Old 11-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Well this thing is on it's way to Australia!

Here are some pics. I've included the good, the bad and the ugly here.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:28 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

The good.. its a pure Pontiac...

The bad and the ugly I think you will fix your way.

Love the full size Bonne

John L.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Beautiful car... looks like you have a bit of work to do though! Best of luck with it.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It appears to be in fairly good condition. I'm glad things have worked out for you.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet! Congrats on your purchase. Probably not a lot of black plate CA cars left.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up CA Black Plates

Marv,

Just a word on those CA black plates.

I'm told that the US Customs might remove those plates prior to the car being shipped out. I heard this from a friend who recently imported a very nice 1959 Imperial Southampton (4 door pillar-less car) and his black CA plates were removed. The plates were on the car when it was in the compound prior to shipping but not on the car when it arrived in Melbourne. His inquiries led him to understand that the Customs are removing them.

That may or may not be true and someone else decided to steal them but nonetheless if you want to retain the plates, maybe you can have them removed and thrown into the recess in the back of the trunk.

Otherwise, NICE CAR.

Cheers

Ian

Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

Cheers guys!

Plates have already been removed and handed in to the DMV, as per the requirements when sending a car overseas. The basic process is that, to ensure the title of ownership exits the USA correctly (and can then be brought into Oz correctly), the shipping agent removes the plates and hands them in to the DMV with an Export Authorisation form - this allows the car to leave the US without issues over the title expiring.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Marv, congrats on the purchase. You're to be commended for moving on from the last project. Nice car and I'm sure it will be a sweet ride when you put your touches on it.

Bob

Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, that SUCKS to learn that the DMV commies have commandeered those bits of black gold. An original pair of black CAL plates are valuable, especially when they're still on the car!! Grrrr...

Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Just a word on those CA black plates.
While customs may be removing them, a set of black plates goes for over $400 and people WILL steal them off of your car in a parking lot or from your driveway if you aren't careful. I always kept non-standard hardware on my black plate cars to keep people from stealing them (and yes I did catch people trying a few times plus the aftermath of marred bolts).

Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

$400 for government issue numberplates is MADNESS.

I can't believe people pay that. If they were on the car when they got to me, I'd planned on using them to hold soil away from the back door of the new shed.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Typical response from residents of the other 49 states is "It's California!" While shrugging your shoulders.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I always kept non-standard hardware on my black plate cars to keep people from stealing them).
^^^^^X2

Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

I was enjoying reading Marvs post and then I got to the fire and I was horrified.I was very pleased to see its come right in the end and the new car is very cool.As for the plates both my cars still had theres when they came in with the 63 tempest having the black cali plates. The rules seem some what plastic.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For those not in the know, California is one of the few states that, so long as you keep the registration current, keeps the plates active. That's why it's kind of a 'pedigree' (if you will) indicating that the car has been in there for a long time (since before '69, anyway).

Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I got the safari and brought it back to Nevada it was still wearing the Black CA plates. So I took them in with me. The gal at the DMV counter looked at them and said "I really think you want to keep these" and handed them back.

We have a lot of car savvy people working at the Nevada DMV.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 11-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plates turned into the CA DMV are destroyed. A total waste. Black plates original to the car add to the value of the car considerably, IME. They document that the car has been in a very mild environment for at least the past 45 years. If a black plate car is shipped elsewhere, the plates should be kept with the car, if at all possible. CA DMV allows these plates to be used as Year of Manufacture on vehicles of the era that are newly registered that don't have black plates (out of state cars coming into CA), but you have to buy a pair of DMV-cleared plates at a swap meet, and pay about $50 per year to use them. Even then, it will be evident from the paperwork that the plates were not on the car when the car was new. I have one original black plate car left, my '65, and it'll stay that way, even if I move out of state. Every 10 years or so, I scrape the 1/4" thick yearly registration stickers off the rear plate, and I'm good to go for another 10 years until the stickers pile up again. That rear plate as seen 33 tags since I've owned the car, and 17 prior to my ownership. That is definite history, and worth something, IMO.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Black Plate cars are valued in OZ as we recognize that the car has been in CA all it's life and so can be reasonably assumed to have little or no rust. Classic car retailers here make mention of it as a sales point when advertising stock.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Default Street Machine

Hey Marv
I see you got a write up in Street Machine http://www.streetmachine.com.au/ in the "My Shed" section.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Senior Chief

Hi mate, yes i have been a contributor to SM for many years as a journo so i was very touched they gave me space to share my horror story. Theyre a bunch of great blokes and i wouldnt have achieved anything in my career without their help and guidance