Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Senior Chief

Default Who Else Is Waiting For A Formula Wheel?

I ordered mine many months ago. When the rest of the order arrived promptly, I contacted customer service. Nice people. Over the weeks and months I kept getting the same story: We are waiting for the collars to arrive from the vendor. Should be in in a week or two at most.

Well, last week I received a definitive date: July 17th the collars will be delivered to Ames. Hopefully we will get our steering wheels soon thereafter, so we can stop steering with vise grips (LOL).

I'm told something like 54 are on backorder!

I wonder if amongst the talented people on this board, there isn't a talented person who could whittle one up in a CNC machine, drill and tap a few holes and paint on crinkle paint!

Oh well, only five more weeks to wait.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:42 PM
Administrator

This is your host that is causing the delays! Max Performance (formerly Performance Years) makes the collars. We have 145 orders. Our supplier has had troubles delivering this part. It's a pretty complicated product requiring several different operations including the spline, aluminum casting, cnc and wrinkle paint.

The reason why you can't cnc these collars is because the part that goes over the column and holds it in place (spline) is part of this assembly. It requires a very unique process as the spline is hardened and chamfered.

I'll double check and confirm whether that promised date is accurate.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ordered a formula wheel two weeks ago to replace the one I bought 5-6 years ago and got it right away- fast shipping but I think you are waiting on other parts?

FYI these wheels have about a 5 year shelf life. Both the one in my 70 GTO and 79 TA started falling apart at the same interval. The price is reasonable and cheaper than getting it wrapped in leather so I just bought another one. I will say the quality of the wheels are excellent, the just break up after a while. That’s not really Ames fault.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

1965GP, I'm guessing that you already had the collar, horn assembly, etc. and that you bought only the steering wheel.

I needed the entire kit. Thd holdup is the collars. Now if you got one with the collar, our sponsor has some 'splainin' to do, as Ricky Ricardo used to say

Stuart

Old 06-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No- I ordered the coller and install kit 5 years ago when I bought the first wheel. You are correct- this was only the wheel. I am very happy with the way it feels/looks.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
No- I ordered the coller and install kit 5 years ago when I bought the first wheel. You are correct- this was only the wheel. I am very happy with the way it feels/looks.
Whewh! LUCYYY? ;)

Old 06-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I ordered a formula wheel two weeks ago to replace the one I bought 5-6 years ago and got it right away- fast shipping but I think you are waiting on other parts?

FYI these wheels have about a 5 year shelf life. Both the one in my 70 GTO and 79 TA started falling apart at the same interval. The price is reasonable and cheaper than getting it wrapped in leather so I just bought another one. I will say the quality of the wheels are excellent, the just break up after a while. That’s not really Ames fault.
Understand, is there anything you could suggest, in the way of a coating or treatment, applied when new, that might prolong the life of the wheel?

Old 06-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Understand, is there anything you could suggest, in the way of a coating or treatment, applied when new, that might prolong the life of the wheel?
There are 2 brands of wheels out there. Ours and Parts Place. Ours is softer and we have two thickness's. 70-72 and 73-76. When you press your thumb on the foam, it gives a bit.

We put one on my Bandit car 10 years ago. It was still perfect when I sold it last June. I suppose a car sitting in the hot sun a lot would accelerate that decline of the wheel. I never put any type of protectant on the wheel.

So my thoughts would be to keep it out of direct sun as much as possible. There's really not much else you can do.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

Do these wheels now have better metal centers?

Previous experience with these is the metal is super flimsy and bends easily....

If you can't find a good OEM steering wheel, the LeCarra copy of the formula wheel is such a better built wheel.

The Following User Says Thank You to 65madgoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the last one from Ames- I have no idea who they get it from. Both cars are stored indoors and get less than 1000 miles a year.

The one from my TA I bought from Restore a Musclecar (I think?) about the same time and both are splitting along the top and crumbling where the spokes meet the wheel.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are the pics- Gold one out of the TA black one out of the 70 GTO. I know I bought the GTO wheel from Ames but like I said it was a while ago.

My wife drives the TA when it gets driven so I don’t think it is a driver issue.

Notice the screws rusting on the TA? I had the same thing happen to the GTO. If you order them maybe put an extra coat of paint on them.

Not sure if you can tell which manufacturer they are from or not? I liked it enough to buy another one. To be clear- I am not saying don’t buy it. Just letting you know my experience
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E79B87D9-1203-4CBF-941E-A0C3CE939623.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	542636   Click image for larger version

Name:	E25C06E0-B657-434C-9A43-0F19D95E0FA6.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	542637   Click image for larger version

Name:	0BD30D12-2166-4D5D-A795-00B11622D123.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	542638   Click image for larger version

Name:	337B004F-D277-4190-A5CB-0702D02BB381.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	542639  

Old 06-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
Do these wheels now have better metal centers?

Previous experience with these is the metal is super flimsy and bends easily....

If you can't find a good OEM steering wheel, the LeCarra copy of the formula wheel is such a better built wheel.
The original wheels were flimsy too. I believe it was done purposely for safety.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Here are the pics- Gold one out of the TA black one out of the 70 GTO. I know I bought the GTO wheel from Ames but like I said it was a while ago.

My wife drives the TA when it gets driven so I don’t think it is a driver issue.

Notice the screws rusting on the TA? I had the same thing happen to the GTO. If you order them maybe put an extra coat of paint on them.

Not sure if you can tell which manufacturer they are from or not? I liked it enough to buy another one. To be clear- I am not saying don’t buy it. Just letting you know my experience
those are nasty looking wheels! I've never seen any of our wheels do anything remotely close to that. Yikes!

Anyone else reading ever have their reproduction wheel do anything like that?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve heard of a few other people having the same issues. Cars are in Houston, TX so they can get hot, but not extreme temperature swings.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
The original wheels were flimsy too. I believe it was done purposely for safety.
I have an original wheel that had a bend in the left side spoke. I had to use a bench hydraulic press to get it back in shape. I've seen a repro wheel bend a spoke when someone was trying to move/push the car across the garage floor.. No comparison, at least with that wheel....

The Following User Says Thank You to rwfisher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here,,,i bought the lecarra leather wheel and horn button and the other stuff from ames to convert from my standard 70 gto wheel to the formula. Still waiting on the collar . Sounds maybe we're close??

Ive read where the formula wheel wasnt available with manual steering because of the flimsy formula wheel.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They changed yo steel in 79 or 80.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 07-15-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have purchased both brands of Repro Formula wheels, and they aren't fit for a go-cart. I got so pissed with their poor construction, I sought out a pristine original for some hefty coin.

Why bother producing this trash?

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
I have purchased both brands of Repro Formula wheels, and they aren't fit for a go-cart. I got so pissed with their poor construction, I sought out a pristine original for some hefty coin.

Why bother producing this trash?
:^(

Wish I knew this before ordering mine. Thanks for the insight.

Stuart

The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
This is your host that is causing the delays! Max Performance (formerly Performance Years) makes the collars. We have 145 orders. Our supplier has had troubles delivering this part. It's a pretty complicated product requiring several different operations including the spline, aluminum casting, cnc and wrinkle paint.

The reason why you can't cnc these collars is because the part that goes over the column and holds it in place (spline) is part of this assembly. It requires a very unique process as the spline is hardened and chamfered.

I'll double check and confirm whether that promised date is accurate.
Okay, it is after July 17. Have you been able to confirm that the July 17 delivery date occurred? If not, is there a new delivery date? Failing that, and after reading some of the remarks about the quality of the product, I'd consider going another direction.

But for now, let's hope the assemblies are being put together for delivery.

Thanks,

Stuart