Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM

Default 1965 Full Size/Bonneville Dual Master Cylinder

Wondering if anyone has upgraded to a dual master cylinder on a 65 full size car and can offer some advice on parts used?

I have read through lots of post online about doing the conversion but cant find anything specific to 65 cars.

I currently have a dual master cylinder and the two lines that run from it out of a 67 car which seems to be whats recommended to use.
I am now wondering how I can make this work with my 65 factory brake lines.

I know I need a new distribution block for a split system and want to know if there is one that will work with the factory lines and have the correct size ports for the flare nuts and in the correct locations.

Basically is there a way of doing this without having to replace/modify my existing lines or is there no way around this without some replacement/modification to the lines?

PS I have power drums all around, not upgrading to disk brakes at this stage.

Thanks
Damien

Last edited by 65Bonnie389; 08-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use a 67 master cylinder that is compatible to your booster.
You need to find out if you have a Delco-Moraine or a Bendix booster.
Someone used to sell a wishbone line that would connect to the dual master and you could use your original line.
The other way is to disconnect the line from the junction block that goes to the rear wheels and run it to the rear port of the new master and put a plug in the outlet of the junction block. Connect your existing line to the front port of the master.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:32 PM

Thanks Steve, yes I have the correct master cylinder for my booster.

Ill probably go the way you have recommended which is to block of the rear port on the junction block and run that line direct to the master cylinder as this will be easier with the parts I have.

Also one more question, should the rear line connect to the rear M/C port (closest to the firewall) and the fronts to the front port? There seems to be conflicting information on this online and many people seem to do this the other way around (front line to rear port closest to firewall) so want to make sure i get this right.

The M/C I have is out of a 67 as I said and is correct for power drum brakes and both reservoirs appear to be the same size. Please confirm the correct set-up? Thanks

Last edited by 65Bonnie389; 08-27-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:36 AM

Any updates? Did this work? You figure it out yet?