Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-25-2022, 02:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Air ride in a 1933 Pontiac

I'm in need of some advice.
I just purchased someone else's abandoned street rod project - a 1933 Pontiac
2-door sedan. The chassis is completed, with airbags and plumbing installed, but no mechanicals.
First, I need a recommendation as to which system I should buy.
This car has little free space, so I am wondering if it is feasible to install the pump and tank under the rear seat cushion. Will there be issues with heat build-up or noise in the interior?
I'm also thinking of placing the battery under the seat. Bad idea?
I'm new at this whole street rod thing (have done several stock car restorations), so forgive any stupid questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	593300  

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com
Old 06-25-2022, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you ask the previous owner what his plan was?
Honestly, I would inquire over on the H.A.M.B. since there’s more street rod stuff happening there. As far as I know, Pontiac and Chevrolet shared the same basic body in 1933 so someone with a ‘33 Chevy could probably help you out.
Unless it’s really not an option, I would convert it to a standard suspension. Check out Brookville, Pete & Jakes or other street rod companies. They sell tons of chassis stuff.
Good luck and be sure to post up updates, it’ll be awesome when it’s done!

Old 06-25-2022, 03:34 PM

I’d contact some shops that are familiar with air bag installations and ask about your compressor heat and noise concerns.

A battery under the back seat was standard issue on millions of VW beetles, just put it inside a marine battery box or put some kind of top on it so the seat springs can’t short it out.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 2000 Bonni had the battery under the back seat. It had a vent tube that went through the floor to vent any gases

Old 06-26-2022, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're going to get some noise with the compressor in the interior, but as you're driving the car the compressor has no occasion to run. Only when you fill the bags will the compressor run, so plan accordingly. It would be ideal to have the compressor outside the passenger compartment, but space will dictate where it ends up. The tank could still be in the interior, and the compressor could be mounted outside.

I have built my own 4 link air ride system for my K3500 dually, driving tractor trailer was the inspiration for building one in my truck. The ride is so much better that a steel suspension is, and I can easily haul way over a ton with the air ride. My bags are 5200 lbs per pair, so they'll carry over twice the payload the truck is rated for.

I'm a fan of air ride. A one ton dually rides pretty harshly when it's empty, I just adjust the air pressure to what's in the bed, plus I can adjust the height up, or down 6 inches. If I have to reach into the bed I can drop it all the way down, then just air it back up to drive it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated