Old 08-24-2022, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Stock radio speaker sizes...1961

Does anybody know the stock speaker sizes on a 61 4dr.......dash and rear deck....?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2022, 12:34 AM

Does this offer any help?

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ntiac-catalina

Old 08-30-2022, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have that exact speaker in my 62 Catalina in the front. It was a direct bolt in for the front. BUT IMPORTANT: my stock AM radio was converted to AM/FM with AUX for satelite radio and specifically was compatible with 8 OHM speakers. Almost certain stock radio speaker was 10 OHM. So make sure it won't harm your radio if a lower 8 Ohm speaker is used. BTW, sound quality of this speaker is slightly better than stock. A little cleaner highs. Nothing dramatic, that's for sure. I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shop manual does say front is 4x10 but doesn't give ohms. Rear, if I had to guess, I would say 6x9, but the manual does not give a size for it.

After I had my radio converted to AM/FM with aux plug and stereo I found the dual coil front speaker I tried to install had a magnet that was too large to allow the radio to mount under it. Even shaving off a little of the soft material around the speaker coil did not help. Had to go to Plan B and mount dual speakers.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input...

The hole in the rear shelf looks to be 6x9.....

Does radio have to come out to remove front speaker?

Old 09-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glove box first. Then radio. Then speaker. Then straighten out your back so you can crawl out of the car.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
Glove box first. Then radio. Then speaker. Then straighten out your back so you can crawl out of the car.
My back hurts already.....just thinking about it..

Old 09-05-2022, 03:27 PM

OEM speakers were 10 ohm. As mentioned a true 8 ohm speaker will work OK with the original radio, but you have to be careful since many aftermarket speakers these days are marked '4 to 8 ohm' but are actually closer to 4 ohms than 8.

Removing the stock radio isn't as hard as it may seem, once you remove the glove box you have pretty decent access through the glove box door. If I recall correctly there's just a single mounting bracket on the back side of the radio, and then you take off the knobs and loosen the retaining nuts on the volume and tuning shafts.