Old 08-26-2022, 07:02 PM

Default 65 GTO console

I have a 65 GTO it's a manual car original shifter can anyone show me if the console lines up straight at the top meaning the area that goes under the dash my doesn't look even it looks like it's tilted to one side if anyone have pics of there console it will help.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:21 PM

65 GTO manual with console. Yes mine is even/flat across the top. The correct/original bracket doesn't necessarily line up symmetrically on the top of the hump, so if someone changed something/added a console/did a repair it may have the two screw holes (for the two screws through the front of the console) misaligned for your console screws to go in while "flat".

I just made sure it was level, it was properly aligned with the shifter "shed", the shifter could be moved through full range of travel, and the console sat down as flush/flat (as much as possible) all around the perimeter on the carpet before tapping and screwing the perimeter screws in.

My car was originally a console car, was refurbished without a console, and last year I installed a NOS base+reproduction top pieces plus fabbed a new wiring harness for the courtesy and console compartment lights.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree that the mounting bracket is likely the culprit here. The console should be flat across the top and not pitched to one side or the other. The mounting bracket is offset (i.e., asymmetrical), so it's very possible that someone installed it backwards and then attached the console to it, causing the console to lean.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-30-2022, 09:30 PM

Remove the two screws at the the front of the console and see if moves into the correct position. By design it will find its location and should sit directly over the shifter porch. You can also remove the (2) two screws on each side as well if it’s difficult to move. Leading edge of the console should be parallel with the heater vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E377528-24C7-457D-A840-EA1DBE53DCD0.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	597537   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD1925EE-6A1D-45BF-B47D-774DEC9DF46E.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	597538  

Old 08-31-2022, 08:20 AM

Perfect pictures, and thanks for “porch” instead of “shed”, I knew I was wrong but at least I was close!