Old 07-12-2022, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1967 instrument cluster wood grain vinyl decal fit and finish question

I've owned my GTO for 35 years and I've replaced the instrument cluster wood grain decal twice. The instrument cluster chrome is worn out, but otherwise the cluster is in great shape. Each time I have replaced the decal only, the decal backer has never been taken off the cluster.

Each time, after a short while, the decal shrinks and I see gaps all around the edges of the pods, and the outer edges, etc...the color of the backer is a light brown and it gets exposed. It looks terrible. The last time I replaced the decal the brand was something that started with an "R" in the name. (sourced from AMES)

I am thinking about winter projects, and I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole cluster with a new one. With nice "chrome". A backer with a new wood grained "decal" is sold to fit the reproduction cluster. But the question I have is will it shrink too?

How do folks have beautiful clusters that last? Any first hand tips on the best parts available?

(P.S. I don't want to put in real wood unless there is no hope for the "decal" stuff)

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-21-2022, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The decal kit you remember with “R” was most likely made by REM.
I prefer the more expensive kit with the wood veneer on the metal backing. The veneer is unfinished and needs to be stained but you get perfect results and no shrinkage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2447498-1C62-4AA7-9F0E-AC522220E0FB.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	596955  

Old 08-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Red,
Thanks for the pic.

Yes, that was it, REM is the manufacturer of the "wood" vinyl I used. Not happy with the shrinkage. Maybe shrank back almost 1/8" in some sections. I'm sure it's the vinyl substrate. Low end material? Cheap? Whatever they used, it's not good.

I was hoping to avoid using actual veneer because I worry it would look too dissimilar to the original console wood vinyl (that is still in excellent condition). However, I may take a shot at real wood particularly since yours looks so good.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of the replacement vinyl kits still sealed in the package that has shrunk. I ended up having to buy one with the backing.