Old 09-08-2022, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jay Leno's Garage '64 GTO

This may have been posted here before. But pretty cool video of a '64 GTO convertible. I was shocked to see Jay comment about the dual master cylinder in '64 and the guy says "right". WTF? The car is supposed to be a low mileage original restored car. But I enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBlUXG6IYGQ

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 08:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Muncie in the Corvette was called the "rock crusher"? Only the M22 was considered the rock crusher and M20s and M21s were much, much more common.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
The Muncie in the Corvette was called the "rock crusher"? Only the M22 was considered the rock crusher and M20s and M21s were much, much more common.
I caught that too. Forgot to include that. I'm not the best technical expert. But it amazes me at some of the inaccuracies that are in some videos.

This is a cool '64. I know I shouldn't post it here because it's a restomod. But these guys don't have a clue about some things. They admit it though. Lol! The guy guy states that it would have had a 4-speed or a 3-speed automatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBlUXG6IYGQ

Old 09-08-2022, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No disrespect to Jay Leno but he is a very wealthy automotive generalist. He is not a Pontiac expert or a GM expert and doesn't pretend to be. He has a very broad based knowledge of many, many different car makes and brands, some I have never heard of. He may be a true expert in some models, like old steam engine cars. With his kind of money and the respect that seems to come with it, interviewers may be a little intimidated whenever he makes a statement and don't want to challenge anything he says. That may be out of respect or just not wanting to piss him off and be banished from his kingdom. I have no idea of his real temperament. I enjoy watching his videos and exploits like millions of others. But when it comes to Pontiacs, he repeats many of the same old stories we have heard and disproved decades ago. Like the OHC 6 sprint engine they discarded the Quadrajet carburetor on. They tossed the Q-jet in the trash can and replaced it with the far, far inferior AFB clone generic replacement from Edelbrock. Who in their right mind would do something like that? A generalist who listened to decades of Quadrajet horror stories and just wanted to throw something on the manifold that would run. Just no way to be an expert with such an eclectic collection of nearly 200 cars.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The GTO actually never raced a Ferrari in person 1n 1964. Car and Driver could not find an owner of a Ferrari willing to do it. One owner did say he would, but it rained on the scheduled day. Car and Driver printed the story anyway, and REALLY pissed off Ferrari. On the cover, it said Pontiac GTO...100MPH in 11. seconds.
Not true
That's what I remember about the story, but I am old.