Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Low Pedal help, please

I could use some ideas on my 62 Catalina. Will try to keep this short.

Converted my 62 from single master cyl to dual M/C...both power assist. Running 8 lug hubs/wheels.

With motor running I have close to 2" of pedal travel before I start getting any braking. I can stop the car OK, but would like more pedal that what I have now.

Factory manual says on P/B cars the pedal should stand 3 1/3 - 3 3/8" from the carpet. I have mine adjusted around 4" off the carpet just to have a little more braking. Manual also says to back off the star adjuster 12 notches after tightening the drums where it is "difficult to turn by hand" (not sure how much that's supposed to be, LOL).
Anyhow, that's how I have the shoes adjusted....12 notches backed off. If I tighten them any tighter to get less pedal travel, the drums get hot to touch and I've warped them once already and had to have them turned.

Using the original brake pedal which is a p/b pedal. I know manual braked used a different pedal with a different hole location for the brake rod clevis. I believe the clearance between the push rod and the master cylinder piston is OK.

So, just don't know where else to go to get less pedal travel and more brake action from this setup.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry

Old 09-22-2022, 11:29 PM

What was the verdict?

Old 09-23-2022, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the hole in the back of the new master cylinder the same depth as the hole in the one you took off? If not is the push rod in the booster that goes in the master cylinder hole adjustable?

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post: