Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Default Master cylinder R129WP issues

I ordered and received the 1970-77 R129WP master cylinder and installed it only to find that the connection for the rear brake line leaks regardless of how tight it is. Seems that the mating surface on the master cylinder is too far inset and the brake line just isn't sealing as the threaded fitting on the brake line is bottomed out but the line is still lose enough to move when touched. Just wondering if other members have had this problem or is this just a problem with the master cylinder that I got. It does say "Made In China" on it so I am guessing that that may be the problem. I wish AMES would state that in the catalog as I would have thought twice before ordering it.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:14 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
I ordered and received the 1970-77 R129WP master cylinder and installed it only to find that the connection for the rear brake line leaks regardless of how tight it is. Seems that the mating surface on the master cylinder is too far inset and the brake line just isn't sealing as the threaded fitting on the brake line is bottomed out but the line is still lose enough to move when touched. Just wondering if other members have had this problem or is this just a problem with the master cylinder that I got. It does say "Made In China" on it so I am guessing that that may be the problem. I wish AMES would state that in the catalog as I would have thought twice before ordering it.
Mr. G, we appreciate you reaching out! As with any manufacturing, there is always the possibility of a defect. Though this master cylinder may be manufactured overseas, it is still overall a very good quality piece that we've had great luck with over the years. From your description, it sounds to be either a bad brake line fitting or the internal threads of the cylinder. Looking through any of our past returns for this item, your specific issue has not come up before. We will of course stand behind any of our product though, and this does sound like a possibility of a defective unit. Please give us a call @ (800)421-2637, or email me @ kyler@amesperf.com to resolve the issue. Thanks!