WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 Transmission Tech

G8 Transmission Tech Automatic or Manual trans tech help.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default G8 6spd swap?

My mom has a G8 with the V-6 and I love that thing, so comfortable, I want one with the V-8, but I want the 6spd, and not have to track down a GXP

I am curious if anyone has seen anything yet on swapping in the 6spd into a regular GT

Thanks

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 07-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More trouble than it's worth. There are a few GXPs for sale nationwide.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
More trouble than it's worth. There are a few GXPs for sale nationwide.
how's it more trouble?

I have seen quite a few guys with BMW 740i change over, and its not a problem for them.

I think a swap would be pretty much straight forward.

only problem I see is the crossmember maybe.

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
how's it more trouble?

I have seen quite a few guys with BMW 740i change over, and its not a problem for them.

I think a swap would be pretty much straight forward.

only problem I see is the crossmember maybe.
Well then go for it. You'll need the pedals, tranny, console, ECM/BCM and a good tuner to defeat/disable the Displacement on Demand that the 6.0 has but the 6.2L doesn't. Should only cost you about $5-7K.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Well then go for it. You'll need the pedals, tranny, console, ECM/BCM and a good tuner to defeat/disable the Displacement on Demand that the 6.0 has but the 6.2L doesn't. Should only cost you about $5-7K.
Not sure if I am reading into your post too much, but I detect some attitude. Not sure why...

like I said in my original post,
Quote:
I am curious if anyone has seen anything yet on swapping in the 6spd into a regular GT
Anyways.
consoles seem to be the same from all the pictures I have seen, not sure how the active fuel management would affect anything as the 04 GTO with the manual had it IIRC

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go check g8board to see if anyone has attempted it. I think what Mr. GTO is saying is that to go buy a GT and do the swap, you'd have GXP money into it so why not just GXP to start with?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I actually found yesterday a guy who did it.

I dont remember which forum.

But his swap looked great. BUT he used really high end stuff, like a ZR1 clutch/flywheel

I did some more research and it appears that the Holden VE aka G8 was made with the manual option and used a tremec T-56, to me that means all the parts should be readily available from GM.

The few 6 speed GXP's I have seen for sale on autotrader and ebay are well into the $40Ks, those guys know what they have

Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I certainly think they have something as well but time will tell. Sounds like a plan then, look forward to seeing it through!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not sure if I am reading into your post too much, but I detect some attitude. Not sure why...

like I said in my original post,

Anyways.
consoles seem to be the same from all the pictures I have seen, not sure how the active fuel management would affect anything as the 04 GTO with the manual had it IIRC
Because it's more money and trouble than it's worth.

Consoles are NOT the same.

Don't confuse AFM with Skip Shift. NOT THE SAME. You really need to educate yourself on the cars and understand what it would take to do the job. Not saying it can't be done but after all the time effort and money you'd be better off just buying a GXP.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 AM

"Because it's more money and trouble than it's worth."

agreed... you would need the trans, pcm, bcm, tune, possible wiring, cutting/welding/instillation, interior pieces, etc. Speaking from experience on other vehicles, this is more trouble then it's worth.

I am happy the the auto/auto shift myself. If you have tons of cash to burn, it would be a good idea. If you are going to do the mod (especially on a 6 cyl...) go buy a gxp since it would cost around the same.

There are also not alot of gxp's being parted out so I would assume you would have to buy these parts brand new. I can only assume the bcm/pcm would cost a ton by themselves. I would honestly estimate the instillation cost (if done by yourself) at least near 10k if not more. Check out the inflated prices on new car parts in this economy and be realistic. New tranny would cost near 5k alone, thenpcm/bcm/console, tune, etc.

I have seen several m6's for sale recently including a psm (rarest color) on autotrader.com. They go very fast (in a day or two) but they have been selling for around 30-33k. Remember these are used cars now and even though they are rare they are still depreciating. Some people think these cars are worth a ton and try to sell them for 40k+, and they sit on the cars forever because no one is spending this lol. I almost bought a 09 gxp sbm for 40k with 2k miles 4 months ago in ohio but i bought a gt instead. i also saw a 09 gxp with 700 miles sell for 33k 3 weeks ago on autotrader. I assume these cars will be in the 20-25k range in a year or two, just look at grand prix gxp's or solstice gxps. Also remember that most of the auto gxp's are rarer than the manuals as they produced more m6's than autos.

Above all, however, if you want to do the mod, go for it. I say "to each his own", but i figured I's put in my 2 cents... Sorry for the long post.
2001 Grand Am GT
------------------------------------------
2007 Grand Prix GXP (loaded) - SOLD March 2014
1997 Formula - SOLD August 2013
1997 Grand Prix GTP Coupe -SOLD April 2011
1984 Firebird 350 -SOLD June 2003
1975 Trans Am 455 4spd - SOLD 2/13/14
1974 LeMans GT (RIP)
1966 LeMans -SOLD December 2008
Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Local guy here in Atlanta did an A6 to M6 conversion on a GT plus a bunch of other mods. Pretty good threads on it over at the G8 board. Like others have posted, by the time he got it all done and tuned, he was way over GXP M6 $. I didn't really see the point. But he has a unique ride as a result.

BJ

Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Local guy here in Atlanta did an A6 to M6 conversion on a GT plus a bunch of other mods. Pretty good threads on it over at the G8 board. Like others have posted, by the time he got it all done and tuned, he was way over GXP M6 $. I didn't really see the point. But he has a unique ride as a result.

BJ
are you talking about Dave GA? He is the first to do it I believe, however I dont think his conversion is a good representation because he has a really hot motor and he went all out on the parts, you could get stock LS stuff for way cheaper than what he did, not to mention not all the one off stuff he got from manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455_PWR View Post
"Because it's more money and trouble than it's worth."

agreed... you would need the trans, pcm, bcm, tune, possible wiring, cutting/welding/instillation, interior pieces, etc. Speaking from experience on other vehicles, this is more trouble then it's worth.
snip

There are also not alot of gxp's being parted out so I would assume you would have to buy these parts brand new. I can only assume the bcm/pcm would cost a ton by themselves. I would honestly estimate the instillation cost (if done by yourself) at least near 10k if not more. Check out the inflated prices on new car parts in this economy and be realistic. New tranny would cost near 5k alone, thenpcm/bcm/console, tune, etc.
snip

Above all, however, if you want to do the mod, go for it. I say "to each his own", but i figured I's put in my 2 cents... Sorry for the long post.
yea I doubt many gxp's are being parted out, but as I stated earlier, the holden VE (Australian for g8 haha) came with the T-56 so there are plenty of manual trans parts out there. Also there are more than a few Australian firms I have seen selling VE/G8 parts for this specific reason.

if Dave GA did it for around 8K with all the race/high end custom parts Im sure that you could do it cheaper. One of the Australian companies has a complete kit for 5K Australian dollars, from the pedals to the drive shaft.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Because it's more money and trouble than it's worth.

Consoles are NOT the same.

Don't confuse AFM with Skip Shift. NOT THE SAME. You really need to educate yourself on the cars and understand what it would take to do the job. Not saying it can't be done but after all the time effort and money you'd be better off just buying a GXP.
I wasnt going to reply, but the sheer level of arrogance and ignorance and lack of reading comprehension is forcing my hand.

I realize the active fuel management and the skip shift are not the same. next you want to tell me how a 14" wheel and a 18" wheel arent the same.

how do you know the consoles arent the same? DaveGA used the same one with a holden shift boot on his conversion.

as I have said it before, and now again hopefully this time you will understand. I AM NOT CONVERTING A G8 TO A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
This is simply a hypothetical/has somebody done it discussion thread as this is a discussion forum
. not a "hey Mr GTO says its all too hard dont do it" thread.

if you seriously cant handle a discussion I suggest you leave this thread alone.

Im not sure what your problem is, but I suggest you go work on your life so hopefully you dont have to argue and fling insults on an internet forum to feel good about yourself.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen a couple GXPs on the boards for 32 to 35, not worth the effort IMHO when they can be found for a decent price. Irregardless of whether you can actually do it or not... Moral of the story so far as I can see, yes it can be done but doesn't make much sense. Then again most of the things we do to our cars don't "really" make much sense!!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
are you talking about Dave GA? He is the first to do it I believe, however I dont think his conversion is a good representation because he has a really hot motor and he went all out on the parts, you could get stock LS stuff for way cheaper than what he did, not to mention not all the one off stuff he got from manufacturers.

if Dave GA did it for around 8K with all the race/high end custom parts Im sure that you could do it cheaper. One of the Australian companies has a complete kit for 5K Australian dollars, from the pedals to the drive shaft.
Yep - same guy. You're right, he really built that motor and I think he initially had some issues with the clutch and rear handling all that power and getting it to the wheels. I haven't spoken with him in a while now - last time I saw him was at a local meet and he was still collecting parts at that time - then later saw some discussion on it over at the G8 board.

Didn't know about the Austrailian company offering a complete kit. That's tempting for either an A6 GT or an A6 GXP. Shoot me a PM with a link if you don't mind.

BJ

Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Neither year of the GTO had AFM, thank goodness.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I wasnt going to reply, but the sheer level of arrogance and ignorance and lack of reading comprehension is forcing my hand.

I realize the active fuel management and the skip shift are not the same. next you want to tell me how a 14" wheel and a 18" wheel arent the same.

how do you know the consoles arent the same? DaveGA used the same one with a holden shift boot on his conversion.

as I have said it before, and now again hopefully this time you will understand. I AM NOT CONVERTING A G8 TO A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
This is simply a hypothetical/has somebody done it discussion thread as this is a discussion forum
. not a "hey Mr GTO says its all too hard dont do it" thread.

if you seriously cant handle a discussion I suggest you leave this thread alone.

Im not sure what your problem is, but I suggest you go work on your life so hopefully you dont have to argue and fling insults on an internet forum to feel good about yourself.

And I responded as a normal rational human being...it's MORE TROUBLE THAN IT'S WORTH.

and based on your post you didn't know the difference between AMF and Skip Shift. This is what you said: "not sure how the active fuel management would affect anything as the 04 GTO with the manual had it IIRC"
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
Neither year of the GTO had AFM, thank goodness.
I thought the 04 had the AFM and the DOD, no?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
And I responded as a normal rational human being...it's MORE TROUBLE THAN IT'S WORTH.

and based on your post you didn't know the difference between AMF and Skip Shift. This is what you said: "not sure how the active fuel management would affect anything as the 04 GTO with the manual had it IIRC"
please reread my earlier post.

and its called reading comprehension, get some

Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I thought the 04 had the AFM and the DOD, no?
LOL......jesus christ. NO GTO HAD THAT. Only the G8 GT and the new Camaro with AuTO have it.