map lite
HX -cigarette lighter & ash tray lite
CL -power steering & brake's(standard on GP I think)
SZ -bucket seat's(standard on GP)
QC -spare tire cover
AB -8 lug al. wheel's
That leave's the SY code unaccounted for. It is listed on the build sheet from PHS at the end of the codes but has no place for the code to be inserted. Just hanging out there in the middle of no where. There's a series of number & letter's off to the side in two row's, one above the other. Just below the SY is the number 60 but don't believe they have any relationship to one another. just a "storage" place for them. Maybe something for the assembly line worker's? As Matt would say, the guy's name!!
All the other code's match what you indicated so apparently there were some change's between '58 & '62 but not a lot.
There are number's listed for the different item's in the PHS documentation also. For example, the first area to be checked on the option list is htr. & under that is listed push button or manual. Under that is listed the letter codes of BC & BD. Following that down another line is the number 38 & two empty boxes that could be checked for one or the other. With AC, as this car has, the push button would have been standard. Based on the PHS document's, my guess is '62 was using a combination of letter's & number's for the line's. Still leave's the problem of solving the SY code. It appear's on both the build sheet & PHS but no where in sequence to be decoded.
Been trying to solve this mystery for several year's & have contacted Mike Gripo of POCI fame too. He didn't have a clue either even after actually seeing a copy of the build sheet from PHS. Odd situation.
Have an accs. catalog but there's no letter or number codes listed in it. Just if it's factory or dealer installed. Maybe it's a mystery that'll never be solved.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CCGP, well I don't give up so easy! I'm not solely relying on the '58 codes to decode your list.

Not sure you understood my comment about Code J1.

Since you listed Code J twice, I speculated that one of these is actually coded J1, the "1" perhaps unclear.

Since the car is known to be equipped with the Cordova Top option and since J1 is possibly the Code for this option, it would make sense that the J1 is coded and unlikely that J is coded twice. J1 was the code used in '62 by Oldsmobile for the Vinyl Top option.

Rear Seat Foam Cushion was an option with Code KK is '58. However, I'm not so sure this was an available option in '62. I can't find evidence of it. I'd be more apt to believe it indicates the Rear Armrest, although I'm not sure that was an option that could be separately ordered. It was just part of the standard GP seat configuration. Is there something on the PHS that establishes this Code? Perhaps it designated the GP Rear Seat configuration altogether, with the Fold Down Arm Rest and Rear Speaker Grille? Olds had a Code K6 in '62 that was used to designate what they called a "Divided Second Seat". Only some of the '62 Olds Codes match up to the '62 Pontiac Codes, so this clue proves little or nothing. Other Olds Codes were used from K1 to K9 that don't seem to have any connection to Pontiac K Codes. Olds did offer the Rear Seat Foam Cushion in '62.

Front Seat Foam Cushion was a Pontiac option in '62 but only provided for the full bench seat. Not applicable to Bucket Seats to my knowledge.

You're really making me guess without benefit of seeing the Data Plate, the PHS document, or confirming how the car is actually equipped, LOL!

You say ES identifies the Power Antenna? What about the Radio and Speaker? Does the car have the Wonderbar Radio option or the Super Deluxe Radio option? Separa-Phonic Rear Seat Speaker?

I suspect this car was optioned with some of the Accessory Group options.

The Super Deluxe Radio was part of the Basic Group option package.

The Wonderbar Radio was part of the Deluxe Basic Group option package.

I don't know the entire make-up of either package, but I suspect your GP was ordered with one or the other.

You apparently have the Remote O/S Mirror & the Tilting Non-Glare Inside Mirror.

What about the Visor Vanity Mirror? If so, that is the 3rd option that comprised the Mirror Group option package.

It seems you have all 6 of the individual options that comprised the Lamp Group option package, so likely the Lamp Group was ordered.

In order to try and isolate what Code SY may have connected to, I'd still be interested in the codes on the Data Plate.

From your posts already, there is really only one option that the car apparently did not get, Power Seats. I guess I also know it has 8 lugs, so it did not have any of the Wheel Disc options.

The GP came standard I believe with the Center Console w/ Tach if Man Trans or w/ Vac Gauge if Auto Trans. I wonder if that is coded?

To narrow down some of the remaining possibilities from the full list of available '62 Pontiac Options, which of these options is your GP equipped with:

Automatic Trans
Engine Option
Safe-T-Track Differential
Magi-Cruise Cruise Control
Door Edge Guards
Safeguard Speedometer W/ Low Fuel Lamp (this was part of the Safety Group option package together with the I.P. Pad option and the Windshield Washer option. The I.P. Pad was standard content in the GP and you do have the Windshield Washer. If this 3rd option was included, then the car also was ordered with the Safety Group option package, and likely this option must have a Code)
Floor Mats (not sure about '62 but usually offered as either Front Only or Front & Rear. Floor Mats were also part of the Protection Group option package with Door Edge Guards and Spare Tire Cover)
Guide-Matic Headlamp Control
White Sidewall Tires

Unless you say otherwise, I'm pretty sure this car was not built at the Pontiac Plant.

Maybe South Gate, this Plant was still using the old format in '62 and Fisher-South Gate coded the Olds Data Plates with such codes where they affected the Body Assembly. SY on the Data Plate or not may help narrow the search.

I'm leaning to a connection to the Front Console.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Default more on codes

Good afternoon John V, Thanks for all the info. Finally got out in the garage today & got the info off the data plate. I think you're refering to the small plate attached to the cowl just in front of the driver's side winshield. Not much on there but here's what it list's:
o4A
style 62-2947 body BA 1963
trim 289-1 paint A1A
ACC FRQXN 1
That's it. Not much more than we already knew. In a previous post I mentioned what all the code's translated to in Pontiac term's. Not sure if Olds used the same code's though. I did look again at the second J code & suspect it's the automatic tranny. That letter is listed on the very top line of the PHS sheet. The J1 doesn't show up on the build sheet. I checked it out very closely & there's no number one beside the J code. The repro price sticker I have does use the number code's rather than the letter's as the PHS document does. Apparently '62 was a cross over year using both letter & number code's. All very confusing.
The car was built in Doraville, Ga. on March 26. 1962 & sold by Taber Pontiac of Atlanta but have no idea when. That dealership has been out of business for at least 20 year's. Tried to contact anyone involved with Tabor by actually writing letter's & making phone call's to anyone with the name Taber in the Atlanta area but no success there. I have a friend in that area that sent me a phone book page. At the time there were 86 people with the name Taber in the area. Got reponse's from 6. Even sent a SASE along for a reponse. Not too good on the return's.
The radio is the typical AM push button, (not a wonderbar) with no rear seat speaker. Leave's that out too. It does have the vanity mirror.
I believe the tach was standard on all Pontiac's in '62. To my knowledge, the vacum gauge wasn't an option until '63 & then the tach was moved to the dash left of the steering wheel. The advertising I have state's the tach is included & no other option available. Was also standard on the GP.
The car does NOT have the following:
power seat
safegard speedo or low fuel warning
floor mat's(at least from the factory)
head light control
It does have white wall's.
As you can see the code SY is a real stumper. I've been trying to figure it out for year's without success. If Taber was still in business maybe that would be different. Do you know of any old time Pontiac dealership that may still have the code book?
I'm sure some of the option's on this car are part of a package too but they are called out as seperate item's on the build sheet & the PHS document as well.
Let's go another step further. I'll send along the info from the repro price sticker I ordered several year's ago. Maybe this will help:
cordova top(no code listed)
392 radio-elec-ant.-super deluxe
421 washer-winshield
431 air-cleaner-hd
441 mirror-visor vanity
442 mirror-inside non-glare tilt
444 mirror-outside remote control
471 lamp's back up
481 lamp-utility
482 lamp-glove box
484 lamp-dome-reading
491 lamps-courtesy
492 lamps-ash tray & cig lighter
494 lamp-parking brake
501 pwr-strng-wdr touch
502 pwr brks-wdr touch
531 glass-soft-ray-all
551 pow win lifts-4-way
581 air cond-circ-l-aire
18J hydramatic trans
691 differ-saf-t-track
694 whls,drums,hubs-alum
T32 wsw 850X14 4 ply ray
Just a foot note; the 8 lug wheel option was $107.50!!!! can you believe that? Can't even buy the trim ring's for that today.
The car has the "slim jim" tranny but I think it's been replaced at one time. There are four different one's & this is the heavy dutty designed for police & ambulance. A normal GP wouldn't have had that option installed since it's got 14" wheel's & not the heavy duty 15". Lot's of additional info for more thought. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have sent you an email thru PY. It might be easier to continue this discussion by email.

I do believe I have figured out your SY code. To keep you in suspense, more on that in a minute.

I'm sure there was some transitioning of code formats. Chevy had been using a 3 digit Sales Code for ordering at least as far back as '61. Olds was still using the 1 or 2 character alpha/numeric Code system for ordering in '62.

Pontiac also was using a similar 3 digit numeric Option ordering system as Chevy at least as early as '61. The numeric codes for a given option were different between the two Divisions, '64 Tempests built at Chevy Plants in KC & Balt. were translated from the Pontiac Sales Codes to the Chevy Sales Codes for the build order. Even PHS doesn't yet know how to translate the Chevy docs for these builds.

Doraville was a B-O-P controlled Plant, but Chevys were also built there at least in '64 (model production shifted from Plant to Plant as GM needed). Oldsmobiles for sure were being built at Doraville in '62.

In '64, Doraville used GMs UPC system for identifying Options on the Manifest. The UPC system was also used by the B-O-P Plant at Fremont in '64.

But in '62, Doraville continued to Code the older style 1 & 2 alpha/numeric Option codes, but the Manifests actually translated these Order codes to a 3 digit numeric code. Oldsmobile had their own set of 3 digit codes, Pontiac theirs.

I have yet to find the '62 Pontiac numeric Codes. Fortunately, they appear little, if at all, changed from '64 which I do have. That helps.

The layout of the Doraville Manifest is pretty straightforward. It is even easier to translate than the '62 Manifest used at the Pontiac Plant. At the Pontiac Plant, each numbered Box had just one spot for a Code. As many as 3 Options were coded in a single Box (a 4th option would have meant the possibility of a double digit code in the Box which Pontiac intentionally avoided).

At Doraville, each Option had its own Code Box. For example, Option Codes 481, 482, and 484 are all individually coded on your Doraville Manifest. And each Code is identified in words and the corresponding old format code for that option is also identified. If the code numeral is typed in the box for that option, the car was built with it. No brainer.

But at the Pontiac Plant, there is only one Box labeled 48. There is no verbiage associated with the Box and there is no old style code associated with the Box.

If the Box is Blank, the car had none of the 3 Lamp otions. If there was a "1" in the Box, the car was built with only the Luggage & Utility Lamp.

If it had a "2" in the Box, it was built with only the Glove Box Lamp. A "4" meant it had only the Dome & Reading Lamp.

In order to code combinations of these 3 options, the codes were additive. A "3" meant you got "1" & "2". A "5" meant you got "1" & "4". A "6" meant you got "2" & "4". A "7" meant you got all 3 options.

The basic Doraville Manifest was organized with the Options that were listed on the Regular big Pontiac Order Form.

But you could also specify some special things such as an Axle Ratio preference or a Special Paint Color.

Now I can't tell you exactly how this was done in '62, but I assume it was the same as was done in '64.

These things would be ordered by handwritten instructions in a Special Instructions Box for that purpose on a separate Form called the "All Series Special Equipment Order" form. There was most likely a check off box on the Regular Order Form that indicated that a Special Equipment Order was included.

The ASSE Order Form didn't just allow you to specify axle ratios and special paint colors.

On this Form was a long list of Special Equipment Options, each with their own 3 digit numeric Order Code and presumably each that could be translated to the older alpha/numeric code format.

Some of the available Special Equipment Options included special Group options like Trailer Group option, Taxi Group option, and Police Group option.

Individual Special Equipment Options included HD Radiator, HD Frame, HD Alternator, special Tire Options, and Special Engine Options such as the Economy Engine Option.

The oldest example of an ASSE Order Form that exists to my knowledge is the '65 Form. In '65, you could order a Heavy Duty Hydramatic for any big Pontiac. '65 was the first year for the TH-400 as the std. Auto Trans option for the big Pontiac (the Super Hydramatic for the long wheelbase or the Roto Hydramatic for the short wheelbase models were discontinued). So I don't know what the HD Hydramatic got you in '65.

I mention it because you stated your Roto Hydramatic is a HD version. It is possible that this was offered as a Special Equipment option in '62.

These Special Equipment Options were coded in the open space at the end of the second line on the Doraville Manifests, where you indicate SY is typed on your Manifest.

And below it typed 60.

That is not unrelated.

What that is telling you is that the Special Equipment Option that is identified by SY was given a numeric Sales Code by Pontiac that would have been coded in Box 60.

Unfortunately, the 3rd digit is not given and of course they didn't bother to type out the full option description such as is conveniently pre-printed for all of the regular options.

I do not trust the accuracy of the repro Window Stickers. But for sake of discussion, the Window Sticker only should itemize the Extra Cost options. There would also be verbiage on the Window Sticker that says something to the effect:

"Special Accessories, Options, & Equipment that are extra cost on some models are standard on this model" followed by a list of those items. For the Grand Prix, these items include Electric Clock, Bucket Seats, etc.

But the Manifest has still identified these items.

You did not yet tell me if for instance the Bucket Seats are called out with a "2" typed in the Box for Sales Code 562, Code SZ or if perhaps there is an Asterisk "*" in that Box instead.

It makes no difference, either way, we know the car was built with Bucket Seats. But the asterisk may have been used to code the inclusion while indicating at the same time that this was not an Extra Cost option to be itemized on the Window Sticker or added to the Dealer Invoice.

If the asterisks were used (Doraville did use them to indicate standard content options on the '62 Oldsmobile Manifests), then you should find an asterisk instead of the numeral in the boxes for Sales Code 402/K Dual Speed Wipers, Sales Code 424/JX Instrument Panel Pad, Sales Code 461/H Deluxe Steering Wheel, Sales Code 464/DM Decor Moldings, Sales Code 511/LL Dual Exhaust, Sales Code 562/SZ Bucket Seats, and Sales Code 604/M Electric Clock. Perhaps also for the Code KK (unsure of the Sales Code, perhaps 412?) and possibly the Sales Code 491/HH Courtesy Lamps also. Any others?

I was apparently mistaken about the Vac Gauge usage for '62, was true in '63 for the GP. Made a wrong assumption.

In the '62 GP, the Tach was mounted to the Top Front Molding of the Floor Console and apparently used with the Man Trans and Auto Trans applications.

This is anticlimatic, but I do believe the Special Equipment Option identified on your Doraville Manifest by Code SY/60 is the Floor Console.

The Console was standard equipment in the GP, so would not have been listed as an Extra Cost option on the Window Sticker, rather as a standard content item for the Model.

The Floor Console was identified by Sales Code 601 in '64, I believe that like the other Sales Codes you have listed for '62 which match the Codes used in '64, it also would have been Code 601 in '62.

In addition, I am assuming Code 601 is NOT listed as an identified Regular option on the Doraville Manifest.

I believe the Floor Console must have been listed on the All Series Special Equipment Order form that year.

Only 3 individual options could be coded in each Box and the ones that are likely indicated as the Box 60 Options on the Manifest as preprinted would be Code 602 for the LH Outside Rearview Mirror (manual adjust type) and Code 604 for the Electric Clock.

Since your car got the Code 444 Remote Control O/S Rearview Mirror, it would not have gotten Code 602, they were obviously mutually exclusive.

And although you have not yet indicated the numeric Sales Code for the Electric Clock since it was standard equipment in the '62 GP, I am fairly confident I have the Code correct for it.

Since you have not identified an Option Code for the Console, I am fairly confident it must have been considered a Special Equipment option. And since I know it was Code 601 in '64, I am fairly confident that it is the option indicated by the SY/60 Special Equipment Option coded on your Manifest.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM

This was too good of info to let fall thru the cracks so I moved it here and am sticking it.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM

The following is the response I rec'd from John regarding this thru email.

1st part

Hi Mike,

The response to the original question evolved over time. The SY code that was handwritten along with the other alpha codes on the "Build Sheet" found in the car was the one in question.

It turned out that the Doraville Pontiac Manifest Form identifies most all of the available options for '62, by written description, alpha code, and numeric Sales Code.

These codes are laid out on the Form in a preprinted format.

To best illustrate this, I am attaching an example of the Doraville Olds Manifest for '62. Very similar to the Pontiac Form, except the listed options are all different.

What you will see on this Form is all of the preprinted Options. If the Option is chosen, the code Box is Marked. For example, this car had the Oldsmobile Sales Code 431, alpha code G, Windshield Washer option, so a 1 was marked in the appropriate ****e for the Box 43 options to indicate this option was included.

If the option was included, but was standard content, instead of the numeral being marked in the Box, an "*" was marked instead. As example this car was a Station Wagon and the Electric Rear Window was standard content for this particular model, so an asterisk is marked in the appropriate ****e in Box 65 (whereas a 1 would have been marked if it was not standard content).

On the Olds Form, you will see a typed Q1, and under that 51. Q1 was the code for the Special Duty Engine Cooling Option for the '62 Olds, and apparently it had a Sales Code of 51 something.

This option was not preprinted on the Manifest Form, just added at the tail end. This car did not get this option, so there is no code marked under it.

The Pontiac Form had a wider open ****e at the end of that line, had codes starting from SY/60 and 6 more on that line. Each alpha Code showing the 2 digit numeric code to identify the Box where the option would otherwise have been coded. The 2 digit Box no. comprising the 1st 2 digits of 3 digit numeric Sales Code.

In addition, on the Pontiac Manifest Form there were 9 more listed out in the ****e below that is labeled Special Instructions.

Each of these 16 codes identified some Additional option that could have been ordered or included in the build that was not a "preprinted" option choice. Apparently, then, each manifest had these typed codes listed whether or not any of them were ordered.

If the option was actually included, under the code it would be marked accordingly.

In the case of the GP, the only additional code marked was the SY/60. Under that code listing, an "*" was marked. Since Sales Code 601 identifies the Console option in subsequent years, and since Sales Codes were commonly carried over from year to year, plus the fact that I knew the Console was standard content for the GP and wasn't identified anywhere else on the Form as a possible option, I was certain that the SY/60 was intended to code the Console. The asterisk was expected because for this particular model (GP), the Console was std. equipment, not extra cost.

I didn't expect all of the other extra option codes and have not attempted to associate any with other possible special equipment options, but I'm confident that they are shown on the Manifest Form and would be marked if the car included any of them. This GP did not have any others marked, just the SY/60.

I also discovered that the alpha Codes were listed on the Build Sheet in order that they would be found on the Manifest. That allowed me to determine that the first "J" that John T. transcribed from his Build Sheet was actually a "JV", that corresponded to Sales Code 441, the Visor Vanity Mirror option. A stain on the Build Sheet apparently made the "V" unreadable. But the alpha Codes written on the Build Sheet followed the precise sequence that they are marked on his Manifest, so there was no doubt for this.

Here is how I related it to John T. I will excerpt as necessary, and revise for things I learned after his response.

I have pored over the '62 Doraville Manifest & Build Sheet.

I am still confident that SY/60 is most likely the Code for the Floor Console.

One thing I did resolve for you. The Build Sheet does not list two "J" codes as you thought.

The Build Sheet lists the codes in the order that the related Options are listed numerically, first listing all of the Regular options, then followed by any Options from the added list of Typed Codes.

The Manifest shows many more Typed Option Code possibilities than just the SY.

Looking at the Build Sheet, the last Code shown is SY.

If you follow the sequence of Regular Option Codes on the Build Sheet, you will see that they follow in sequence with the order that these codes would be listed in a numerical Sales Code sequence on the Manifest. The last one is SY and is "out of numerical sequence" but follows as expected by the order it is found on the Manifest.

So the 1st Regular Option your car has is Sales Code 392 which identifies the Super Deluxe Radio with Electric Antenna. Alpha code ES.

The Build Sheet is coded ES-K-KK-G-JX-FC.

That brings me to the next Regular Option that your Manifest is coded with, Sales Code 441, Visor Vanity Mirror. Alpha code JV.

This is one of the codes you showed as J. If you look at the Build Sheet, there is a stain that makes it impossible to see the "V" in the picture. Perhaps it is not even visible with the naked eye. But I am certain that this next code was actually written as JV when the Build Sheet Codes were written out.

After JV comes JJ-GZ-H-DM-F-GY-FX-FR-HH-HX

That brings me to the next Regular Option sequenced numerically on the Manifest that your car was built with, Sales Code 494, Parking Brake Lamp. Alpha code J.

Then C-L. You reported this as a combined CL code. I thought this seemed strange. From looking at the pic, I detect the same DOT between the C & L as between each other separate pair of options. Look again at it, see if you don't agree. I think it is logical that these options are noted separately.

Then LL-I-QX-SZ-QC-N-M-AB

Sales Code 694, alpha code AB, is the last Regular Option coded on the Manifest. Perfectly in order on the Build Sheet as they are found in numerical sequence from the Manifest.

Of the Regular Options, the following are coded with an asterisk (*) to indicate that they are Standard Content Items in the GP, not extra cost.

K - Dual Speed Electric Wipers (Sales Code 402, same code used in '64)
KK - Custom Foam Cushion-Rear (Sales Code 411, not used in '64)
JX - Instrument Panel Pad (Sales Code 424, same code used in '64)
H - Custom Steering Wheel (Sales Code 461, same code used in '64 except it was called the Deluxe Steering Wheel that year)
DM - Decor Moldings (Sales Code 464, same code used for Decor Moldings in '64, Decor Moldings varied depending on what Model, I assume this option was for the specific Moldings that were used with the GP, as the option is shown as Standard Content)
LL - Dual Exhaust (Sales Code 511, same code used in '64)
SZ - Bucket Seats (Sales Code 562, same code used in '64)
QC - Spare Wheel & Tire Cover (Sales Code 572, same code used in '64)
M - Electric Clock (Sales Code 604, same code used in '64).

In fact, most of the Regular Option Sales Codes used in '64 were the same as used in '62. There are some exceptions.

The Heater was standard in '64 although a Heater Delete Option was offered (Sales Code 584). Sales Code 381 was used for the 2+2 Option (Catalina only) and Sales Code 382 was used for the GTO Option (Lemans only).

Radio & Antenna Options were similar except the basic radio was Manual Tune, the Deluxe Radio was Pushbutton Tune, and an AM-FM Radio Option was also offered for the big Pontiacs only.

Instead of Custom Foam Cushion-Rear, Sales Code 411 was initially used for the Front Pair Seat Belt Option and later in the '64 Model Year when Seat Belts were made Standard Equipment on all GM cars, Sales Code 411 was assigned to the Wire Wheel Discs that had been a Dealer Accessory Package only early in the year. When Seat Belts were made Standard, Sales Code 414 was added as the Seat Belt Deletion Option.

In '64 the manual Outside Rearview Mirror was Sales Code 602. In '62, this Option was Sales Code 45?. Since the sub no. boxes are illegible almost throughout the do***ent copy, it is impossible to know if this Option was assigned Sales Code 451, 452, or 454.

There are a number of other variances, much of it because of Options being added to the '64 Option List that didn't exist in '62.

It just occurred to me that the long list of additional Option Codes on your Manifest may or may not represent Special Equipment Options.

Rather, I now think that the list on the Manifest represents Additional Options that were available but that were not coded on the preprinted Form.

And they would be marked the same as the Regular Options if they were actually installed for that Build.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM

2cnd part

In your case, we know SY was included because you have the Build Sheet.

Looking at the Manifest, there is just the slightest hint that there is a mark under the SY and in the same horizontal line as the typed numerals and asterisks for all other included options on your car.

I remain convinced that SY/60 is for the Floor Console and the Sales Code for it is 601, same Sales Code used for it in '64.

If I am correct, that faint mark under it on the Manifest is an Asterisk (*), as would be expected because this Option is Standard Content in the GP.

None of the other Additional Options have any apparent marks below them, for either the ones listed alongside SY/60 or for those Additional Options listed in the Line below.

So my assumption is that these additional Codes reflect available options (whether considered Regular or Special Equipment). It would have been expedient to have these options listed this way rather than create a new Form I suppose.

The Numeric Codes under the Alpha Codes would identify the Box no. that these Options are associated with. The Box no. would form the first two digits of the Sales Code. Some of these possible Options might be deduced from '64 Sales Codes, such as I have done for the Console.

For Example, the next Additional code after SY/60 is I?/53 (2nd character after I is illegible). It was pretty routine for Pontiac to offer Tinted Glass- All Windows. Your GP has this Option, Sales Code 531. Alpha code I. Pre-printed Option on the Manifest.

But at least as far back as '57, they offered a 2nd Option, Tinted Glass-Windshield Only.

In '64, this was Sales Code 532. If your car had been equipped with this Option instead of Tinted Glass-All Windows, then a "2" would undoubtedly have been coded under the typed I?/53. The Box 53 EZI-Glass Option would have been blank. Your Build Sheet would not have had the "I" coded between the LL & QX. Instead, the "I?" code would have followed the SY on the Build Sheet.

I won't claim that I can determine the correlation of each of these Additional Options, but I suspect that with additional research, some correlations would be obvious.

I have figured out the description of each Pre-Printed Option on the Manifest. Some of the more difficult that we have unraveled are:

Box 59, Code CC is MAGI-CRUISE CONTROL
Box 59, Code X is "GUIDE-MATIC H/L"
Box 60, Code GR "ENGINE CRANKCASE VENT
Box 60, Code M is "ELECT. CLOCK"
Box 61, no Alpha Code, might be "SAFEGRD SPDO & FUEL LAMP KILO", the Export version of the Safeguard Speedometer Option.

Mike, I edited some things based on things we figured out after I sent this to John T. I also removed comments not related to the decode.

What follows are some things that were posted at PY that may also be useful to others and remained valid. Again, edit where necessary.

These codes are obviously the old alpha Accessory Code format, at least thru '58, the Accessorizer listed the options according to these 1 & 2 character codes. I'm sure some of them were coded the same in '62 as they had been in '58. These alpha Codes did not appear in the '62 Accessorizer, nor were the numeric Sales Codes indicated. But since both appear on the Doraville Pontiac Manifest Form, it is easy to decipher the Build Sheet codes from what is found on the Manifest.

Some of these alpha Codes are also found in the Doraville Body Data Plate, but not enough to be useful for a complete decode of the Build Sheet.

Sales Code 411, alpha Code KK is shown on the Manifest as being the Rear Seat Foam Cushion option. It is not clear if this was truly extra foam cushion in the Rear Seat. It is indicated by asterisk to be standard content for the GP Model. In all likelihood, this designated the Fold Down Rear Armrest seat configuration that was part of the standard GP seat configuration rather than extra foam cushion.

Front Seat Foam Cushion was a Pontiac option in '62 but only provided for the full bench seat. Not applicable to Bucket Seats and was not coded for the GP with Bucket Seats.

According to the Manifest, Sales Code 392, alpha Code ES identifies the Super Deluxe Pushbutton AM Radio with Electric Antenna. The GP included the Rear Seat Speaker Grille, but did not automatically include the Rear Seat Speaker. This GP did not have the Rear Seat Speaker option.

I suspect this car was optioned with some of the Accessory Group options.

The Super Deluxe Radio was part of the Basic Group option package.

I don't know the entire make-up of the Basic Group option package, but I suspect your GP was ordered with it.

This GP has the Visor Vanity Mirror, the Remote O/S Mirror, & the Tilting Non-Glare Inside Mirror. These 3 options comprised the Mirror Group option package.

You also have all of the individual options that comprised the Lamp Group option package, so likely the Lamp Group was ordered.

The '62 GP came standard with the Center Console and Console Mounted Tach (Auto Trans and Man Trans).

Mike, I think what follows was the most interesting info I posted at PY, but it was not completely accurate. I will cut out what was determined to be untrue and leave as much of it as possible.

You can then post as much of this entire story as you see fit. Hope it helps somebody else.

I do believe I have figured out your SY code. To keep you in suspense, more on that in a minute.

I'm sure there was some transitioning of code formats. Chevy had been using a 3 digit Sales Code for ordering at least as far back as '61. Olds was still using the 1 or 2 character alpha/numeric Code system for ordering in '62.

Pontiac also was using a similar 3 digit numeric Option ordering system as Chevy at least as early as '61. The numeric codes for a given option were different between the two Divisions, '64 Tempests built at Chevy Plants in KC & Balt. were translated from the Pontiac Sales Codes to the Chevy Sales Codes for the build order. Even PHS doesn't yet know how to translate the Chevy docs for these builds.

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM

3rd part

Doraville was a B-O-P controlled Plant, but Chevys were also built there at least in '64 (model production shifted from Plant to Plant as GM needed). Oldsmobiles for sure were being built at Doraville in '62.

In '64, Doraville used GMs UPC system for identifying Options on the Manifest. The UPC system was also used by the B-O-P Plant at Fremont in '64.

But in '62, Doraville continued to Code the older style 1 & 2 alpha/numeric Option codes, but the Manifests actually translated these Order codes to a 3 digit numeric code. Oldsmobile had their own set of 3 digit codes, Pontiac theirs.

I have yet to find the '62 Pontiac numeric Codes in any reference. Fortunately, they appear on the Manifest to be little changed from '64 which I do have. That helps.

The layout of the Doraville Manifest is pretty straightforward. It is even easier to translate than the '62 Manifest used at the Pontiac Plant. At the Pontiac Plant, each numbered Box had just one spot for a Code. As many as 3 Options were coded in a single Box (a 4th option would have meant the possibility of a double digit code in the Box which Pontiac intentionally avoided).

At Doraville, each Option had its own Code Box. For example, Option Codes 481, 482, and 484 are all individually coded on your Doraville Manifest. And each Code is identified in words and the corresponding old format alpha code for that option is also identified. If the code numeral is typed in the box for that option, the car was built with it. No brainer.

But at the Pontiac Plant, there is only one Box labeled 48. There is no verbiage associated with the Box and there is no old style alpha Code associated with the Box.

If the Box is Blank, the car had none of the 3 Lamp options. If there was a "1" in the Box, the car was built with only the Luggage & Utility Lamp.

If it had a "2" in the Box, it was built with only the Glove Box Lamp. A "4" meant it had only the Dome & Reading Lamp.

In order to code combinations of these 3 options, the codes were additive. A "3" meant you got "1" & "2". A "5" meant you got "1" & "4". A "6" meant you got "2" & "4". A "7" meant you got all 3 options.

The basic Doraville Manifest was organized with the Options that were listed on the Regular big Pontiac Order Form.

But you could also specify some special things such as an Axle Ratio preference or a Special Paint Color.

Now I can't tell you exactly how this was done in '62, but I assume it was done in a similar way to how it was done in '64.

In '64, these things would be ordered by handwritten instructions in a Special Instructions Box for that purpose on a separate Form called the "All Series Special Equipment Order" form. There was most likely a check off box on the Regular Order Form that indicated that a Special Equipment Order was included.

The ASSE Order Form didn't just allow you to specify axle ratios and special paint colors.

On this Form was a long list of Special Equipment Options, each with their own 3 digit numeric Order Code and presumably each that could be translated to the older alpha/numeric code format.

Some of the available Special Equipment Options included special Group options like Trailer Group option, Taxi Group option, and Police Group option.

Individual Special Equipment Options included HD Radiator, HD Frame, HD Alternator, special Tire Options, and Special Engine Options such as the Economy Engine Option.

The oldest example of an ASSE Order Form that exists to my knowledge is the '65 Form.

In '62, a whole string of Additional Options were coded in the open ****e at the end of the second line on the Doraville Manifests, where SY is typed on your Manifest. Whether these were considered Special Equipment Options or just were regular options for which there was no place for in the pre-printed portion of the Manifest, I do not know.

Where you see the SY, you find 60 typed below it. Same thing for all the other additional Codes found on the Doraville Manifest.

The numeric code is not unrelated.

What that is telling you is that the Equipment Option that is identified by SY was given a numeric Sales Code by Pontiac that would have been coded in Box 60.

Unfortunately, the 3rd digit is not given and of course they didn't bother to type out the full option description such as is conveniently pre-printed for all of the regular options.

On the Window Sticker you would find verbiage something to the effect that "Equipment & Options that are extra cost on some models are standard on this model" followed by a list of those items. For the Grand Prix, these items include Electric Clock, Bucket Seats, etc.

Even though these items are not extra cost, the Manifest has still identified them.

For instance the Bucket Seats are called out with an "*" typed in the Box for Sales Code 562, Code SZ in that Box instead of a "2" for a Model where Bucket Seats were an extra cost option.

The asterisk was used to code the inclusion while indicating at the same time that this was not an Extra Cost option to be itemized on the Window Sticker or added to the Dealer Invoice.

Doraville used the asterisks to indicate standard content options on the '62, consequently the GP shows asterisks for Sales Code 402/K Dual Speed Wipers, Sales Code 411/KK Rear Foam Cushion (most likely indicating the Rear Arm Rest), Sales Code 424/JX Instrument Panel Pad, Sales Code 461/H Deluxe Steering Wheel, Sales Code 464/DM Decor Moldings, Sales Code 511/LL Dual Exhaust, Sales Code 562/SZ Bucket Seats, Sales Code 572/QC Spare Wheel & Tire Cover, and Sales Code 604/M Electric Clock. And of course, Sales Code 601/SY Floor Console with Tach that was the subject of the study.

In the '62 GP, the Tach was mounted to the Top Front Molding of the Floor Console and apparently used with the Man Trans and Auto Trans applications.

This is anticlimatic, but I do believe the Equipment Option identified on your Doraville Manifest by Code SY/60 is the Floor Console.

The Console was standard equipment in the GP, so would not have been listed as an Extra Cost option on the Window Sticker, rather as a standard content item for the Model.

The Floor Console was identified by Sales Code 601 in '64, I believe that like the other Sales Codes you have listed for '62 which match the Codes used in '64, it also would have been Code 601 in '62.

The Console is NOT listed as an identified pre-printed option on the Doraville Manifest.

I am fairly confident it must have been considered a Special Equipment option. And since I know it was Code 601 in '64, I am fairly confident that it is the option indicated by the SY/60 Special Equipment Option coded on your Manifest.

That's it, hopefully accurate.

Best regards,
John V.

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Have the assembly line workers always stuffed a buildsheet somewhere in the car ?
I have always wondered if I should look in my '63. Found one in all my '70's and my '78.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It was not a requirement; in many cases it was just easier to stuff the build sheet somewhere (or simply leave it) than it was to throw it in the trash can.

That's why there is no "official" place to find them and why you occasionally find them stuck under bolts, wadded up in the dash, stuffed in the seats, build sheet for the wrong car, etc.

To get at your question more specifically, what plant was the car built at?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Pontiac Mi , I do believe.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Exclamation Build sheet location

My build sheet was glued to the inside of the rear driver's side arm rest. Just happened to discover it by accident when I removed the uphosterly to clean up everything. It was heavily glued in place & tried to remove it but decided to leave it there after it started to tear apart. Took some picture's & will make do with them rather than destroy it trying to remove it. Something in place is better than a piece of paper that's unreadable.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese country GP View Post
My build sheet was glued to the inside of the rear driver's side arm rest. Just happened to discover it by accident when I removed the uphosterly to clean up everything. It was heavily glued in place & tried to remove it but decided to leave it there after it started to tear apart. Took some picture's & will make do with them rather than destroy it trying to remove it. Something in place is better than a piece of paper that's unreadable.

That's a new one on me, so that's good to know -

The only place I've found one (so far, on any of my cars) was on top of the gas tank of my Pontiac built '65.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've also found assembly plant manifest sheets glued to the inside of door panels. This says to me that at at least some assembly complexes the GMAD plant manifest was broadcast into the Fisher facility. There is no other way that an assembly manifest could get attached to the inside of a door panel since the doors were built up and installed in Fisher. This must have been done to insure build continuity coordination between the two plants.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:23 PM

Is there a way to figure out the dealer it was ordered and delivered to ?

1962 Catalina 421 Tripower 4-speed "Red"
1962 Grand Prix 389 Tripower 4-speed "White"
1962 Corvette 402hp 350 4-speed
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's not here:

Dealer Codes

Then probably no.
You could order PHS and a window sticker from Mike Noun and possibly get it?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 PM

Smile Dealer

This series of info was started by me & the car was sold thru Tabor Pontiac on Peachtree in Atlanta, Ga.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:20 PM

I have the PHS and will see if I can figure it out. I know it was delivered to TN and was born in Pontiac MI

1962 Catalina 421 Tripower 4-speed "Red"
1962 Grand Prix 389 Tripower 4-speed "White"
1962 Corvette 402hp 350 4-speed
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coupe62, post the PHS.

Probably we could figure it out.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates