Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 PM

I'm converting a 62 GP from Roto to a t-10 and am having a heck of a time finding a rear trans mount assembly. What is the possibility of moving the cross member forward enough to use the lower trans. mount boss of the t-10 along with a full rubber mount? Would this cause any complications? It surely seems like a better mounting setup. Thanks~

Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 PM

I'm converting a 62 GP from Roto to a t-10 and am having a heck of a time finding a rear trans mount assembly. What is the possibility of moving the cross member forward enough to use the lower trans. mount boss of the t-10 along with a full rubber mount? Would this cause any complications? It surely seems like a better mounting setup. Thanks~

Old 06-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they show up on ebay quite often.Make sure your trans has the 5 holes shifter mounting tail housing.The tab on the trans mount goes into one of the unused holes.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2004, 09:23 PM

I've got the correct t-10, (date coded 11-61) with the hole for the mounting tab. I can't seem to bid fast enough on e-bay at the last 60 seconds when the bids go from $100 to $160 whew!Guess I should just put in a $500 bid from the gitgo that would shake them up! Anyway that's why I was wondering if the forward mount would work. Thanks for the food reply. Rich~

Old 06-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

esnipe,set the max your willing to pay and forget it.Tom

Old 06-22-2004, 06:37 PM

Thanks Tom, I'll gladly try it.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you move the cross member forward, you will have to do something with your emergency brake cables, one adjuster hooks to the cross member, There are a couple of other choices, 1. Use a long tailshaft T-10, 2. Contact Brad Duerst at Fabcraft, he is making a lot of stuff for 61-2 straight shift s, I think that he is making the piece that you are looking for. His email is bduerst@attg.net

Old 06-23-2004, 09:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 62gp

I recently did what you are suggesting on a 62 gp with a Muncie. Moved the crossmember up one hole and drilled new front holes. Fabbed a 1/4" steel plate, used the full rubber mount under the transmission. Had to shim slightly to correct pinion angle. Far better mount, I beleive, than the tailshaft mount. No problems so far - Lewis

Old 06-24-2004, 07:39 PM

Now that's what I like to see,- good ole Yankee enginuity! Thanks much~

Old 09-30-2022, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62gp View Post
I recently did what you are suggesting on a 62 gp with a Muncie. Moved the crossmember up one hole and drilled new front holes. Fabbed a 1/4" steel plate, used the full rubber mount under the transmission. Had to shim slightly to correct pinion angle. Far better mount, I beleive, than the tailshaft mount. No problems so far - Lewis
My 62 Catalina was converted exactly that way. I also have a Muncie but T10 should be exactly the same. I made 2 new E-brake hangers from 3/16" rod from Menards. $1.79 for 3 feet. Works fine. My conversion was done probably 15 years ago before I bought the car. One of the few things I haven't had to re-work.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread is old enough to vote FYI..

I used a chevelle crossmember and welded about 2" of plate to each side, now I can use a more typical trans mount and have cutouts for dual exhaust to clear.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.