Old 08-30-2022, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

awesome job, if you're starting a list i would be in for 2

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 08-31-2022, 09:51 AM

These look great. Thanks for taking on the project. I'm in for 2.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another journey down state this morning resulted in a very satisfying return trip home with precious cargo onboard. I worked on them for several hours this afternoon cleaning them, confirming fit, deburring, etc. Here's a little holiday weekend eye candy for y'all.

Tim john---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220903_164304567.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	597773  

Last edited by Tim john; 09-03-2022 at 05:28 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2022, 08:07 AM

great Job !! I'm in for 2

Old 09-05-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
*UPDATE*

Made yet another trip down state to go over emblem progress, 3rd prototype has been produced, 3rd attempt photo attached. Fits the bumper profile beautiful top, bottom and both sides. Getting close to finalization. Real happy how this is coming together. I have fit #3 on three different factory 400 bumpers and each of them produced the same fit finish results, real pleased. Some liberties have been taken on the B side to help pilot the emblem. The bumpers clearance holes are very generous in size and the original emblem had plenty of real estate to move around so we revised the prototypes bosses to fit much better, and it does. In the attachment photo the emblem is just resting on the bumper, no fasteners are in place. The business that I am working with has been a real pleasure thus far, very passionate about what they do, pride and reputation comes to mind. Stay tuned.

Tim john---
Tim,
I'm a nuuby to the forum, but I don't expect that there are many on here that take on a project of this size of effort. I have been looking for this item for many years, and I pledge to give you a token of appreciation when these become available.

I only have one 400, but I plan to obtain one of these to use, and two spares. I bet those that have been looking for this as long as I have may have similar ambitions; the point being that the estimate for production numbers may possibly be more than just the number of inquiries or the number of 400s produced or still in service. That should be good news for the developer! But thanks again for your dogged pursuit of this product.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:00 PM
Senior Chief

Now would be nice to have the fastener reproduced too. Here is one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134221870022?

Old 09-05-2022, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
Now would be nice to have the fastener reproduced too. Here is one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134221870022?
First time I've seen one. I've been using larger washers for the past 30+ years...lol!

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 09-05-2022, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All, I have a factory original fastener that I can reference if I decide to go that route for retention, focused on the emblems for now. Super pleased with the results thus far. Really appreciate the nice comments for taking this on.

Tim john---

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
All, I have a factory original fastener that I can reference if I decide to go that route for retention, focused on the emblems for now. Super pleased with the results thus far. Really appreciate the nice comments for taking this on.

Tim john---
Commend you on all the continued efforts. Looks like the final product should be a quality product!!

Old 09-12-2022, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All, I plan on attending the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags (possibly on Friday or Saturday, the better weather between the two days) in Stanton, Michigan (Mid-Michigan Motorplex) this upcoming weekend and will bring a few emblems and a bumper with me for anyone interested to check out the fit and finish. They will not be painted but otherwise complete. I do not as of today have final billing from the prototype shop for all costs incurred but expect them to be in the $ 200.00/ea range as is. The emblems will have solid brass female threaded inserts installed w/ factory size 10-24 threads, 316 stainless steel threaded studs (2 pieces) for a lifetime of corrosion resistance and factory style Pal nuts (on order but expect them in before the weekend). This price estimate reflects GPS scanning multiple items, generating prototype pieces, rework, raw materials for emblems, inserts, studs, Pal nuts and fuel consumption back and forth across the state on several occasions plus UPS shipping charges to and from multiple vendors. I am spreading the total costs across all the emblems to make it fair.

To keep costs as low as possible I will make them available unpainted so end user can paint themselves and save time and materials expense on my part. I only have so many available and am not in a position to take backorders. My plan is not, was not to go in the emblem manufacturing business. I set out to reproduce an accurate representation of a unique part and have done so and those who follow through will be the benefactor.

If the demand is there I can see about producing another batch late fall through the winter but time is precious this time of the year for me w/hunting & trapping so I make no promises on availability on any certain date.

PM me for phone contact information to meet at the track.

Hope to see you there.

Tim

Last edited by Tim john; 09-12-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

*UPDATE*

Thanks to those who reached out to look at and critique the new emblem at the Pure Stock Drags. Those who did said they were impressed, pleased and committed to purchase. I brought a bumper and a handful of emblems for those with interest to install and see the fit and finish for themselves. Today, once again the factory style "Pal" nuts have been back ordered. That makes three weeks in a row where my order has been delayed so I have moved on to tinkering with fabricating a factory style emblem retainer until the nuts come in. I will keep yall posted on my version as things progress. Today I purchased some material to prototype the retainer to keep the emblem progress moving forward.

*Note, The eBay link above showing a factory retainer is correct but does not show the bottom (underside) of the retainer with detail, there are four angular cut edges that fit the profile of the backside of the bumper along with a water drain provision and the folded over ends are much deeper than they appear in the photos.

Tim

Last edited by Tim john; 09-22-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
*UPDATE*

*Note, The eBay link above showing a factory retainer is correct but does not show the bottom (underside) of the retainer with detail, there are four angular cut edges that fit the profile of the backside of the bumper along with a water drain provision and the folded over ends are much deeper than they appear in the photos.

Tim
I purchased that eBay emblem retainer so if detail pics or measurements are needed feel free to PM me…

Old 09-22-2022, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for the generous offer, I have a factory original to reference.

Tim

Old 10-03-2022, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

*UPDATE*

The factory style "Pal" nuts finally arrived today, four weeks on backorder but are finally in hand as of this afternoon.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20221003-152628.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	599891  

Last edited by Tim john; 10-03-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Really good job on acquiring those .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-05-2022, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

*UPDATE*

Another giant leap forward on a factory correct appearing reproduction part, the emblem retention bracket in this case. It took me several tries to get this right but I have done so. Confident enough to have several pieces Water-jet cut to size, holes placed & elongated where necessary, angel cut edges to follow the B side of the bumper and multi folded all per factory original. I upgraded the steel by using fully galvanized 16 Gage metal for a lifetime of corrosion resistance unlike the factory original left as a raw steel un-plated, un-protected bracket that heavily rusted and pitted. This new bracket fits my emblem and the bumper perfectly. Other than painting the emblem face there is nothing left to do. Once I get all the brackets made, the emblems will be available/for sale. I will have 20. I will tally up out of pocket expenses after I get the bill from the machine shop who Water-jet cut the material for me, provided stock, etc. I am super pleased with how everything came together, I think you will be too.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221005_094726063.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	599980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221005_094743757.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	599981  

Last edited by Tim john; 10-05-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:30 PM

Thanks again Tim john. I am chompin' at the bit to get my hands on one of these, and more in the future, if there is another run.

Firebird-D

Old 10-12-2022, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

*UPDATE*

I now have all the retention brackets made, they fit the emblem perfectly, the B side of the bumper, holes line up exactly centered, sized correct for the factory size studs and secured with factory Pal nuts.

These are now available for sale, I have 20 ready to go. The cost is $ 220.00/each plus actual shipping costs. I will ship them USPS unless you request otherwise. They will ship bubble wrapped in a small coregated box. What you will receive is a new reproduction emblem, solid brass female threaded inserts, stainless steel studs, new factory style Pal nuts, a new 16 Gage galvanized metal retention bracket. The emblem will ship unpainted so you will have to paint as you prefer. For me to do so I can not keep the costs down, I just don't have the equipment to be cost effective.

Each emblem and all components will be carefully inspected prior to shipping, if you drop it, dent it, chip it, damage it in any way that is on you. I offer no warranty with these as I solely relied on my homework for raw material selections and various shops to help me bring this together at the best price point possible for such a small production run. I'm not a business, just an enthusiast like yourself.

Process for painting:
Wax and grease remove/clean.
One coat of high build primer to fill in any texture.
Satin black the whole emblem face.
Tape off depression areas and light coat of satin silver.

Preferred payment for the emblem assembly is a US Postal money order. Any interest please PM me and we can shake out the details. Thank You.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221012_123340394.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	600316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221012_124359657.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	600317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221012_124529631.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	600318  

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 03:28 PM

Tim, I’ll take one. Please call, or email me your address so I can send you payment. My email is sjreek@hotmail.com. My cell is 414-254-0403

Old 10-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sjreek, Email sent with details.

* Multiple emblems will be shipping out tomorrow.

For those who requested emblems I have sent you a PM letting you know your payment arrived today and your emblem (s) will ship tomorrow, thank you. Everything is boxed up and ready to go.

Tim