Old 09-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 62 Catalina Hood Scoop Installation

Looks like installing a hood scoop is going to become an unfortunate reality. I like the look, the anxiety of cutting up a show quality hood isn't wonderful. Anyway, looking at 3 or 4 installations on cars for sale and others on the internet: all of them seem to have this flat hoot scoop bolted to the hood right over the feature creases in the hood. This leaves a gap under the scoop where the feature line rises. Is that correct? The scoop could probably be modified for a better fit. Also, are there any actual dimensions for where the scoop is supposed to go? Obviously, with the bathtub intake and lack of hood clearance, I will probably just need to put it were it will clear the carbs. best. Can only cut the hood once, would like to get this right if possible. Finally, I am going to install the Ford grille on my car. I know Pontiac didn't use it but I don't like the unfinished look of leaving it out. It is in factory primer now. Think I am going to paint it body color and the screen black. Opinions? Thanks. The parts are NOS in Ford boxes.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe in left field but would be what I would do.I would put thread rod in the carb just long enough to touch the hood and push down on it and cause a little dent,I would then do the same with the other carb.The two dents should give you the correct placement of the scoop.You would be cutting the dents out anyway.Good luck.Tom

Old 09-30-2022, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Maybe in left field but would be what I would do.I would put thread rod in the carb just long enough to touch the hood and push down on it and cause a little dent,I would then do the same with the other carb.The two dents should give you the correct placement of the scoop.You would be cutting the dents out anyway.Good luck.Tom
Interesting idea. A slightly different but similar idea would be to affix a sharpie in the stud hole area to get a mark without a dent. I am going to have this done by a professional body man who does restorations, because he is going to have to paint the scoop anyway. But of course I don't want any disasters.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:07 PM

Any chance you could find another hood and put your original in storage?
James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 10-01-2022, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
Any chance you could find another hood and put your original in storage?
James Q
I gave that some considerable thought and ultimately decided against it. Many factors. Having a place to safely store a giant piece of pristine sheet metal was 1 issue. Second, the car is painted in lacquer with no spare paint. Getting a perfect match on an entire hood vs the small hood scoop would be a much larger challenge. 3. This car IS NOT a numbers matching car or a real SD anyway.4. Cost would be huge vs just painting and installing the NOS scoop. 5. Buying a good used hood and having it shipped would be at least $1000.00. Having it stripped and painted to show quality would be another $1000.00-1500.00. Plus the cost of the scoop. Just too much time, aggravation, and expense for me. I have been agonizing over this deal for a couple months now. I wish the car had the scoop when I bought it. That would have made this whole deal simple. It will look great when it's done I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: