Old 06-09-2022, 04:33 PM

Default '66 tripower idling too low

Hi all,
My car has a 67 400 with a 66 tripower and a Nunzi RA IV cam. (4speed car) It idles a little lumpy for the street, but I've had this setup for years and it's always worked fine. Lately, after warmup, I've been having a very low idle - to the point where the car will stall if I don't keep tapping the throttle when I'm at stoplight. The idle screw is turned all the way in, and it's still too low. I've turned the distributor until it idled a little better and adjusted the mixture screws (all by ear, sorry) and checked for vacuum leaks.
Any suggestions on what it may be?
Thanks

Old 06-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally would Try blowing out the idle mixture screws 1st. Also make sure plugs and wires are good

Old 06-10-2022, 10:19 AM

I'll check it out, thanks

Old 06-11-2022, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A ''66 Tri-Power with a RAIV cam should, in my opinion, have holes in the center carb throttle plates to improve the idle quality. But, if indeed your car ran well earlier on, my suggestion does not make sense.

The idle tubes with that cam should be .042", idle bypass at .052", throttle mixture screw holes in the base at ..078". The power valve spring needs four turns cut off the spring to ensure that the power valve is not being held open at idle with inadequate vacuum.

PM me if you need more specific help. It's possible that someone has already treaked the idle circuit, but your symptoms suggest otherwise.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-13-2022, 03:38 PM

Dick Boneske,
These are some excellent suggestions, thank you very much. I will PM, have a couple of questions about it.