THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1QHOKF8NO4

A couple of us were complaining about the drills falling out of the key less chucks. This guy tests them all to see if this feature of turning it until it clicks and then turning it to the left for one click.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw that today, going to go down and test it tonight.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1QHOKF8NO4

A couple of us were complaining about the drills falling out of the key less chucks. This guy tests them all to see if this feature of turning it until it clicks and then turning it to the left for one click.
Fascinating....I need to try that. But he doesn't say if you have to do anything different when you're ready to remove the bit.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 09-30-2022, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tried it last night on my Milwaukee and it works. To remove the bit ... just keep turning past that first click to loosen.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still using the electric drills I got 50 years ago. Black and Decker. Still work great. My power automotive tools are all pneumatic and are all IR or Snap-on and are all 40+ years old and still do the job for me. I used them commercially for decades and now in retirement still use them in the garage.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use air grinders, cut off tools, etc, almost daily. 18/20 volt Dewalt drills daily as well. All my outdoor power equipment is 2 stroke gas and I hope to keep it that way. All of my leaf blowers and string trimmers are Echo, Chain Saws are mostly Husqvarna but have a few newer Echo saws as well.

I will say that IF you don't own a 1/2 20 volt Dewalt (Milwaukee are also excellent) impact get one. Best money I ever spent so bought 3 more of them and have one is each of my vehicles plus one in the shop. It reduces the time to change a flat tire to a a few seconds longer than it takes to get it jacked up and get the spare out. Dewalt for sure really stepped up the power and quality of their 1/2 brushless impact guns. I have ran into anyting yet it woln't knock loose, and the 20V lithium ion batteries last a LONG time. The 18volt version I have isn't nearly as strong and it kills the battery too quickly for my liking so I don't use that one much.

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I use air grinders, cut off tools, etc, almost daily. 18/20 volt Dewalt drills daily as well. All my outdoor power equipment is 2 stroke gas and I hope to keep it that way. All of my leaf blowers and string trimmers are Echo, Chain Saws are mostly Husqvarna but have a few newer Echo saws as well.

I will say that IF you don't own a 1/2 20 volt Dewalt (Milwaukee are also excellent) impact get one. Best money I ever spent so bought 3 more of them and have one is each of my vehicles plus one in the shop. It reduces the time to change a flat tire to a a few seconds longer than it takes to get it jacked up and get the spare out. Dewalt for sure really stepped up the power and quality of their 1/2 brushless impact guns. I have ran into anyting yet it woln't knock loose, and the 20V lithium ion batteries last a LONG time. The 18volt version I have isn't nearly as strong and it kills the battery too quickly for my liking so I don't use that one much.
I agree on the 1/2" impacts. I leave one in my trailer. If you ever had a blow out on the drivers side of an interstate hwy, it really makes you appreciate it.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:18 AM
Senior Chief

I have some hand tools,corded tools and air tools 20-40 years old and still work good. I also have had and still have makita,ridgid,hitachi,dewalt and milwaukee cordless tools. Convenient and great when power or air are not available, but the longest lasting ones I have had were only good for maybe 5-7 years. The more throw away stuff they sell you the sooner they can get back in your pocket. I still believe well made serviceable tools or anything that last 3-10 times longer than throw away everything would save resources as well as land fill space. But where are their huge profits in that?