THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Local speed shop closed

We had only one store here that sold aftermarket parts. Sadly they just closed after almost 60 years in business. A victim of Amazon and Ebay. The writing was on the wall, as I had been there a few times over the last year and the place was a ghost town. I feel bad for my son, as he is carrying the Pontiac torch now, but doesn’t have a bricks and mortar store to visit and chat with like minded people face to face.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To me it's always sad when any "mom&pop" of any kind store closes. That was someone's life.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 10-05-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW. Surprised they lasted this long. Most around my area had closed a long time before the internet. (30 years or more ago)
It was Summit and Jeg's that killed them?
They couldn't compete with the cheap and 'free' shipping.
I would think most of Amazon and possibly ebay use those to sell their stuff?
(just a bigger online footprint now, using Amazon)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that's sad...the walmart effect will doom us all eventually

Old 10-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Our Super Shops closed decades ago.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Going to the Super Shop was like having Christmas any day of the year.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Going to the Super Shop was like having Christmas any day of the year.
They had terrible service and often common parts were not in stock. Order something (Lakewood bellhousing SBC) with full payment in advance of course, call to see if it’s there and they say yes, get there and it’s not.

Good riddance.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty hard to compete with Summit, Jegs or Amazon when I can get parts the next day for a competitive price. I did my best to support our last local mom and pop speed shop, but it was mostly via lightweight machine work because they couldn't compete on parts. They closed a couple years ago and I'm surprised they made it as long as they did.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
They had terrible service and often common parts were not in stock. Order something (Lakewood bellhousing SBC) with full payment in advance of course, call to see if it’s there and they say yes, get there and it’s not.

Good riddance.
They got into the online game way too late, burning tons of money with marketing in a futile effort to catch Summit and starved their stores of funds.

They were a tire store playing speed shop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Good riddance.
Still remember the commercials on the radio though, (woman’s sultry voice) “Super Shops. Because Everyone Deserves Performance”

Old 10-05-2022, 03:42 PM

There were a couple of discussions over on the HAMB board about their closing.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...30-22.1274777/
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-gone.1273465/

It was being run by the second generation of the family. After their parents passed recently they decided they wanted to do something else with their lives.

TORONTO, September 4, 2022—Performance Improvements Speed Shops, retail stores specializing in performance auto parts, announced today that the family business will close on September 30, 2022.

When Performance Improvements was started in 1964 by Bob and Susan McJannett, the goal was to make $50 a month selling car parts to cover the rent. Instead the McJannetts managed to grow that tiny location into a chain of stores, creating one of Canada’s best small businesses and culminating in Bob’s induction into the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Marketing Association) Hall of Fame in 2003.

September 30, 2022 will be the last day of regular operations at the Toronto, Barrie and Hamilton locations before they close their doors for the last time.

“This is not a sad story. We’re proud of what we’ve done, our contributions to the local automotive community,” Andy McJannett, president, reflects. “After almost 60 years, we can sit back and say hey, we helped a lot of people improve their cars while helping so many employees over the years at the same time.”

Andy is one of Bob and Susan McJannett's two sons. The couple started selling auto parts part-time on the Queensway in Etobicoke in 1964. Early success allowed Bob to quit his job and work at the store full time. Eventually, they expanded into warehouse distribution, supplying other speed shops with performance parts across Ontario. Over the decades, the company grew by leaps and bounds, turning into a chain of stores across southern Ontario and Quebec.

Changing market conditions meant what was once a chain of nine stores contracted down to three locations, plus their website Performance Improvements.com. The brothers jointly decided it was time to make a difficult decision.

"After losing our mom a few years ago and our dad this June, my brother and I have been forced to reckon with how short life is and how it can change in an instant," said Rob McJannett, vice-president. "While we were born into this life, working in our parents' literal dream job, it was never truly our dream. It's time to move on."

Performance Improvements is known for its extensive inventory of performance auto parts and counter guys who can knowledgeably tell you how to install them. A former highlight was their annual Midnight Madness Sale – opening the doors at midnight with the lowest prices of the year. One year, the crowd was so large that a customer's pregnant wife fainted. Rather than lose his place in line, he had those behind him "crowd surf" her outside for fresh air!

The end of Performance Improvements could be a bonanza for automotive enthusiasts and car nuts alike. The stores still have a huge inventory, and they'd rather sell it than move it with a going-out-of-business sale. It starts on September 4 with discounts ranging up to 25%. "Absolutely everything must go, performance auto parts and fixtures included," said Andy McJannett. Discounts will increase each week until the stores close for the final time on September 30.

"We'd like to thank our customers and the automotive community for their continued support over the years," adds Rob McJannett, "And we appreciate the loyalty and dedication of our employees." The Performance Improvements Clearance Sale starts September 4.

FAST FACTS
Performance Improvements started in 1964
Family-owned for 58 years
Thousands of products available for cars, vans, pick-ups, street rods and race cars
More than $1 million of inventory to be liquidated, plus fixtures and equipment
The going-out-of-business sale starts September 6 with discounts ranging up to 25%, then increases weekly until doors close on September 30
Three locations
87 Advance Road, Etobicoke
422 Dunlop Street West, Barrie
1515 Upper Ottawa Street, Hamilton

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ram chargers came and went years ago in my area still a few mom and pop shops still around.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:33 PM
Senior Chief

I am in the Metro Detroit area and I fondly remember Gratiot Auto Supply and Ramchargers . I still wish they were around, I would rather look at something before I bought. There is still a local shop that is into performance, King Auto in Utica MI. They still have a machine shop and will match Summits prices. I try to support them.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
They were a tire store playing speed shop.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This was a mural on the parking area wall of me and Walter the speed shop manager.
Worked at Autofinishers Speed and Custom in the 80's,I do miss that place Syracuse,N.Y.
Rochester,N.Y. store is still in operation.
http://autofinishers.com/speedParts.php

Old 10-05-2022, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember going to Ramchargers in Toledo at the new mall “Northtowne” it was a huge deal at the time. Ramchargers was in one of the strips built out front of the main mall. Anyway I can remember they had everything you could ever want for your car hanging up somewhere. The problem was I never saw more than 1 or 2 other people in the store shopping at a time and many times just me and a couple guys working the counter. You just knew they would never last in that huge store with very little foot traffic 2 years later it was gone 30 years later and the entire mall is gone. One of the best speed shops in town started in a guys basement-garage I went there for years before moving south an hour. I hate to say it but now I online order almost everything.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speed shops based within a Machineshop appear to be a sustainable biz.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:

Good riddance.
I've heard of negative vibes, also.
My budget back then was pretty minimal. I didn't have enough $%% to spend with them to test their business strength.
Seemed like every time I was in there. Someone was trying to return a "defective" carburetor...
The store in Oklahoma City did have Edelbrocks, not long after they were put on the market.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-05-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a place called PCA here in the north east. Was like a candy store in fact it was that store that got me reading Hemings when I hung out there and got me into RAIV and RAV stuff.

I have one of the original signs in my airplane hangar

They closed along time ago but one of the managers opened his own speed shop in the area and it’s still going
Called the driving image . I haven’t been there in years cause I don’t buy much speed parts . I make most parts myself or use factory stuff I modify.
But I’d imagine w electric cars most speed shops will go out. Likely including jegs and summit. That and seeing the diesel shops get sued for millions for selling exhausts and tuners
No one wants that happening to them.

Funny how people like to vote to take other peoples hobbies away (2nd amendment) then their hobby gets cut and it’s suddenly a big deal . I warned gear heads for years these people would eliminate our cars and parts but no one would listen .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-05-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still got me a good one around here. K&M Speed in Levittown. I hate to see the day it closes.