Old 08-23-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Question about rocker moldings 1967 GTO

Do the front fenders (at the front of the rear section closest to the wheel well) jut out slightly or are they straight in line with the rocker panels? In other words, if you ran a straight edge along the rocker panel from under the doors forward...all the way past the lower rear section of the front fender, would that straight edge be in line with the whole rear section of the fender?

I'm welding in patch panels and they do not seem to align with the rocker when trial fitting (without inner fenders attached). Almost like they were designed that way to accommodate a flared out rocker molding. If no one knows for sure I will trial fit the rocker molding before final welding but would rather know for sure because original moldings tend to get bent during removal (in the front where the GTO emblem is located).

Old 08-23-2022, 06:30 PM

Rocker moldings should not flare out at the front fender. From all my research and reading here on this forum and elsewhere several things affect how the rocker moldings fit, including the inner wheel fenders. Also the radiator core support shims factor in on how the fender aligns and can affect the rocker molding fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_164140.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	597098  

The Following User Says Thank You to jhnichols2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He ^^^ is exactly correct.

The rocker molding on All 64-67 are straight just as the body is.

Nice photo BTW.
Looks like the early style moulding as I can see a mounting screw.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnichols2 View Post
Rocker moldings should not flare out at the front fender. From all my research and reading here on this forum and elsewhere several things affect how the rocker moldings fit, including the inner wheel fenders. Also the radiator core support shims factor in on how the fender aligns and can affect the rocker molding fit.
Thank you for the information and great photo of that exact area!

The repro patch panels are not easy to install correctly. The body line has to be absolutely perfect...not even 1/32" off on one side or the other. Plus, the body lines on repro panels are not as crisp as originals.

Word to the wise...If you are attempting to patch that section of the front fender for the first time, try to keep the original body line intact (unless completely rotted through), then only patch the lower section below that crease. That way you know the door's body lines will align with the fender as well as the factory original did.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Looks like the early style moulding as I can see a mounting screw.
Good eye. But I'm pretty sure you know that's 2nd design.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 02:36 PM
Senior Chief

Default 2nd design

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Good eye. But I'm pretty sure you know that's 2nd design.

absolutely second design rocker molding

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
The Following User Says Thank You to gassman_67 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, my bad.

The first design is a PITA style.
The second design is much more user friendly.

Thanks guys!

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post: