THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Winding it up this Fall.

Good to see a lot of posters here that are not the regulars.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am very close to retiring, probably early spring 2023. My employer changed the retirement plan a few years back. Before I had a separate cash balance pension and a separate 401-K, but it was changed so the pension money goes directly into the 401-K. I'm not fully vested in my 2022 employer match until 1/1/2023, so if I retire or quit before the end of the year I lose my 401-K match and pension money contributed in 2022. Kinda sucks. Employers are slowly nibbling away at benefits, I can't remember the last time a change actually benefitted me.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

December 2023 for me after 31+ years as an LEO (54 YOA)

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-24-2023, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'm clearly the primary idiot here!

I'm turning 74 in January, been working every weekday since I turned 16 with only a few longer than 3 weeks holidays over all that time.

I run my own business, 12 years ago I employed 7 people full time, then I wound it right down and kept one woman (Lucy), working for us. (Us being my wife and myself). I moved business locations at that time and thought I'd keep going for a couple of years then give it away. Lucy was cool with that as she was looking forward to retire herself.

2 years ago, Lucy said she couldn't wait any longer for ME to retire so SHE could retire so off she went. Worked for us for 24 years. Left in great standing and still pops in to catch up when she can.

When she left, I decided to cut back to 3 days a week and I now turn away a lot of work but I still find myself in here often 5 days a week. In the last 10 days, I have been here EVERY day, so how stupid am I?

But I'm determined to wind it it all up next year. Lets see if I can

Ian

Old 10-24-2023, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Well, I'm clearly the primary idiot here!

I'm turning 74 in January, been working every weekday since I turned 16 with only a few longer than 3 weeks holidays over all that time.

I run my own business,

You are not the only one Heybuck!

I also run my own business (41 years) & even though you got be by 13 years, I doubt if I will ever completely retire! I love what I do (transporting of classics/exotics/hot rods).

My wife & I are both 61, she works for the federal government & wants to retire in 2 years which means I will cut back some & actually have been trying to do that for the last 2 years or so. In fact last year was the 1st year in 2 & a half decades that I did not run over 100,000 miles! It is hard to do when you love what you do & have so many great customers/ friends in our hobby.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 10-24-2023, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
December 2023 for me after 31+ years as an LEO (54 YOA)
Lucky bastard. In more ways than one. 54 yrs old to retire AND still alive to tell about it.

I got 2 years left at 59 now. Not too bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2023, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can afford to retire, then I'd do it. My choosen profession (mechanic) has taken a toll on my body, and I saw my father (also retired as a mechanic) grow more, and more towards disabling, dibilitating joint problems, and arthritic problems. At 77 my father had a heart attack, he survived it, but it did take a toll for the remainder of his life, he lived 15 more years, and passed at 92. The last 5 years of his life he suffered with dimentia. No one is guaranteed that the'll survive today, let alone tomorrow.

My hometown had a lot of industry, and many of the shops were union shops. I can't even calculate how many union guys I knew over the years that retired at 65, and dropped dead within 3 months. What a waste to work all your good years, and only be retired for 3 months total.

At 70, my hands, wrists, back, and knees give me pain every day, each year I get more pain, and stiffness, limiting my ability to do what 10 years ago, wasn't a problem. The longer you put off retiring, the more the body deteriorates from the natural aging process. It would be a shame to retire, and have little, to no chance to do things that you've been looking forward to for years.

Besides that, it's wonderful to wake up, and not have to punch a clock to please someone else's schedule. If I want to drive somewhere away from home, I can just stop along the way to see the sights, and attractions along my path. If I get to my destination a day later, it's not a problem, because i don't have to be at work on Monday...........

That's my take on putting off retiring, take it for what it's worth........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2023, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could have retired 4 years ago but love the job and maxed out my percentage in the meantime. At this point it feels right to leave but I am looking for a second career. LE and FD jobs are great due to pensions but working a big city like I do takes a toll on your body, mind, relationship, social life, etc. Many many long hours, mandatory overtime (more now with many leaving the profession), working weekends, holidays, nights/midnights, etc. It isn’t for everybody, so they have to offer competitive benefits packages to attract and retain people. I’ve managed to stay married (to the same woman) for 28 years but that is very rare in this profession. The Lord has blessed me with good health and a wonderful support system at home, and we managed to raise two engineers in the process!

Last edited by grivera; 10-24-2023 at 11:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 01:38 AM
Senior Chief

I posted in here previously about a year and a half ago saying my first year and a half of retirement had been enjoyable. Now I'm just a few days shy of 3 years retired just turned 66 and am loving it even more now.

If you have hobbies, or things to do and are thinking of retiring, DO IT!

Old 10-25-2023, 05:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm retiring 2/15/24. It'll be my 31st work anniversary. My last day at work will be 12/22. Will be on holidays and vacation the rest of the time. Can't wait!!!

Old 10-25-2023, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!

Old 10-25-2023, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I could have retired 4 years ago but love the job and maxed out my percentage in the meantime. At this point it feels right to leave but I am looking for a second career. LE and FD jobs are great due to pensions but working a big city like I do takes a toll on your body, mind, relationship, social life, etc. Many many long hours, mandatory overtime (more now with many leaving the profession), working weekends, holidays, nights/midnights, etc. It isn’t for everybody, so they have to offer competitive benefits packages to attract and retain people. I’ve managed to stay married (to the same woman) for 28 years but that is very rare in this profession. The Lord has blessed me with good health and a wonderful support system at home, and we managed to raise two engineers in the process!
I`m not a LEO but, we work 24/7 with mandatory overtime also. Been doing 40 to 50 hrs overtime lately. One of our guys hit 62 hrs in 2 weeks. That`s pretty much living there.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I officially retired from my primary job May 2013. Was forced into early retirement. That was all good but I didn't properly account for the incredible cost of family health care that was no longer subsidized by my employer. It was taking 40% of my retirement income to pay for healthcare. So I immediately had to ramp up my repair business at my home to fill in the income. The school that retired me had a no re-employment period of 3 years so I had to stay away. Fast forward 9-10 years, things have improved quite a bit. Have Medicare now, was able to close my shop in June 2022, my school re-employed me a number of years ago part time. Finally, it's all working out pretty good. I probably work 20-25 hours a week now, down from 60+ the previous 30 years. It feels great.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My last day is December 31st. Social Security kicks in early in February. My brothers and I have been in the wholesale/retail jewelry business since 1998. I turned 65 last September and have had 6 right shoulder surgeries in the last 7 years due to some cartilage damage and then an infection. Currently I'm sporting the latest and greatest metal and plastic reverse replacement implant. I decided a few months ago that if I'm going to ache, work was going to have to go away so I could deal with those times more on my terms. The wife is 6 years younger than me and works from home. She also carries some great insurance and I'll be on a combo of that and Medicare. Glenda likes her work situation and has no desire to quit, though working for a large bank can be a little sketchy sometimes. Our jewelry business will continue through my 66 year old brother, who will work until the day before they bury him, and his son.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If you can afford to retire, then I'd do it.. No one is guaranteed that the'll survive today, let alone tomorrow.

My hometown had a lot of industry, and many of the shops were union shops. I can't even calculate how many union guys I knew over the years that retired at 65, and dropped dead within 3 months. What a waste to work all your good years, and only be retired for 3 months total.

The longer you put off retiring, the more the body deteriorates from the natural aging process. It would be a shame to retire, and have little, to no chance to do things that you've been looking forward to for years.

Besides that, it's wonderful to wake up, and not have to punch a clock to please someone else's schedule. If I want to drive somewhere away from home, I can just stop along the way to see the sights, and attractions along my path. If I get to my destination a day later, it's not a problem, because i don't have to be at work on Monday...........

That's my take on putting off retiring, take it for what it's worth........
This is exactly why I retired 17 months ago and why I started this thread, I totally agree.

Since retiringI have been able to get the Trans Am on the road. it still needs more work, but I will work on it through the winter and it will be more complete by spring,

If you can retire don’t delay.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchT37 View Post
I`m not a LEO but, we work 24/7 with mandatory overtime also. Been doing 40 to 50 hrs overtime lately. One of our guys hit 62 hrs in 2 weeks. That`s pretty much living there.
Sounds like my life when I was a Power Plant Operator.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm hanging on a little longer. I was seriously thinking about retiring earlier this year a little before I turned 66. I delayed signing up for Medicare because I was still on my employer's health insurance so I could insure my wife has medical coverage. She turns 65 in Feb 2024, which coincides with my Full Retirement Age for Social Security. I plan to sign up for Medicare and Social Security in Feb 2024. The only reason to delay retirement any further will depend on what my doctor says. I may have another hip replacement early next year under Medicare, if so I will hang on until my medical leave ends. I am absolutely positive I will retire by summer 2024 regardless.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post
Sounds like my life when I was a Power Plant Operator.
I work for LUS. We do power, water, waste water and fiber. So, you get the picture.

Gotta work 18 hrs tonight.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:17 PM

Retired last December so now I’m trying to get ahead of 3 different car projects I didn’t have enough time for. I did my best to collect as many parts for them as I could before pulling the trigger.

I was worried about having enough money and at the same time watching the years go by and thinking about having enough time.

Do it as soon as you can, I’m glad I was able to before I got too old to still feel like doing something physical.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 01:05 PM

If you new retirees have any interests that you pursue and have family nearby...kids, grandkids, etc., hold onto your hats because time will slip away - rapidly! But it's a fun ride. At least it's been this way for me and my wife. Retired 2016. Seems like yesterday. Good luck and enjoy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 433lemans For This Useful Post: