Old 09-05-2022, 01:00 PM

Unhappy 65 AM/FM radio wiring with front/rear speaker switch?

Help! I bought an original working front/rear speaker switch, replacement 10 ohm front and rear speakers (vendor name upon request), and am having my 7294342 Pontiac push-button AM/FM radio refurbed w/Bluetooth added (vendor name upon request). So in theory I should soon be all set.

But, I have reviewed many diagrams and photos and posts and I still can't quite work out exactly what should connect to where; I'm thinking I may have some incorrect/mismatched connectors at this point?

Here are my pix of the radio rear connector, front/rear fader switch and its connectors (with black/white stripe = rear speaker wire?, and the 3-pin connector with brown and green wires have the two connectors offset in depth?), front speaker connector from speaker (green wire), radio power connector from harness (yellow wire), and an accessory wiring diagram.

From these pix, can anybody tell me for sure what goes where? It doesn't seem like the three-pin switch connector will plug into the back of this radio (or if it does, it doesn't seem like the yellow power wire will plug into the other three-pin connector that "clips" on the side of the radio). And then if so, the diagram I have talks about a light blue wire but I don't have any on any of these wires/connectors. I've got myself spinning in circles and feel like I may have some mismatched connectors or am looking at the wrong diagrams online.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom.Radio.SideConnector.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	597892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom.FaderSwitch.Connectors.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	597893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom.FrontSpeakerConnector.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	597894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom.PowerConnector.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	597895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom.ReferenceRadioWiringDiagram.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	597896  

Old 09-05-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This may help...

Old 09-06-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Jeff, yes that is the same page/diagram that I pulled my fifth image from, as I was focusing on the AM/FM radio connection only. But there are a few discrepancies (for the AM/FM radio diagram only):

1) there is the connector wire that appears to run to the front speaker, this doesn't match my connector as I have only a metal clip; it looks like I need a three-hole connector with the front speaker wire running to the middle hole (this diagram makes it look like it runs from the right-hand hole). So I likely need a new three-hole connector with the left slot wider than the others to slide the yellow power wire connector into. My front speaker wire is green (neither diagram calls out the front speaker wire color).

2) They say one wire is light blue that runs to the fader switch; my switch has a black with green stripe wire in that position.

3) They say one wire is green dark that runs to the fader switch; my switch has a light green wire in that position.

And they do provide a clue as to your first step when describing what to do when working on an AM radio ("remove front "speaker connector" with main wire harness connector"). I don't have that connector, so I need to track one down. This has been throwing me off.

Does anybody know where to get these three-pin connectors with one "bumped out" to receive the main harness yellow power wire connector? I don't have any spares and this shows I'm missing one.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrandyb View Post
and am having my 7294342 Pontiac push-button AM/FM radio refurbed w/Bluetooth added (vendor name upon request).
Is this one of those refurbishments where they replace the entire internals of the radio with new? If so the output wiring may be different than what was used originally. The company doing the work may be the best people to ask.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Is this one of those refurbishments where they replace the entire internals of the radio with new? If so the output wiring may be different than what was used originally. The company doing the work may be the best people to ask.
Thanks Stuart, he is not replacing all with new, just making sure everything works and is tuned up correctly, then also adding a Bluetooth circuit that cuts in when you press the right hand station preset button. So the two external connections in the "three-pin connector" (12V power and speaker) stay the same. These radios don't use a ground wire, they are just grounded by installation.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:26 PM

Well, as Jeff's pic of the diagram on page 15-8 shows, there is one wire coming into the AM/FM radio picture from upper right and going down into a 3-pin connector (and looks to be in the wrong position, it should be in the center connector); that is the unmarked/no color-called-out front speaker wire. As shown in my photos below, my front speaker green wire just has the metal connector, which I assume was pulled out of the correct 3-pin connector that would have a wider slot to plug the yellow power wire into (maybe they just shoved into rear radio speaker pin slot).

So, I found a correct front speaker wire with connector online here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112385775172

All I have to do is snip the end of the green wire and then solder it to the front speaker connector (which I believe is factory correct?), or I can crimp on a slide-on clip, and then my entire radio wiring harness routing will make sense (colors don't match references but the circuit will be correct). Strange that Ames doesn't sell a front speaker connector+wire like this.